This Freebore is driving me crazy..... (6.5x47)

I learned a lot in about a week's time talking to Jim at Northland shooters. I knew I wanted to stay with the old 260 since I had so much brass for it but I also knew running mags was going to be a problem with that freebore. Jim told me quite a few guys he knew were actually running long actions with the 260 now. so far I'm really happy with the criterion and whatever bullet I put through it shoots great.

I've owned one Criterion barrel.
It had as nice of a fit and finish inside and out as any barrel I've owned and it shot great.
thumbup1.gif

I don't remember off hand how long a bdl mag box is but the bullet would nearly fall out of the case before running out of room.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeI don't remember off hand how long a bdl mag box is but the bullet would nearly fall out of the case before running out of room.

Yep,
it would be barely stuck in an AI mag too!!

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeI don't remember off hand how long a bdl mag box is but the bullet would nearly fall out of the case before running out of room.

Which bullet are you referring to?

I'm pretty sure if you wanted a 6.5 lapua with a .160 freebore shooting 140 hybrids your oal touching the lands would be around 2.850. I have an old bdl box mag sitting here and the inside measures 2.810.So it's not going to fit unless you wanted to jump the bullet. I hope this helps.

Well if anyone has experience with this let me know. In the mean time I'm waiting in defiance to tell me if this action is compatible with a Wyatts box. I'm hoping so but thinking not.

I'm a little disappointed. I thought if I gave up the Creedmoor I'd gain something from the shorter case of the Lapua.

It looks like it'll be a wash though. I'm not eating up quite as much case capacity with the Lapua, and I should benefit from the higher quality brass.

I have 180 freebore. 130 gr Nos AB loaded .005 off are an easy fit in my M7 mag. I will soon be sending the rifle to CDi to have it inlet in their new bottom metal and use AICS mags.

Originally Posted By: CZ527Well if anyone has experience with this let me know.

Well, you've had a page and a half of replies from some of the sharpest guys on this site, and you still don't know any more about a simple chamber job than you know about trimming and chamfering brass!

If setting up the throat and freebore on a barrel is enough to "drive you crazy", it must have been a really short trip.

lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: CZ527Well if anyone has experience with this let me know.

Well, you've had a page and a half of replies from some of the sharpest guys on this site, and you still don't know any more about a simple chamber job than you know about trimming and chamfering brass!

If setting up the throat and freebore on a barrel is enough to "drive you crazy", it must have been a really short trip.

lol.gif
lol.gif

This is the kind of thing that drives people away from the site.

FW707, obviously you and I have very different opinions about whats acceptable and what is not. I don't spend a dollar just to say I have something. I want to know it inside and out, and take the very best care of it that I can.

Some people (including yourself I presume) are ok with "good enough." That's ok too. I know and like a lot of people like that.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm trying to learn a few things about a very specific topic from someone on this thread, and it would be better without an interjection.

http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hi...cs-aka-freebore

Do you have your brass and does? Build a few dummy rounds of what you want, most Smith's can throat for whatever you want.

Wanting to have a ideal chamber for both 130's and 140's you will be making a little bit of a sacrifice with have the 140's farther in the case or have to jump the 130's.

This is just my opinion, the hearier bullets work but it does a great job with 120-130 bullets.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CZ527
Now, if you don't mind, I'm trying to learn a few things about a very specific topic from someone on this thread, and it would be better without an interjection.

Some of the very best and most experienced reloaders on this site have told you everything you need to know to answer your question. If you would shut your mouth and open your eyes and ears and read what they are typing you could see what they are saying.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheehttp://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hi...cs-aka-freebore

Do you have your brass and does? Build a few dummy rounds of what you want, most Smith's can throat for whatever you want.

Wanting to have a ideal chamber for both 130's and 140's you will be making a little bit of a sacrifice with have the 140's farther in the case or have to jump the 130's.

This is just my opinion, the hearier bullets work but it does a great job with 120-130 bullets.

I think ultimately that's what I'm going to have to do. I hate to have it that way because I've had a couple come back wrong before but I think the guy I'm using now will do good.

I was just hoping someone would pop up and say yes I've done this exact thing before but it's not a big deal.

Thanks

This isn't voodoo science, load some dummy rounds the way you want them, measure them or send them off and tell the reamer maker what you want and order a reamer that works for you.

You said that you don't want to spend the money get what you want and want to use the reamer the gunsmith has, that leaves you to load for what you get.

Look for a smith that has a uni-throater or throating reamer and have him cut the chamber and throat in two separate operation to your specified length.

Your having a lot of angst over something that isn't that difficult. At least your working with a known cartridge, I'd hate to see you develop something that has never been done before, I've done three of those.

Big thing is I have not ran across a 6.5x47 that has shot bad with any bullet, most people's loads across the board are pretty close. I'm not even sure what chamber mine has but it shoots the factory 120 load into ragged holes.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: CZ527

Some of the very best and most experienced reloaders on this site have told you everything you need to know to answer your question. If you would shut your mouth and open your eyes and ears and read what they are typing you could see what they are saying.

You're out of line sir, plain and simple. I guess this is another thread I'll have to abandon because of you. You have no idea who I've talked to via PM not what I might have learned about the cartridge in the last couple of days.... Yet here you are barking advice on life at me and jumbling up the page while not offering a shred of useful input.

Oh and for the record, the entire cartridge holder including cutter was sent to Giraud, found defective and replaced free of charge. I have my friend a check to them to mail to cover the shipping. Works perfectly now.... Go figure.

I think for the time being Im going to take the number I got from ackleymans test and throw that figure at the smith and see what he says. As ackleyman said its a ballpark max figure, so I'll likely undercut it a bit and just see what the 140s will do with a little less powder behind them.

I'll of course send the dummy rounds as well just for good measure.

One thing is for sure though, I'm going to have to make some fairly significant seating depth changes over time, but that's not a big deal to me.

Thanks everyone I'll see y'all around.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeBig thing is I have not ran across a 6.5x47 that has shot bad with any bullet, most people's loads across the board are pretty close. I'm not even sure what chamber mine has but it shoots the factory 120 load into ragged holes.

I agree man, several of my friends have them and they do well with anything.

Originally Posted By: AWSThis isn't voodoo science, load some dummy rounds the way you want them, measure them or send them off and tell the reamer maker what you want and order a reamer that works for you.

You said that you don't want to spend the money get what you want and want to use the reamer the gunsmith has, that leaves you to load for what you get.

Look for a smith that has a uni-throater or throating reamer and have him cut the chamber and throat in two separate operation to your specified length.

Your having a lot of angst over something that isn't that difficult. At least your working with a known cartridge, I'd hate to see you develop something that has never been done before, I've done three of those.

I'll keep that in mind.

Back