Your Favorite Go To Deer Rifle?

My no.1 will have to be my 7mm08 AI. Remmy action, Douglas barrel in a McMillian stock and a Sightron Big Sky for glass. With a 100 grain HP at around 3500FPS is an absolute lazer and hits like the hammer of Thor. Love that rifle!!

I've got an old remmy 788 6mm rem. I watched my dad take a ton of deer with it as a kid, I shot my first 3 deer with it, and my 8 year old daughter will take her first with it as soon as she's old enough ( my son will use it as well, but he's only 5 now)

Kickin' it old school with the Remington 760 auto in .30-06. I don't even hunt with it anymore as I now only hunt deer with a handgun, but I still love her.

What is really strange about this rifle is that it actually shoots better then I'd ever expect given the reputation of this model. It's right at 1 inch at 100 yards, which from what I've read and heard is unusually good for a Remmy autoloader of this vintage.

No deer has ever walked away from the ol' Game Getter once she barked, and in my hands alone she's felled over 20 deer, and that was after a distinguished career with her original owner who sadly passed away.

The crowning moment in my relationship with this rifle was when I piled up a 10 pointer as he was on a balls-to-the-wall, full throttle run through a hay field after some neighbors shot at him with their little .30-30 deer wounders. Took me 3 shots to find the lead, but when I did he was Dead Deer Running. Smack! Lights out with a boiler room shot. Siyanara. Even better is my dad was standing right there and said, "Nice shot. You had me wondering if I was going to have to load up and pick him off for you."

Heavy? Yes. Overkill? Maybe. Still love it? Always.

Grouse

x bolt in 270 wsm is what I carry now, but in the past my model 70 243 wssm and before that my fathers model 70 pre 64 30/06!

I'd have to pick two. One is an FN custom 6.5-284 and the other is a Kimber Montana in 257 Roberts.

The first deer I ever killed was when I was about 12 years old. All my Dad let me use back then was one of those ".30-30 deer wounders". Hit at about 80 yards, the 4-point (Western Count) Muley ran all of maybe two yards. After that I killed quite a few more growing up with that same 30-30 and I never lost a single one. I wonder what I was doing wrong by not having a bunch of deer run off after being hit by that known "deer wounder".

Ruger #1 280 Rem, my "go to" for close to 20 years. Last several years with a 140 TSX. It's taken deer from 15 yds to 450 yds.

50 cal Encore with 300gr SST or 44mag Contender in Ohio all we can use is a shotgun, muzzleloader or handgun but I've taken more than a few deer in PA with a mod 94 32 Winchester when I first started deer hunting

For the last few years I have been using a model 700 mountain rifle in 7mm-08, before that I used a 7mm Rem Mag for close to 30 years. That is except last year I used a model 721 in 300 H&H.

Bought 3 tags this year and filled them all, used a M70Fwt 7-08, M77 Ruger .257 Roberts and a M99R 250 Savage. The .257 is probably my favorite, at least till I get a Kimber 84M Classic Select in the the same chambering.

I'm a North eastern whitetail deer hunter.Where the law requires a shotgun,I use a Benelli Super Black Eagle with a custom E.R. Shaw fully rifled slug barrel with a Burris Signature 1.5-6 scope.

Where I'm allowed to use a rifle, the Browning BAR has proven to be an amazing tool in providing an accurate first shot and easy follow up shots at those fleeting whitetails.The ubiquitous 30-06 gets the nod.

For sever years it has been my pree.64 Winchester M70 in .264 Win. Mag.

Might change up this year and pack my new Winchester Feather Weight in .243 Win.

Here in Iowa we are restricted to shotguns and muzzleloaders. For the last 7 years a knight .45 has been my deer rifle. Pushing a 200 grain shockwave at 2270 it is more than enough for any deer.

Back