Whats your thought on the 7mm-08??

That's a fine deer/antelope rifle. In that niche it has an advantage over the .308. I haven't been saying anything different at any point, if you read back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:
Yes, that's why I prefer it for a big-game cartridge. I want a 165 - 200 gr. bullet. I also want a semi-auto and the .308 works very nicely for that combination.
Is it the ultimate caliber ever developed? Nope.
But it is accurate and versatile.
The 7mm-08 would do some things better, but to say it's any kind of huge improvement on a .308 is quite a stretch.

That was my original post. I can get factory .308 180 gr. Nosler Partition loads from Federal.
- 0 -- 100 - 200- 300 - 400- 500
2570- 2388 2213 2045 1885 1734 ft/sec.
2640- 2278 1957 1672 1420 1202 Ft/Lbs.
------ 0.7 - 3.2- 7.5 - 13.6- 22.5 - Drift@10 mph
------ 1.1 2.3 -0 -9.4 -26.9 -54.7 - Drop

The heaviest Federal-loaded Partition for the 7mm/08 is 140 gr.
2800 2591 2392 2202 2020 1847
2437 2088 1779 1507 1269 1061
---- 0.8 - 3.1 - 7.3 - 13.4 - 21.8
---- 0.8 1.8 -0 -8.0 -23.1 -46.6

Now, that's the same company loading the ammo, so I'm gonna figure they're trying to get the maximum performance out of both loads. Explain to me how the 7mm/08 is a huge improvment over the .308 using the criteria in my original post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Just because some people got a little carried away defending their pet cartridge doesn't change the fact that each one has an advantage in a certain situation. They're so close in performance you need to go to extremes (800 yard wind drift vs. 200 gr. bullets and +/- 2 gr. powder difference) to "prove" the point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Both of them make a fine, low recoil hunting cartridge if used within their capabilities.

We have different hunting situations. I'm in Vietnam-like brush crawling rainforest where the shots are going to be 100 yards or less. I prefer a heavy bullet hitting at a velocity where it's going to expand without fragmenting and I can ignore wind drift, bullet drop and minute-of-angle accuracy. I understand that my ammo choice forces me to pass on the 500+ yard shots (fat chance) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
In my situation, would you still trade your .308 in on a 7mm/08? I think I'd be worse off, or no improvement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
That big Partition does have some advantages within it's envelope.

Quote:
I load Partitions in 3 weights, 165, 180 and 200. The 200s are for very specific situations. The 165s are for more open country.

You reload, so why the factory ammo comparision?

Quote:

As far as recoil goes goes, the .308 is mild, in my opinion. My rifle's heavy and it soaks a lot of it up.

I don't like carrying heavy rifles. Why would you choose to your in "Vietnam type jungle" terrain?

Don't hunt the Pacific SW, but I do mill about in the Adirondacks every now & then...
Oct07new035.jpg

And I don't want to lug a heavy gun around going up here...
Oct07new033.jpg

Just so I can shoot down through the brush like here...
Oct07new038.jpg

See?

We're not so different, you and I! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'll keep my 7-08, thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
See?

Those would be considered a clearing here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif A flat spot in the reprod. Those ferns here are up to your neck a lot of places, and I've been in them over my head a few times. There's 2 feet of moss hanging off the tree limbs, too.

Quote:
You reload, so why the factory ammo comparision?

Not everyone reloads, and even if you do, you might have to buy off the shelf under some circumstances. I've never gone hunting and forgot my ammo, but it could happen, considering how stupid I am. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:
I don't like carrying heavy rifles. Why would you choose to your in "Vietnam type jungle" terrain?

It's a semi-auto with a 3-9X Leupold. Is there a light-weight semi-auto? Mine's 9 1/2 lbs. empty. That soaks up .308 recoil just fine. Browning's Lightweight Stalker BAR is just over 7 without a scope and mount, as an example, Remington R-25 is 8 3/4.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
We're not so different, you and I!

Everybody says that until they've get into the heavy brush and rain. When they come out, then they're different. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Naw, it's good getting your perspective on it. I'm sure someone could do fine hunting elk with a 7mm/08, it's a good cartridge.

Quote:
....That alone, pretty much says it all. The biggest problem with stupid people, is that they do not know they are stupid. As far as guns go, you would be the poster child here.....

Now wait a dadgum minute, 2muchgun - I thought you dubbed me the poster child of ignorance just last year....am I slipping? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

After reading (and laughing) through most of this argument, all I have to say is...

"I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!"

&

"LOUD NOISES!"

-Brick Tamland

Quote:
After reading (and laughing) through most of this argument, all I have to say is...

"I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!"

&

"LOUD NOISES!"

-Brick Tamland

Haha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Maybe its because you have a "reading disability" like me. LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .....Just kidding.

Quote:
Thanks, Tactical. But I'm making use of my Hukt on Fonx. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Haha.... Forget the tutor,thats what I need. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
....I've shot enough brush to know neither one of them will maintain a straight trajectory after hitting even a small twig.

Now that has to be one of the better pieces of information disclosed so far this new year.

I'm curious...Were you shooting at and hoping to hit something behind the brush or were you just "shooting brush"? I hope these weren't "sound shots" as in, "I heard something so I shot at it through the brush..." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

-BCB

Well at least somebody has a sense of humor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Personally, I think I'd go with the 7-08 just because I'm not very partial to .30 rounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif In fact, it's up in the air for my next rifle of either a 7-08 or a .260. But that's not for a while, so I have time to decide. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:

7-08 offers the advantage of less powder, less recoil and flatter trajectory from the same 7lb deer rifle

EXACTLY what I've been trying to say all along..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Quote:
Quote:
....That alone, pretty much says it all. The biggest problem with stupid people, is that they do not know they are stupid. As far as guns go, you would be the poster child here.....

Now wait a dadgum minute, 2muchgun - I thought you dubbed me the poster child of ignorance just last year....am I slipping? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry, Tom. Did not mean to intrude on your territory...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
I'm curious...Were you shooting at and hoping to hit something behind the brush or were you just "shooting brush"?

I was shooting at elk running through the brush/trees. If you see sticks, bark and pine needles falling, you can figure you didn't hit anything. Haven't you ever shot a stick or tree? I'm at about 7 now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Quote:
I hope these weren't "sound shots" as in, "I heard something so I shot at it through the brush...

Does that work? I never tried it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Quote:
Quote:
I'm curious...Were you shooting at and hoping to hit something behind the brush or were you just "shooting brush"?

I was shooting at elk running through the brush/trees. If you see sticks, bark and pine needles falling, you can figure you didn't hit anything. Haven't you ever shot a stick or tree? I'm at about 7 now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Quote:
I hope these weren't "sound shots" as in, "I heard something so I shot at it through the brush...

Does that work? I never tried it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I wasn't sure of the extent of your knowledge on the subject....

You just happen to be about the only person I've read about on the Internet that claimed any expertise on the topic, so I thought maybe you knew something the rest of us didn't...

It's been awhile, but the last time I remember sticks, branches, and leaves falling from gunfire was when we were getting mortared... No elk involved...

-BCB

There were some test results I saw where they shot various projectiles through a screen of (if I remember correcly) 1/4" dowels, closely spaced. Nothing passed through them without major deflection. The best performance was with 12 gauge slugs, but they didn't even do that well.

Here's a more recent one, but it's a lot less involved:

Brush test

Jack O'Conner also did some similar testing and it is available in his "Gun Book".

Another "home-made" test: Deflection test

Unless the game animal is very close to the point of deflection, it's going to be pretty safe.

Quote:
You just happen to be about the only person I've read about on the Internet that claimed any expertise on the topic, so I thought maybe you knew something the rest of us didn't...

Is that sarcasm I see before me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:
but the last time I remember sticks, branches, and leaves falling from gunfire was when we were getting mortared... No elk involved...

Well, I'm glad they missed you. A couple of my buddies came back missing various bits and pieces.

I have a T/C Encore 28" Blued, Fluted Barrel and love it and I'm a reloader. It shots Speeer 130gr. Spitzer bullets very accurate and factory 139gr Hornady SST's, 140gr Prvi Partizan will hit just about one on top of each other. I'm going try an reload some Sierra 120gr SPT and the Speer Spitzer Soft Point to use on Coyotes. I have a Encore 25-06 that i'm using on Coyotes right now until I see what the Sierra or Speer 120gr's will do in the gun.
The 7mm-08rem. is a very good rifle for coyotes, deer and just about any animal animal you would want to shot except: Gizzly bear, Water buffalo etc.... (You would want somethig larger!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You will not go wrong if you bought a 7mm-08rem rifle!!!

I have read numerous defelction tests over the years. All more extensive than that one.

Of the common top 15 or so cartridges, the 338 Win seemed to prevail more than any other cartridge.

FWIW, "brush busting" is pretty much a myth. I've at least a dozen "brush busters" in the safe......

Back