To Post, Or Not To Post, That Is The Question???

So... On the subject of preserving the historical content, I'm already on board with keeping it if reasonably possible. GC's shotgun thread, I just posted into, that's one that comes to mind as worth saving. But hardly practical to copy and paste to a new format.

That said... If it's not reasonably possible to save the old content, well, it is what it is, at that point.

I will say, just my opinion, but that historical content is the only value this place has. If it can't be saved, just start a new board from scratch. With a new name and a new url. It's not worth paying to carry this brand forward for it's own sake. Paying sponsors have to be so few as to be laughable. Most of the banner ads have dead links. And not worth dealing with the current owners unless they are being cooperative. If, the content can't be carried forward, and, the current owners want too much $$ just for the name and url. Just start something brand new and invite folks to come and let this place die. In my opinion.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: REID2168i got 11 years vested in my thread and anyone thinks it all just should be wiped out i think is a JOKE

The fact that you have 11 years invested in your own thread actually is a joke! Not much of it, if any is pertinent information of tactics and methods of predator hunting.

You seem to really wear your feelings on your sleeve and thinned skinned but I'll go ahead and break it to you that the sun will rise tomorrow if we never hear or see stories about long walks by the lake with "your baby Stephy"!!! Being butthurt about loosing your precious thread over the progression of the site is extremely selfish.

Originally Posted By: DAASo... On the subject of preserving the historical content, I'm already on board with keeping it if reasonably possible. GC's shotgun thread, I just posted into, that's one that comes to mind as worth saving. But hardly practical to copy and paste to a new format.

That said... If it's not reasonably possible to save the old content, well, it is what it is, at that point.

I will say, just my opinion, but that historical content is the only value this place has. If it can't be saved, just start a new board from scratch. With a new name and a new url. It's not worth paying to carry this brand forward for it's own sake. Paying sponsors have to be so few as to be laughable. Most of the banner ads have dead links. And not worth dealing with the current owners unless they are being cooperative. If, the content can't be carried forward, and, the current owners want too much $$ just for the name and url. Just start something brand new and invite folks to come and let this place die. In my opinion.

- DAA

EXACTLY!

Originally Posted By: Kino MOriginally Posted By: REID2168i got 11 years vested in my thread and anyone thinks it all just should be wiped out i think is a JOKE

The fact that you have 11 years invested in your own thread actually is a joke! Not much of it, if any is pertinent information of tactics and methods of predator hunting.

You seem to really wear your feelings on your sleeve and thinned skinned but I'll go ahead and break it to you that the sun will rise tomorrow if we never hear or see stories about long walks by the lake with "your baby Stephy"!!! Being butthurt about loosing your precious thread over the progression of the site is extremely selfish.

so Queeno if nobody likes my stuff then why does my thread have 30k views in 60 days over my doggy luv vids Johnny Know Nothin....my thread aint about tryin to tell people what to do like u try to do Queeno.... which isnt much and i can assure u my business is none of it.....get it Queeno..my vids prove what i can do time and time again without me saying a word about how to do this that or the other...Queeno ill let them throw me off tonight and erase my whole thread if U/Queeno promise to not post or show anymore videos of the stuff u think people wanna see as they are embarassing to be honest.........hence why u wanna start over...good thing nobody watches your stuff anyway...dont cry so much the sun will come up tomorrow Queeno remeber that

We can be civil, or we can not talk about it at all.

Some people see value in keeping our history. Some don't. It's likely that they aren't going to agree on that.

Stu i don't think one single person here really wants to loose any of the old threads that really are packed with information, all some of us are saying is cut it loose it it keeps the site from evolving and or is to costly, that's it.

FWIW, I don't want to lose > 21 years of history. What I want really doesn't matter as the decision isn't up to me, I'm just the web monkey.

No likes the site software any more, it hasn't kept up with technology & is no longer good for a forum. What to do about it has been an on-going question for years. But it's what Will chose to use when he first started the site, so it's what we've had to deal with ever since.

Originally Posted By: DAAIf Skinney doesn't post it soon, I'm gonna
tt2.gif

But to the point that the conversation has taken... I've mentioned this here before. Somebody needs to buy this place. Gut it. Renovate it. Bring it back with modern phone picture/video posting friendly, likes enabled etc., forum software. There's a bunch of them to choose from. Two of my friends that own and run successful forums (both offroad oriented) use, like and recommend Xenforo. They tell me migrating the content, usernames, passwords etc. from this ancient UBB.threads forum is possible, and not even technically difficult. But, (skilled) time consuming.

Afraid, custom scripting to migrate the backlog of content might be spendy... I bet that, and a new software package on a sufficiently robust server, will cost more than this place is worth (I bet it brings in practically nothing in $ now - click some of those banners, see where they go, lol!). I think porting the historical content would be important though. It's barely even searchable now, but with proper data migration, it could be turned into a gold mine of a database. That, along with a fairly seamless username/PW transition, would be the value proposition. Otherwise, just start a brand new forum. Lot cheaper and easier.

I'm just spending other peoples money out loud here. That's what it would take to bring this place back from the dead though.

- DAA

I've actually recommended xenforo for us in the past. Migration from Infopop to it is possible. I think it has all the features & functionality that we could possible want & at this time still prefer it over any other option I've seen.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerI was not here at the beginning or at the posse. Like I said, when I found the place everyone seemed to know each other and have history. When I was asked to moderate I read a lot of the back stories as much as I could. If I remember correctly the early predator masters forum was owned by by Mike Paul who payed all the server cost and had input from Will’s Widow and son. There were not sponsors then and only a few hundred members.

Over time the internet picked up steam and Will’s relatives lost interest and Mike took less interest. Someone (don’t remember who) saw $$$ and wanted to buy the place and have a magazine and all that and was offering to buy it. The mods and admin at the time wanted to get it free and create a non-profit educational organization. That because the 501(c)4 that is it today. As server prices increased they started taking on sponsors instead of charging a membership fee.

A board of directors filed the paper work for the 501(c)4 and Mike Paul and signed over the name and trade mark to the new PM. I never met Mike Paul but he seemed like a stand up guy to me.

That’s how I remember it in a nutshell, but someone else may remember it better.

I don’t believe any of the original board members are still involved. I will have it see if I can did you the 501 filing papers to see who else was on there.

This^^^

I was part of it. There had been some pretty sneaky treachery attempted (by someone who is long since gone) & the decision to change was made to take the prospect of money out of it to prevent this from happening again

Ok, I've gone back & read the entire thread. I must say that I do appreciate skinney having an interest in trying to help get some changes accomplished here.

How that may develop I can't say, but it is appreciated by myself. I've been part of this place for over 21 years now & would like to see some things happen.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishOk, I've gone back & read the entire thread. I must say that I do appreciate skinney having an interest in trying to help get some changes accomplished here.

How that may develop I can't say, but it is appreciated by myself. I've been part of this place for over 21 years now & would like to see some things happen.

Can I put one of my web developers in touch with you, so you could grant him access as an admin for a day to see what this would require?

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: Stu FarishOk, I've gone back & read the entire thread. I must say that I do appreciate skinney having an interest in trying to help get some changes accomplished here.

Can I put one of my web developers in touch with you, so you could grant him access as an admin for a day to see what this would require?

Decisions is not up to me but

I suggest you do it Stu

I second Infidel's motion. If there's a way to let the tech experts in for some consulting, let's see if we can get some traction.

Originally Posted By: borkonNothing will bring this site back.

One reason is RedFrog.
One is Facebook.
One is too many good guys got banned.
One is, once someone gets "notoriety ", they just focus on themselves.

James, go back and look at your last 100 posts and you'll get #4.
Enjoy your stuff, don't get me wrong, but once someone gets a "big name", it's seldom they chime in and help a "newbie".

Skinney, haven’t watched your video but I’ll look it up. Sounds interesting.

Just found this thread and read through it… so I’ve been in the discussion for 10 min….

You’re getting hints at some of the difficulties encountered a few times in the past at PM right in this thread. Some searching of the historical documents being discussed will reveal an abundance of the same difficulties! Kinda boils down to a group of guys, already vested in the topic at hand, trying to please everyone they can, for uncertain often unspecified reasons!

Brings to mind the following principle: Who runs a better restaurant? A chef who is passionate about his cooking? Or an MBA who knows how to set up and run a complex business?

My two cents… (check to make sure they’re not counterfeit!)

Learn from history. Move forward, not in circles.

Can you run a successful internet forum and be passionate about the topic? Sure, just don’t post! ;-)

Originally Posted By: borkon
Enjoy your stuff, don't get me wrong, but once someone gets a "big name", it's seldom they chime in and help a "newbie".

This isn't necessarily about me. It's ultimately about trying to keep a like minded group together in one way shape or form.

I'm sure I've been labeled in ways I don't prefer but it's gonna happen regardless. I'm over it.

Goal #1 is to make this place work BUT... IF it can not happen. I'll go out of my way to make something similar.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: borkon

I'm sure I've been labeled in ways I don't prefer but it's gonna happen regardless. I'm over it.

Been there. DGAF

Quote:I will say, just my opinion, but that historical content is the only value this place has. If it can't be saved, just start a new board from scratch. With a new name and a new url.

Dave, if that is truly the case, why has no one done that and skipped all this talk? There must be a reason.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: YellowhammerQuote:I will say, just my opinion, but that historical content is the only value this place has. If it can't be saved, just start a new board from scratch. With a new name and a new url.

Dave, if that is truly the case, why has no one done that and skipped all this talk? There must be a reason.

It's the $$$ involved... To start new you need to pay the designer, and the developer out of pocket until the Forum looks good enough and generates enough traffic that paying sponsors want to advertise and will sustain the monthly or annual cost, with hopes to grow it enough, that it generates revenue and becomes profitable.

No one really knows how long it takes to build a platform like that, might be a year, might be 5 or 10, might be never.

Back