To Post, Or Not To Post, That Is The Question???

Originally Posted By: old catKeep it coming Skinney, I like & appreciate it.
Amen!

Pretty sad when videos get taken down just because they aren't a sponsor, despite not pimping their wares in it.

Originally Posted By: AWS
I haven't been involved with banning any longtime member and personally think that if any of the people you think would be an asset to the sight and want to come back on, I'm sure they could ask to be on the sight again and abide by the rules of the sight.

But again, people don't get banned because they are nice, informative and helpful.

I understand this and hope you aren't thinking that I'm somehow putting the blame on you for "anyone" getting banned.
I also agree, usually you don't get banned for being nice, informative or helpful. However, I think guys on a forum like this deserve at minimum a 2nd chance which I know, I KNOW first hand guys have gotten. I'm just thinking out loud, the lifetime thing from a forum is a pretty stout punishment, especially from fellas who have years upon years worth of posts and insight, I know for a fact there is a better way.

Originally Posted By: HuntSkinney,
I watch your stuff on YT as well as view your posts here. I've been on this site for ~17 years mainly as a lurker. However, I see you and what you bring to the sport as an ambassador to the sport. Your articulate, respectful and at the end of the day bring valuable content to the sport. I would hope others would see it this way.

Not having been involved in the "politics" of this site, I've seen this site dry up and didn't know why. I chalked it up to social media being the place to go today. Anyway, I enjoy this site and enjoy your content too. Good luck and thanks for the contribution.

First off I appreciate the insight, and interest in our work more than you know. We also appreciate your continued support in revisiting and maintaining the interest here as well, it is what keeps it going!

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobI think you should post it on Predator Masters!

If we don't get more activity on Predator Masters this place is going to die.

Right now the post on the bottom of Predator Hunting page is 8 weeks old. Not to many years ago it would of only taken one week to fill up the first page of the Predator Hunting Forum with posts, at this time of the year.

If Predator Masters members have to go to YouTube, Instagram and Facebook to see what they want, the activity on Predator Masters will decline even more.

Thanks for posting on Predator Masters skinney!

This is a very surefire way to look at it, and I believe you are very accurate and concise in your insight.

Originally Posted By: old catKeep it coming Skinney, I like & appreciate it.

Thank you, Thank You, you're much appreciated!

Originally Posted By: alf
Pretty sad when videos get taken down just because they aren't a sponsor, despite not pimping their wares in it.

Just so everyone here is aware. I contacted the mods a while ago, probably sometime last year, and they agreed to let me post my videos here without being a paying sponsor. SO I want to make sure everyone knows this, and the Mods and Admins here have my utmost appreciation for allowing me to do this. As I told them, most of my views are organic, they don't come from my followers, HOWEVER, like I've said many times, one of my goals is to fuel this forum. It's honestly, genuinely one of those places I enjoy coming to every single day that I get a chance to. I would love to see it get HUGE!

I think every person here wants the exact same thing in the case of having a thriving forum with participation from seasoned guys and new members joining.

How do we accomplish that? How do we foster an environment where guys can learn without being ridiculed? How about voicing your opinion without fear of being banned? How about keeping the place orderly but we can still joke without someone being thinned skinned and butthurt? How about posting videos or pictures that get taken down without any explanations? How about transparency?? How about every member being held to the same standard, even if they are or represent a sponser??

Guys, it all comes down to leadership with honest, open dialog,and participation. Currently there's about zero of that here and until that changes this site will continue to dwindle away.....

And back to the OP, post away Skinny, any post, podcast, video and or link that is pertaining to predator hunting and not a complete commercial or a plug should be allowed.

If Skinney doesn't post it soon, I'm gonna
tt2.gif

But to the point that the conversation has taken... I've mentioned this here before. Somebody needs to buy this place. Gut it. Renovate it. Bring it back with modern phone picture/video posting friendly, likes enabled etc., forum software. There's a bunch of them to choose from. Two of my friends that own and run successful forums (both offroad oriented) use, like and recommend Xenforo. They tell me migrating the content, usernames, passwords etc. from this ancient UBB.threads forum is possible, and not even technically difficult. But, (skilled) time consuming.

Afraid, custom scripting to migrate the backlog of content might be spendy... I bet that, and a new software package on a sufficiently robust server, will cost more than this place is worth (I bet it brings in practically nothing in $ now - click some of those banners, see where they go, lol!). I think porting the historical content would be important though. It's barely even searchable now, but with proper data migration, it could be turned into a gold mine of a database. That, along with a fairly seamless username/PW transition, would be the value proposition. Otherwise, just start a brand new forum. Lot cheaper and easier.

I'm just spending other peoples money out loud here. That's what it would take to bring this place back from the dead though.

- DAA

After watching the entire podcast and hearing what was said about PM, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be posted.
I can't say that it's all 100% factual as to what happened to this place but fairly close.
The exact opposite could be said about some of the others sites. There may be several members with A LOT of knowledge on the subject BUT (and it's a big but) their refusal to share information and even more so their demeanor and attitude towards new members ruins the chance of any growth.
Eventually both forums die instead of grow because of the same reason.

Originally Posted By: DAAIf Skinney doesn't post it soon, I'm gonna
tt2.gif

But to the point that the conversation has taken... I've mentioned this here before. Somebody needs to buy this place. Gut it. Renovate it. Bring it back with modern phone picture/video posting friendly, likes enabled etc., forum software. There's a bunch of them to choose from. Two of my friends that own and run successful forums (both offroad oriented) use, like and recommend Xenforo. They tell me migrating the content, usernames, passwords etc. from this ancient UBB.threads forum is possible, and not even technically difficult. But, (skilled) time consuming.

Afraid, custom scripting to migrate the backlog of content might be spendy... I bet that, and a new software package on a sufficiently robust server, will cost more than this place is worth (I bet it brings in practically nothing in $ now - click some of those banners, see where they go, lol!). I think porting the historical content would be important though. It's barely even searchable now, but with proper data migration, it could be turned into a gold mine of a database. That, along with a fairly seamless username/PW transition, would be the value proposition. Otherwise, just start a brand new forum. Lot cheaper and easier.

I'm just spending other peoples money out loud here. That's what it would take to bring this place back from the dead though.

- DAA

X2

Also, I watched the podcast with Cal. It was great. I went to instagram to look Cal up over there, but it said I'm permanently banned or suspended or something. I just signed up for an account over there maybe a couple months ago to look at some super wildlife photography a gal is doing. I literally have never made a post of any sort, and it said I'd violated community guidelines or something on that order.

Last edited:
Banned members have been brought back in the past. More times than not the banned was unwilling to come back under under terms of agreement (the reason they got banned in the first place). I don’t know of anyone who got banned before almost being begged to play nice.

The cry for “transparency” offended occurred. The option then was to air the dirty laundry or not. Doing so usually leads to an ugly back and forth that only made things worse.

It usually went something like this….. someone is a habitual jerk, is asked to tone it down, tells the mods to go fly a kite, (more than once or twice) and then got banned. Then all their buddies take sides and things start to spiral and often lead to someone else getting banned.

In a perfect world more people would be respectful and get along. Just watch the news for about 10 minutes and you see that doesn’t happen much.

Updating the site would be good, but as mentioned a lot of the past content might be lost. Tons of old pictures and links are no good anymore just due to changing internet sites.

I spent untold hours linking to sites in the biology forum for example to research papers and such that are dead links now because wherever they were hosted changed their website or script or something.

I don’t know all the answers, but it could be better for sure and have more traffic. But it will take a lot of time, money and interest on someone’s part. I do know a little about that.

Originally Posted By: DAA

- DAA

Originally Posted By: Yellowhammer
Updating the site would be good, but as mentioned a lot of the past content might be lost. Tons of old pictures and links are no good anymore just due to changing internet sites.

I spent untold hours linking to sites in the biology forum for example to research papers and such that are dead links now because wherever they were hosted changed their website or script or something.

I don’t know all the answers, but it could be better for sure and have more traffic. But it will take a lot of time, money and interest on someone’s part. I do know a little about that.

Sounds like we have 2 guys that know a lot!

ONE that can get some nasty good pics, the other who knows the major ins and outs of a revamp OR both. I would 100% be in support of this in more than one way, not just verbally but I would invest some time and some funding IF we could enough others on board to do the same.

I know there's some way to possibly start a patreon or donation page to get major updates or whatever it may take to make something like this happen.

For example I get anywhere from 1K to 3K unique visitors to my website a week, depending on time of year, I can easily post a link to here asking for support, or just a go to place for some of the best info and entertainment regarding our great lifestyle! That may only bring 10-100 newbies every month, but hey, it's a start!

I look at it this way, IMHO, this place, and the Admins that I have been in contact with over the years, have treated me awfully dang good, amazing for that matter, even now allowing me to post videos without paying for a sponsorship I'll do a lot to return that favor, more than just paying for a sponsorship. I know I can find others that will as well.

We should quite honestly figure something out, maybe we can contact one of the mods, have a conference call, and get some ballpark figures.

I wouldn’t ask permission from anyone James.

You guys create the best content related to our sport hands down.

Upper echelon.

The owners of this site should be HONORED to have an active member like you guys… everyone on here gets exited when O’Neill Opps content is posted.

Honestly guys, I understand that there is some great info that would be nice to be transferred but I have no doubts that everyone will get by just fine without it!! Its not like some sacred information like how the pyramids was built is getting lost!! IMO it would make new guys ask MORE questions and its not like there's not a few dudes around here that knows how to kill a coyote that shares information.

If someone just bought the name and transferred the members to a modern forum thats easy to use, easy to post pics and videos with active leadership I really think it would take off. Ease of use with smartphones is what will get new blood and bring back participation.

I don't completely agree. Second paragraph, I agree. First one, not so much.

There are metric crap tons of gold nuggets in the archives here. Stuff from Cal. Scott Huber. Rich Higgins. Blaine Eddy. Randy Roede. Many others. That stuff doesn't have an expiration date - it's every bit as valid and pertinent today as it was when it was written. And getting equally knowledgeable and experienced people, to put as much time and effort into that content, today, is virtually impossible. There were concepts being explored in depth here, back in the day, that you won't see happening again. Ain't nobody got time to do it anymore.

Accuracy and rifle tech from Keith, Jack Robertson, GC, me, others.

Getting all that content moved forward and easily searchable would be important to me. If you look hard enough, some of it IS like how the pyramids were built. There are some mighty wise heads, having some in depth back and forth on the finest of details. Like I said, you won't ever see that happening again, anywhere, ever.

- DAA

You said a mouthful there, Dave and I agree.

When I said I “knew something about that” I meant the time investment in moderating and doing some of the behind the scenes stuff, and nothing about the “how to” part of updating to a “modern” site.

Guys like you mentioned took a lot of time to construct posts to convey their knowledge and just plain old enjoyable reading, not just posting a few hero shots.

That takes time and passion that would be a shame to lose.

DAA, I guess I should have elaborated a little more pertaining to old post. I completely agree that its great and pertinent information, ESPECIALLY for novice hunters but if its to cost prohibitive to transfer or save than I see zero reason not to not cut the rope to the anchor of this sinking ship to salvage what members we currently have to build a better site and get new members in the sport.

Those names you listed are dudes most people have never even heard of, heck I haven't even heard of half of them and I've been here for a minute or two!

Originally Posted By: DAAI don't completely agree. Second paragraph, I agree. First one, not so much.

There are metric crap tons of gold nuggets in the archives here. Stuff from Cal. Scott Huber. Rich Higgins. Blaine Eddy. Randy Roede. Many others. That stuff doesn't have an expiration date - it's every bit as valid and pertinent today as it was when it was written. And getting equally knowledgeable and experienced people, to put as much time and effort into that content, today, is virtually impossible. There were concepts being explored in depth here, back in the day, that you won't see happening again. Ain't nobody got time to do it anymore.

Accuracy and rifle tech from Keith, Jack Robertson, GC, me, others.

Getting all that content moved forward and easily searchable would be important to me. If you look hard enough, some of it IS like how the pyramids were built. There are some mighty wise heads, having some in depth back and forth on the finest of details. Like I said, you won't ever see that happening again, anywhere, ever.

- DAA

This.

I have to agree with a lot said here, this site could use some serious updating. I hope someone figures out how to accomplish it.

Back