Wyoming Weekend II, anyone...???

The more the merrier, I say! Wyoming is a big state and I'm sure we can find a dog for everyone. TWOTWENTYSWIFT said he is going too. Are you going Scattergunner? I know you had some family commitments. Hope you can make it. We have about a thousand rounds loaded up and ready to roll. Now if my new AR barrel gets here on time............. Rock and Roll, Baby! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Paul

(Now I just gotta get those shooting benches done.)

Moose57, et al:

It's still a little iffy for me, at this point. But I remain optomistic. I'll know fairly soon for sure, but right now I'm planning on it.

REM:

Highway 30 will put you too far north from where we'll likely hunt. Depending on how many people show up, we may send a party up north of Ft. Bridger to Kemmerer, but hadn't really planned on concentrating on that area. Not wanting to broadcast where exactly we'll be headed, the area's name will remain somewhat a mystery, except via email. But Ft. Bridger will be closer to that area and more central over all. I'll try and fire off an email to you soon.

Scattergunner

Fort Bridger is not a problem. Just looking at the map not wanting to go too far out of the way.
I didn't know how much I should keep the discussion on the board and how much to try to use e-mail but kind of figured to keep the discussion mostly here. Don't need to know much more than where to show up. We're pretty flexible once we hit the road.
What kind of temps are to be expected. I suppose anywhere from 40 to 90 possibly even in the same day. Anyway appreciate the opportunityto join in and let me know if there is anything we can do.

Anyone think they might be showing up for the rendevous a few hours early? We'll be motoring on by on I-80 that morning, heading out for a week long shoot further east. Might make a short detour just to say "howdy" if there will be a few of you guys already there. I'd imagine we'll be in the area no later than about 8:30am though.

- DAA

DAA

We'll probably meet you on the road somewhere east of there but don't know any way we could ever make connections. We'll be coming from the east on 80 and probably hit Ft Bridger sometime mid morning. At any rate don't enjoy yourself too much. I'm sure a week will be pretty tough. Is this just pleasure or are you running your camera too. I suppose the camera is a pretty close companion most of the time.
REM

DAA,

I wish I could be there a little earlier, but I don't see it happening for me. Being there at all is still kind of up in the air for me, but I know any earlier will be impossible. Too bad, it'd be good to meet you. Are you going to be filming on your hunt as well? Good luck to you!

I just spotted this in the Denver Post. It may be of interest to some of you attending this outing that may be looking for some extra-cirricular activity.

KEMMERER, Wyo. - Early in June, once the sage-peppered land has recovered from winter's deep freeze, fishing season begins.

But instead of rods and reels, residents and visitors grab carpenters' tools. Who needs bait? A steady hand and a little luck are enough to coax 50,000-year-old Diplomystus, Knightia and Priscacara to the surface.

At most organized fossil digs in the region and around the country, volunteers are allowed to participate but can't keep what they find. But at some quarries outside this town, participants can pay a fee and keep their catch.

Hundreds of thousands of fish fossils and other aquatic and land specimens have been mined from the chalky limestone buttes that startle the landscape outside the town.

We'll be using the camera a lot on this trip. It will definitely end up being a segment in our next video. I can hardly wait to get going! If you see a white Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4, with the back seat piled to the ceiling with rifles, and a couple of happy looking guys in the front seat, that's us!

- DAA

Storm'

Welcome to PM! Also, here's the pertinents from an earlier post:
OK all you PM P-dog Punishers, listen up!

We have settled on the date of May 31, 2003 for this thing to go down. Now, we need a a place for the convoy to assemble before heading out to the P-dog towns, and a time at which to do so.

I propose the following; that any PM'er desiring to be a part of this shoot, be at Ft. Bridger State Historic Site (near the entrance. If there's an entrance fee, just outside the fee booth. ) in Ft. Bridger, WY, just south of the Ft. Bridger Exit off I-80, at 12:00 hours, sharp!

Sound like a plan?
Watch for email on this too. If you don't list your address on your PM profile, please email it to me and I'll add you to the dist. list.

It looks like my rifles aren't going to be good enough for this round! I don't see any way possible for me to shoot from Cincinnati, and hit a danged prarie dog in Wyoming!!!!!!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
So I guess you guys will have to kill a few extra for me! :rolleyes:

The WY winds weren't calm yesterday! I took my friends visiting from Louisianna up there yesterday to see what we could see. Had a nice morning, shot about a dozen rock chucks, a couple of jack rabbits and who knows how many ground squirrels - all from one spot. But then the wind came up and it was slim pickens after that. Cruised around for a few hours just checking out new ground and did find a couple more rock chuck colonies to go back and shoot another time, but didn't even bother trying to shoot as the wind was just TOO much!

By the way Stormbringer, I got a line on some new rock chuck ground you and I are going to have to go check out. Same general direction as the old spot, but closer. Might be hard to choose between that and fishing!

- DAA

DAA,
Amen to that! I was up there yesterday. The morning started out nice enough, but then the wind kicked in and blew big time. There also was heavy clouds and a few sprinkles where I was hunting.

I was able to make quite a few shots on P-dogs, but once the wind took over, I put my rifle away. One of the last ones I shot was about 400 yards out. It took me 9 shots to dispatch the little varmint. I had dust flying everywhere for the first 8.The only reason he didn't dive for cover was because he couldn't see me or hear my rifle over the wind.

I did watch a rock chuck commit suicide on the highway. They were painting stripes going back to Evanston. He just kind of wandered out in front of me. I was able to steer clear of him, but the semi behind me made a cardboard target of him. It was a pretty bizarre scene. He was a big boy too. Maybe you saw him on the way back. I also counted 2 coyotes and 1 fox hit by vehicles before pulling back into Evanston.

He must have heard you were in the area and didn't want to die by firing squad...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif -Mike

Much as I love fishing you know my true passion lies with chuck hunting. Give me a holler when you can make it out again. I did finally get into some Wipers at Willard with Zachary Saturday. We caught 9 and lost three, from 3:30 to 8:00. Zach and I each caught one that were near the State record!

Scattergunner,

I told my usual hunting pards about this trip hoping they'd come along. Unfortunately, they can't but they really want to try pd hunting.

So, I'm not going to be joining in with you guys this time. Me and my pals are getting up an all boys trip later in the summer (as soon as the kitchen passes are approved).

Good luck!!!! Don't forget to post pics!!!!!

RudeDawg

WYOMING?.....SHOOTING?.......PRARIE DOGS!!!!..........OH YEAH, I'M THERE!!! Like Paul (Moose57) said, I'm definately there. The ammo's loaded, the AR is almost broke in and I'm definately up for a target rich environment. Besides, the Swift has been whining and scratching on the gun safe door. He knows it's about time to head up there and lately he's been getting neglected. So we'll see you gunslingers at high noon for the shootout! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Only 3 days left till the next Wyoming Weekend! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif So who all is coming for sure? It would be nice to know so we don't leave anyone behind. Remember to bring the sun screen! Supposed to be sunny and hot. We'll see you there!

Paul

Paul, et al: (Hey, that rhymes...he-he)

Sorry about being largely incommunicado, as of late. I'm still trying to make it fly for me being there Saturday. It's looking more promising, but still uncertain at this point. I won't know for sure until Saturday morning. If my boy wants to stay at our campout we'll be at, well sorry guys, he gets to make the call. If he wants to make a trip to WY with me or go see his mom instead, I'm in like Flynn, whoever he was. So, if I'm there at noon, you'll know I made it. If I'm not there by 12 noon sharp, don't wait for me.

Sorry to be such a flake about this, but my boy comes first.

I'll continue to try and take the lead on planning, fielding questions, and that sort of thing. There's only two days until this thing is set to go down. Paul, if you still have my cell number, feel free to call me on it, if you have any questions. Also, I'm actually in the book, the only one by my first and last name married to a gal named Emily, in Kaysville. Call me at home if you want to. I don't mind.

I have been busier than a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest the last week of so. I apologize if some have wondered if this thing was still happening. But worry not, my friends! Paul (Moose57) knows the area and where to get into them furry varmints. Randy (RanUT) and Mike (Mike Paul) I believe may still be going as well. There are several other "locals" that will be in attendance, so those of you coming some distance, don't worry about getting skunked.

I'm sending out an email to all those I understand to be planning on attneding, just hoping to confirm numbers a little better. Let me know if you plan on coming, but didn't get today's email from me.

Back