What do you do to feed the wife and kids?

I work for the Department of Transportaion here in KS, My dad and I also own a gun shop called Buffalo Creek Firearms. Also hunt and fish when I get the chance.

4 yrs Air Traffic Control (Air Force) now heading to Alaska to do the civilian air traffic thing. Fiancee pays the bills for now until I get back to work.

Iron worker build grain bins from one end of Mo. to the other. butler buildings is all I know besides hunting and fly fishing.

It's interesting seeing what others do to make a living.

Starting out I thought I'd be a professional musician but when I found out guitar, banjo and mandolin players are dime a dozen I thought maybe I'd get a real job. My mainstay job has been working in the telephone industry since 1965. I started out as a splicer but when I moved to Alaska in '74 I was called upon to do a little linework and I&R. I went inside as a facility tech and moved over to be an outside plant engineer. I've worked on both coasts and overseas in the Philippines, Viet Nam, Thailand, Taiwan and a few places I can't talk about.

When Verizon decided to dump more of us older employees in 2003 I and about 76,000 others left the company. On occasion I do a little consulting but for all intents and purposes I'm retired. At this point my desire to go fishing or hunting takes priority over their poor management. With their taking away the employees pension fund and placing the burden of health insurance on both active and retired employees I wouldn't want to work for them, anyway.

I have been a helicopter pilot for a big company for the last four years. I have a friend who owns his own heli so I also do contract flying for him when he needs a relief pilot. Then when im around home and have time I drive mixer truck,belly dump or operate heavy equipment.

Patrol Sergeant for the Casper Police Department supervising a 7 to 10 person patrol team (depending on staffing). Department authorized strength is 92 sworn officers. Also supervise the departments Advanced Accident Investigation Team (Fatality and serious injury accidents), run the departments TASER program and I am a State Certified Firearms Instructor.

I love my schedule since I work 3 on 4 off one week and then 4 on 3 off the next. Gives me lots of time to pursue my hunting and fishing career. Almost as much time off as the hose draggers.........er, I mean fireman /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but not quite.

Never gonna get rich but its a living.

I'm a diesel mechanic for an International dealership in northern nevada. Been at the same job for 22 1/2 years and in the trade for 27. It's been good to me. the company really takes care of their employees.

RTLOF(TONY)

1st
USAF avionic tech. (6 years)
then
software engineer for no name companies like Cisco, Lucent, 3Com and a whole lot of companies that went under. (27 years)

burned out, crashed and burned, moved to Maine

now
I still trouble shoot system failures but as an
EMT 3 days on 4 days off
aka field service tech for God

miss the computer paycheck,
DON'T miss the BS

used to be that I would go to a company who's computer network crashed and get it working, and they would scream and yell that it cost them a bajillion dollars an hour for down time.
now I go to someone's house who just had a heart attack, work it, and tell their spouse of 60 years, sorry..... and they give me a weak smile and thank me for trying.

makes you wonder about some people's sense of priority /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I am in my 34th year as a police officer. Worked my way to Chief. Going to pull the pin at the end of this year and do something else. Love the men and women in police work, don't have much use for the criminals.

Back