This Freebore is driving me crazy..... (6.5x47)

I should have added. I've done it all three ways and they are all still killing critters and winning things.

FW707 just gets by with good enough, huh? I guess that's how he can get hits at and beyond 1000 regularly...
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: CZ527Well if anyone has experience with this let me know.

Well, you've had a page and a half of replies from some of the sharpest guys on this site, and you still don't know any more about a simple chamber job than you know about trimming and chamfering brass!

If setting up the throat and freebore on a barrel is enough to "drive you crazy", it must have been a really short trip.

lol.gif
lol.gif

This is the kind of thing that drives people away from the site.

FW707, obviously you and I have very different opinions about whats acceptable and what is not. I don't spend a dollar just to say I have something. I want to know it inside and out, and take the very best care of it that I can.

Some people (including yourself I presume) are ok with "good enough." That's ok too. I know and like a lot of people like that.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm trying to learn a few things about a very specific topic from someone on this thread, and it would be better without an interjection.

Replies like yours are why more people that DO know don't reply or input into a thread... Nothing worse than a pissing match with an irrational antagonist when it would have been so much simpler not to ever type anything to start with...

I can tell you FW707 is obviously WAY ahead of you & gave sound advise. He has been there done that & I can guarantee his chit is way better than "close enough"... He won't say it; but if you look at some score boards you'll see that too. Yet here you come with blah blah blah because evidently your not getting the particular answer your looking for; or maybe some other reason I can't grasp or begin to absorb. Or maybe the freebore thing has spilled into other confusion???

If freebore blows your mind, maybe there are better hobbies than custom rifles in your future...

If your stubburn enough to stick with it, do yourself a favor:
- figure out who has a clue on this site & take their advise, not argue it
- learn that not all gun smiths are created equal
- have a reamer made. Keep it & when you burn your barrel things will be much easier... It's the only way to fly.

Please take no offense, none intended; only the truth. And before you reply to me... Refer back to my 1st statement, I'm done. Thanks for playing.

Coleridge, I sent you a pm.

I guess I should have realized custom rifles weren't my thing before I had the first half dozen built..... My bad.

I'll be honest... I think I get misunderstood sometimes.

I ask a lot of questions because I want to be sure I have some kind of plan when I go to the smith with it. Sending stuff halfway across the country leaves a large gap in the communication process, and therefore I like to have as much nailed down as possible when I go into the project.

Yes, it is absolutely frustrating to ask a question and get advice (good as it may be) about an alternative route. I guess I can't help it that it chaps me a little.

I think a problem that I have with this site, unlike others, is that I get this impression that if you don't know EVERYTHING you're automatically a novice and most likely pig headed ignorant.

I've had a lot of varmint and predator rifles built, and two long range machines, but this project is a little different.... And I had some questions.

In the end I talked to Erik Cortina, as I know he's a huge proponent of the cartridge. I got a simple, direct, polite response that for options A,B,C there were solutions X,Y,Z and that I could bet my boots that was the way to go. He even gave me some load data- a heck of a guy and a truly good sport.

Problem solved, thanks to those who helped.

Doing lots of homework is the best route, bar none !

This is largely a hunting site ,with a mix of shooters .

Getting other options tossed in never hurts.

Being stubborn enough to not listen , is a fault that some have more than others. Been there myself and doing my best to get better.

Text can have lots of differant tones .. sometimes it's much harder to get things across ,sometimes not.

Well said Tim.

I've always thought you were pretty cool. You seem to help when you can and provide comic relief when you can't.

I have literally looked at your avatar and had a change of mood. I think it's the sombrero that does it for me....

I have two 6.5 x 47 Lapua one of which is a bdl feed that I kiss the 130 boogers
For giggles I took some of my 140 hybrids that I shoot in an AI mag and they cycled in bdl

But no way I was gonna deal out advice or suggestions in this thread as it played out exactly as I had envisioned

Carry on

Originally Posted By: Buster HindendI have two 6.5 x 47 Lapua one of which is a bdl feed that I kiss the 130 boogers
I use the same boogers in mine.

Back