The Ultimate Deer Cartridge

udarrell

See, September 1999, Vol. 5 No. 8, SHOOTERS NEWS, "THE ULTIMATE Deer Hunting Cartridge"

This will surprise most of you!

http://www.udarrell.org/ultimate_deer_cartridge.htm

http://www.udarrell.org/ultimate_deer_cartridge_guests.htm

Many deer hunters are using bullets with the wrong terminal performance characteristics.

I prefer the 6 mm calibers, such as the 243/06; the 6 mm Remington, and 243 Winchester. udarrell

------------------
udarrell
http://www.udarrell.com/leading-running-game-rifle-frames.htm

udarrell,

Speaking as a person who has shot a .243 extensively for the last 25 years or so, I would not in any way consider it to be "the ultimate deer cartridge". I've killed several deer with my .243 and out to about 300 yards or so it works great.

Trouble is, I live in come really open country where it's sometimes possible or even necessary to make a long shot. Putting it plainly, the .243 lacks the knockdown of some of the larger cartridges for long range work on deer sized game IMO.

There are too many ways of hunting to call one cartridge or caliber as "the best". That's why many of us own more than one gun. Personally, I use a 7mm rem mag for deer and I use 145gr Speer BTSP bullets backed by 64gr of IMR4350. I've killed a bear, an antelope, and several deer with it and have yet to have any of them take a step after being hit. I don't consider it to be the ultimate by any means, but it's never let me down yet.
wink.gif

Daryl,

Of course, I agree once again with your post.

The bigger magnums can't be beat for shots over 300 yards, but I live in Wisconsin and most shots are within 200 yards.

I'm at an age now where recoil and muzzle blast tend to destroy the shooting capabilities that I have left.

My 243/06 wildcat reaches out pretty well and I can shoot it much better than the bigger magnums.

Were I younger I'd like to try a 7 mm Ultra Mag. for ultra long range on deer. udarrell Darrell

------------------
udarrell

The 7mm ultra mag is one I would like to try one of these days. With the added recoil and me only weighing about 140, I'm not sure I could shoot it well enough to utilize the extended effective range, but it would be fun to shoot nontheless.

I'd probably be in for a stompin, huh?

I'm 6' 2" and weigh close to 220, but have problems these days that that amount of recoil especially from a bench rest could really aggravate.

My right hand and fingers are so bad I can barely type and run the mouse. I still shoot pretty fair even on moving targets.

I don't care to shoot anything with more recoil and muzzle blast than my 243/06 Wildcat. It has all the reach and knockdown power I can utilize effectively. Darrell

------------------
udarrell

I've killed a lot of deer here in GA. The 30-06 is probably one of the top deer calibers in North America. Moderate recoil, good down range power, and plenty of loads to suit any hunting situation. Just my input, Lilburnjoe

SOMEONE ON HERE SAID THE MAGNUMS CANT REACH THAT FAR? I GUESS THATS WHY A PARTICULAR GOVERNMENT AGENCIES USES .300 WIN MAG FOR SNIPER RIFLES? I HAVE ONLY HAD ONE DEER RUN THAT I HAVE SHOT IN MY 15YEARS HUNTING THAT WAS PAST 15YARDS. ALL MY DEER HAVE BEEN SHOT WITH .300 WIN MAG. I HAVE HAD SOME RUN ALOT FARTHER WITH MY BOW THOUGH.

OK, you can kill deer with a 243, but if there is a raking shot offered on a buck of a lifetime think I want a little more power, penetration, and bullet weight. close cover whitetails is what I like my 458 Socom for and when the range gets out there the 7mmSTW really smacks them hard. Though I do use my 6mm Rem. on occasion. try the 87 gr. Hornady's in the spire point variety, hits harder than the sierra I think.
RR

------------------
Born to hunt, Forced to work

I've found the that Winchester's, Winchester X in .243 is the perfect round for Pennsylvania deer. Well almost. That rifle cost me a doe at the beginning of the season because it deflects off stray branches EASILY. But for a good straight shot, you can't beat it.

All of the deer I've shot (3) have been within 20 yards of me, 2 of them have been taken with the .243 and only took two steps before falling flat on thier butts.

I'm not saying that I'm going to use the .243 extenisvely, as I'm saving my dollars for a Remington 7600 in .270 so the rifle never leaves my shoulder. But right now for a beginner rifle, it shoots perfectly for me, and I may just use it extensively who knows??

Zach

I love hunting deer with a .243, I would like to have information on the .243/06.

Ballistics,
Performance,
And how to go about getting one. Thanks for all the info.

hope this doesnt show up twice but i didnt see it the first time around

I love hunting deer with a .243. Very interested on more information on the .243/06.

Ballistics,
Performance,
How I could get one,
And how much money would it take.

Thanks Fellas

hope this doesnt show up twice but i didnt see it the first time around

I love hunting deer with a .243. Very interested on more information on the .243/06.

Ballistics,
Performance,
How I could get one,
And how much money would it take.

Thanks Fellas

I would like to get information on the .243/06.

Balistics,
Performance,
How I could get one,
And how much it would cost.

Sorry if this reply shows up more than once, Seem to be having problems getting it to post.

Thanks

Well, here's my .02 cents. Moose are the largest deer in the world and I wouldn't ever shoot one with a 243 or any 6mm for that matter. I would rather shoot one with one of my handguns with beattooth LBT cast bullets that I know will penetrate almost completely through a moose lengthwise.If not a handgun, then 338 on up would be the ticket. Just not good enough bullets in 6mm for me to be risking losing a moose. Even if I were hunting in the part of Alaska that had deer, I would still not take a 243 because of the other critter that lives in the woods that bite back.

[This message has been edited by AlleninAlaska (edited 01-01-2002).]

I shoot a .243 exclusively. I have a 30/06 but since purchasing the .243 it hasn't been out of the safe. I've been hunting with this caliber for about 8 years now. Being from SC and our liberal bag limits. I have harvested a lot of deer. I've had one deer that I couldn't find. Then I started reloading. I shoot 95 grain ballistic tips and since no lost deer. I have shot several at 300 plus yard too.

Ronnie

The .243 is a great cal. I have killed many deer with it. I think shot placement has alot to do with killing the animal. I would say alot of deer have been lost with 30/06 and .270s because of poor shot placement. Would I take the .243 to Canada for hunting 300lbs deer? No. But for the most part it works well every place I hunt.

Hey Ronnie, its about time to do a little calling. See ya!

Hey Mike,

I'm ready when ever you can come down. Give me a call and we will get it set-up. But this time its our day all day long. I have found a lot of other places to hunt. Let me know when you can come down.

Ronnie

I know this is going to stir things up, but I've used a 22-250 for the first 20 years of whitetail hunting. I've only recently changed to a 7mm Rem Mag because of a Canadian hunt, and the 22 wasnt something I wanted to carry in some heavily infested bear country. With that said, I'd like to add that I:
1) Spent a great deal of time with this rifle and it will shoot .50"/5 shot groups all day long. Shots at crows and chucks at 350-400 yards are hit 95% of the time.
2) Started using it for deer hunting, I was concerned that it may not be enough, so I went into it with the idea that if I ever hit one that I don't find, or that suffers needlessly, then I would change to a larger caliber. That was 26 deer ago, and I have yet to loose a single deer. 22 of these deer dropped on the spot. CAUTION! DO NOT USE HOLLOW POINTS, THE PATH TO THE TARGET MUST BE ABSOLUTELY CLEAR, AND YOU HAD BETTER STEER CLEAR OF THE SHOULDER. I had shot one that hit the shoulder bone that never entered the chest cavity, that required a followup running shot.

There are also many articles covering how much energy should be available to humainly dispatch an animal, 1000 ft/lbs usually, which would limit the 22's effective range to to 150 yards, yet I have gotten 9 of these deer within the ranges of 300-425 yards, and all traveled less than 10 yards after being shot. With the exception of 2 head shots, all where shot in the heart or the lung area.

Is it for everyone? Absolutely not, but with correct bullet placement, which should be the goal regardless of caliber, and bullets, it handles whitetail quite nicely.

Great topic and even better debate personally I use two different guns for deer one when deer are the only target and one when black bear or moose are also on the menu, first thing said (shot placement is critical) now for the other most important thing shot placement is critical and finally know your limits and don't assume you are better than you are ,if you fail to plan then then you have planned to fail. Ok for the guns I use a Rem.mod 700police .223 and a Sako 300win mag I can hear the snarlling now over the.223 but I can assure you the 215lb deer that I shoot at exactly 267yards this year did not know what hit him and went down on his butt pronto he went down so clean that the two younger deer with him laid down beside him thinking nothing of the small pop that came from a pile of brush in the middle of a swamp. 1min later my partner took his first deer. One of the smaller of the two remaining from another bogey hide. We were in constant radio com. and his went down clean as well. Actually it never got up lol the last was startled at the pop of my partners .223 and left the scene smart deer lol. (mine was head shot in one ear and out the other,his was heart shot) if you know your limits and live by them you should not have any problems ,I should add that we knew the animals were going to be where thay were and practised that same shot close to 100 times till we both felt comfortable with it and our shooting positions ......best of luck and happy new years to all

Back