Whats your thought on the 7mm-08??

skeetlee

I have been doing some reading on the 7mm-08 and it sounds like a better option than a 308 winchester for a long range steel plate shooter. We cant hunt with rifles for deer here in Illinois but i might shoot a coyote with one. Just looking at some different things and thought i would ask about this chambering. Thanks lee

Pretty hard for a steel plate to run off from either.

Google it.

What can you use a rifle for in the Communist State of Illinois for anyway??

Clayman

Coyotes are the only thing you can shoot with a center fire rifle here in this corrupt state of Illinois. If it wasn't for Chicago This place would be a good place to live. Lots of big deer, lots of ditch dogs to shoot at, and plenty of waterfowl flying down the slide! I have been to Chicago a couple of times and I hate the place!!! I see nothing good about it what so ever. If i ever halve to go back that will be to soon!
So you think the 7mm-08 will kill some steel! I dont need another rifle, but i want one! I would like to find an action so i can have another built, is what i would really like! Lee

I have a couple- great round shoots inside the 308 on wind and should work great for plates. I hunt with one as well. JHG

I have a Browning Micro Medallion,got to be about 14 years old and it has killed more game than any gun in the safe.
Topped with a leoupold 1.75 x 6 scope and some very nice wood.That little 7mm-08 is sure my go to gun.

I shot a 700 308 for fifteen years and recently bought a model 7 708.The bullet choices are less for the seven and I can't shoot well enough to take advantage of the better trajectory.Stick with the 308.

Quote:
I shot a 700 308 for fifteen years and recently bought a model 7 708.The bullet choices are less for the seven and I can't shoot well enough to take advantage of the better trajectory.Stick with the 308.

Just cause you can't shoot well enough to take advantage of the better chambering doesn't mean the rest of us can't.

7-08 is a better choice than the 308.

[beeep], if someone was not looking for something better, why did they neck the 308 down to 7-08 to start with? Or 260 or 243 for that matter.

Clayman

I have both and for deer, the 7mm-08 usually gets the nod. But if I had to choose just one, (heaven forbid!!), and if I was using for other game like black bear or elk, I'd probably go with the .308.

I have absolutely no desire to own a 308. I dont understand the popularity of it myself. I know there is a ton of data and it is easy to load and all the other stuff, but man It just seems like a pig to me. Big and slow! jmho though! Lee

Quote:
[beeep], if someone was not looking for something better, why did they neck the 308 down to 7-08 to start with?

You tell us? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

100's of high power silhouette shooters can't be wrong. The 7mm-08 with a 162 Amax is what I use to knock down those 50 lb. rams at 500 meters. Ive used this caliber in both my standard and hunter rifle for the past 20 years and have no regrets. The .308 is a good round but for silhouette, it has a bit more kick and the ballistics aren't quite as good as the 7mm. In this game we try and load to the minimum for the best accuracy, wind bucking capabilities with consistent knockdown on the rams. For the other targets I use a light load with the Sierra 130's.

Kevin

The 7-08 is one of my all-time favorite cartridges. Have killed more deer with it than I can remember. Best whitetail cartridge of all time, IMO. It is inherently accurate and great for target/silhoutte shooting also. 7mm bullets have high BC's. No flies on the 7-08, believe me. It is just about as good as it gets, when ALL factors are considered......

Quote:
I have absolutely no desire to own a 308. I dont understand the popularity of it myself. I know there is a ton of data and it is easy to load and all the other stuff, but man It just seems like a pig to me. Big and slow! jmho though! Lee

According to the books the .308 on average is a little faster (100-200 fps)than the 7mm-08 with the same bullet weights.

Back