The Neck Shot Versus the Heart/Lung Shot?

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeWhat ?????

Just because an animal runs say 10 - 100 yards does not make it wounded. As for the bow hunting aspect....... Any sharp broadhead placed in the "sweet spot " is just as deadly as any gun shot of equal placement.
While I disagree with your first statement, I am very interested in your comments about the killing effectiveness of a broadhead. I'm not an archery hunter and I've not done the research; however, I always assumed that a bullet shot into the heart/lung area carried more kinetic energy than an arrow placed in the same location. Am I wrong about that notion? I've always assumed that the hydraulic shock created by an expanding bullet caused tissue/organ damage that far exceeds what an arrow can do. Again, am I wrong about that?

I'd truely like to get the correct facts on this issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Salmo22Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeWhat ?????

Just because an animal runs say 10 - 100 yards does not make it wounded. As for the bow hunting aspect....... Any sharp broadhead placed in the "sweet spot " is just as deadly as any gun shot of equal placement.
While I disagree with your first statement, I am very interested in your comments about the killing effectiveness of a broadhead. I'm not an archery hunter and I've not done the research; however, I always assumed that a bullet shot into the heart/lung area carried more kinetic energy than an arrow placed in the same location. Am I wrong about that notion? I've always assumed that the hydraulic shock created by an expanding bullet caused tissue/organ damage that far exceeds what an arrow can do. Again, am I wrong about that?

I'd truely like to get the correct facts on this issue.
do you think shooting a deer in the neck with an arrow be more effective?

Originally Posted By: bringtheraindo you think shooting a deer in the neck with an arrow be more effective?
Because I don't have any experience with bow hunting, I'm not qualified to even make an educated quess - sorry. Someone with bow hunting experience will have to answer that question.

Well salmo,,as much as your father pushed the neck shot,,my father pushed the lung shot.

So you are passionate about your way as i am about mine.

I have never arrowed or double lung shot an animal i did not recover.

When i see a red spray or a patch of fur fluff behind an animals shoulder,,I know its a dead one .

A animal shot through the neck that does not drop like a sack of potatos,,well you hope its a dead one.

I have killed lots of stuff,,,almost all of them die differently,,most all animals like humans have different wills to live,,some drop right there and kick,,some others with the exact same shot ,will run until they suffocate.....X

Originally Posted By: coyotexWell salmo,,as much as your father pushed the neck shot,,my father pushed the lung shot.

So you are passionate about your way as i am about mine.

I have never arrowed or double lung shot an animal i did not recover.

When i see a red spray or a patch of fur fluff behind an animals shoulder,,I know its a dead one .

A animal shot through the neck that does not drop like a sack of potatos,,well you hope its a dead one.

I have killed lots of stuff,,,almost all of them die differently,,most all animals like humans have different wills to live,,some drop right there and kick,,some others with the exact same shot ,will run until they suffocate.....X
You will get no debate from me on any of those comments - well said.

Arrows do not kill by kinetic energy,,they kill from hemorrhaging.,,suffocation,,large clots, all that stuff....why it takes a bit...........x

I see a lot of folks that are giving Salmo a lot of heck for have an opinion different then theirs. I didn't realize that joining PM meant we had to give up free will or our right to an opinion. Folks come around and give a lot of flack to folks who want a discussion. I think that if people don't want to have a discussion they can keep there opinion and go the [beeep] away!

Salmo: It seems that your sniping coyotes like they have a gun to a hostage's head almost. I would love to be able to have the patience and skill to make those shots consistently.

I think what you've said about animals getting shot and going off to bleed to death in a few minutes or so being a lethal wound not a kill is a bit extreme personally. But, I saw no inflammatory, rude or insulting remarks. Guys on here have a tendency to take a thought out response as having a condescending tone in my experience. Sometimes, people (even I) get a bit insulted when we hear something different than our opinion, and even worse is if we misunderstand what was said.

All that being said I think hunting is killing, and killing is killing weather it's before they can twitch, or 2 seconds after, or a minute, or 10 minutes. To say that I'm wounding an animal if it lies down then bleeds out close enough for me to find easily isn't killing it's wounding doesn't seem reasonable.

I've got to admit I only shot 1 deer in my so far short life. I put one in the lungs, and no real reaction more than the sign of the bullet hitting. Waited for what seemed like 5 minutes, but may have just been 2 or 3. Anyways, I plugged another one in it and the deer just bumped forward a hair. Finally, after another short wait I put a third in it. All double lungs, and only one exited the deer. Finally, after the third round the deer felt something different, and jumped to run, but fell on its side sliding down the mountain and kicking like he was sprinting. Couple seconds later no movement not a twitch. I'd say that hydrostatic shock can do a lot on a critter, but it is no guarantee. I'll admit I didn't like the deer not going bang flop, but

I knew the after the first shot that hit both lungs, the worst case scenario I had to watch the deer run a few hundred yards and track if I couldn't watch it. Dead is dead. I don't take head shots cause they can lead to knock outs where the critter gets up when you get into it, and that is a mess I don't want to deal with so I kill it and wait to make sure it is not going to get up and run. Also, at range, with wind, or on moving targets you run a large risk of maiming or injury.

Often when people are shot they don't even know it unless they see it cause they don't always feel pain when hit. The body goes into shock and the link between pain receptors and the brain cuts out. So I'd say it's hard to argue it's not an ethical humane kill.

I've always thought that you practice your hunting shots on a target of equivalent size to your target area on the animal you plan on hunting. If you can keep ALL your shots in the properly sized target out to a certain distance in a specific position, then that is your effective range in that position. I don't know of many people who can consistently hit a golf ball past 150-200yrds in field position, and those few who can have had severe amounts of training and experience.

For snipers hitting a human head at 600+ yards is something they have to train rigorously for a long time. Cut the target size in half (a coyote's head is at least half the size of a human's), and even half the distance and it is going to take a whole lot of skill and practice. Most folks aren't even going to be able to make that shot in field conditions even with training. Most folks would have difficulty hitting a coyote in the lung area at that distance even from a bench if what I've seen at the local rifle range is any indication. Many guys come to the range to shoot the 200yrd metal silhouette which is about the size of a coyote and have a hard time even hitting the target, and not even consistent in their misses. That is why the money shot is always a heart/lung shot. Most people have a hard enough time making that shot especially in the field with inability to accurately judge the distance, wind, or vertical angles.

That is more than enough writing for now as I am brain dead (if anything sounds wrong here then it means I should have gone to bed much earlier). I'm sure you'll have an intriguing response.

In dealing with humans, I've been trained in both head and center of mass shots...each has their place, depending on circumstances....I would apply the same reasoning to an animal...but to take a position that either was the 'right' one for all occasions would be in error on my part.

I don't know that I've ever experienced "opinion police" on this board, unless it was a situation where I crowded going over the TOS line...Everyone has their own opinion based on experience or training,,,kind of like noses...not all of them are alike or something to be gotten out of joint...

Carry on and have clean fun...

I would say center mass, especially on the big game, I have seen elk hit perfect middle of the neck and goes right through and doesn't even leave a drop of blood. I have seen the face shot off and bullet holes in the antlers. The head neck shot might be more of a challenge but it is in no way more ethical then a heart lung shot.

I have tried to take peoples word on here but if you have hunted coyotes for 40 years and have as much experience as you say then I am sure you have wounded countless coyotes and would have figured that in when questioning peoples ethics and shooting abilities.

Originally Posted By: Jeepdude1987I see a lot of folks that are giving Salmo a lot of heck for have an opinion different then theirs. I didn't realize that joining PM meant we had to give up free will or our right to an opinion. Folks come around and give a lot of flack to folks who want a discussion. I think that if people don't want to have a discussion they can keep there opinion and go the [beeep] away!

Salmo: It seems that your sniping coyotes like they have a gun to a hostage's head almost. I would love to be able to have the patience and skill to make those shots consistently.

I think what you've said about animals getting shot and going off to bleed to death in a few minutes or so being a lethal wound not a kill is a bit extreme personally. But, I saw no inflammatory, rude or insulting remarks. Guys on here have a tendency to take a thought out response as having a condescending tone in my experience. Sometimes, people (even I) get a bit insulted when we hear something different than our opinion, and even worse is if we misunderstand what was said.

All that being said I think hunting is killing, and killing is killing weather it's before they can twitch, or 2 seconds after, or a minute, or 10 minutes. To say that I'm wounding an animal if it lies down then bleeds out close enough for me to find easily isn't killing it's wounding doesn't seem reasonable.

I've got to admit I only shot 1 deer in my so far short life. I put one in the lungs, and no real reaction more than the sign of the bullet hitting. Waited for what seemed like 5 minutes, but may have just been 2 or 3. Anyways, I plugged another one in it and the deer just bumped forward a hair. Finally, after another short wait I put a third in it. All double lungs, and only one exited the deer. Finally, after the third round the deer felt something different, and jumped to run, but fell on its side sliding down the mountain and kicking like he was sprinting. Couple seconds later no movement not a twitch. I'd say that hydrostatic shock can do a lot on a critter, but it is no guarantee. I'll admit I didn't like the deer not going bang flop, but

I knew the after the first shot that hit both lungs, the worst case scenario I had to watch the deer run a few hundred yards and track if I couldn't watch it. Dead is dead. I don't take head shots cause they can lead to knock outs where the critter gets up when you get into it, and that is a mess I don't want to deal with so I kill it and wait to make sure it is not going to get up and run. Also, at range, with wind, or on moving targets you run a large risk of maiming or injury.

Often when people are shot they don't even know it unless they see it cause they don't always feel pain when hit. The body goes into shock and the link between pain receptors and the brain cuts out. So I'd say it's hard to argue it's not an ethical humane kill.

I've always thought that you practice your hunting shots on a target of equivalent size to your target area on the animal you plan on hunting. If you can keep ALL your shots in the properly sized target out to a certain distance in a specific position, then that is your effective range in that position. I don't know of many people who can consistently hit a golf ball past 150-200yrds in field position, and those few who can have had severe amounts of training and experience.

For snipers hitting a human head at 600+ yards is something they have to train rigorously for a long time. Cut the target size in half (a coyote's head is at least half the size of a human's), and even half the distance and it is going to take a whole lot of skill and practice. Most folks aren't even going to be able to make that shot in field conditions even with training. Most folks would have difficulty hitting a coyote in the lung area at that distance even from a bench if what I've seen at the local rifle range is any indication. Many guys come to the range to shoot the 200yrd metal silhouette which is about the size of a coyote and have a hard time even hitting the target, and not even consistent in their misses. That is why the money shot is always a heart/lung shot. Most people have a hard enough time making that shot especially in the field with inability to accurately judge the distance, wind, or vertical angles.

That is more than enough writing for now as I am brain dead (if anything sounds wrong here then it means I should have gone to bed much earlier). I'm sure you'll have an intriguing response.
Thanks for the comments Jeepdude. Even though I may have notions that are contrary to others, I always learn something from these types of lively debates. For example, after input from another I'm of the opinion that the high shoulder shot is nearly the same as my neck shot. A fellow shared some graphic illustrations of a mule deer's interal structure with me last night. After some study, it was clear to me that a high shoulder shot would create a swift kill similar to my neck shot. Even though I'm an old fart, I'm never too old to learn.

After all my typing on this issue last night, I turned on the TV and watched the movie "Terminator Solution". It was being shown in HD on HBO. Since the wife is out of town, I turned up the surround sound and had a great time. Unfortunately, in one of the first scenes of the movie my long held opinions on neck/head shots was severly challenged. John Connor was being assualted by a terminator that was missing its lower half. Connor must have shot this sucker 100 times in the head before it died. I'm starting to think that when it comes to a terminator, I should consider a center mass shot instead of the neck/head
w00t.gif

Last edited:
It appears to ME JD that both Salmo and the rest of the responders are giving each other some heck. I would call it a good conversation on a potentially controversial ideology. I prefer heart/lung over head shots. Neck shots are good IF you get the spine. My deer from last year fell to a neck shot, my wifes VERY LARGE deer from two years ago fell to head on throat shot. That being said? all of the rest of the deer we(and family/friends) have taken have been heart/lung with one shot. In our cases we used ballistic tip bullets from 7MM MAG, 270, and 30-06. We know when we have a good hit(deer hunches, blood from wound, or, just plain drop like a rock). No deer ever went more than 50 feet before stopping, standing for 30 SECONDS and dropping. We verify all firearm accuracy to 200 yards 2-3 days before season starts, we shoot off of sticks, the knees, or a good support(rock) or we don't take the shot. The goal is to take the animal with the least amount of damage and the least amount of trauma. we have never had a runner. I attribute that to patience, a well placed shot inside 250 yards, and patience again. Yes, we take ONE SHOT, verify the hit, sit still so as not to spook the critter, and wait for the drop. Oh, I expect one of these years one of us will twitch on the shot, and, ultimately, have to trail one down. We are not expecting that to happen though.

Coyotes are different matter. Tougher than nails, twitcher than a snake, and can present some very challenging shots. I admire salmo shooting skills; the same as those of my ancestors who believed you only shoot 'em in the head or don't shoot. I'm not that good, so, I'll stay with the heart/lung, either from the sides or head on.

Just MY 2cts on this thread...............

Last edited:
A few spins, a short running dead sprint, some tail twitches, even some leg kicks after tipping over have never bothered me to awful much. Have had a few coyotes make some God awful sounds after being hit, and I will admit those do bother me a little.

The worse, the one I will never forget, was one that I shot the bottom jaw clean off of. Yeah, was going for the head/brain shot. Right between the peepers dontcha ya know. Guess the coyote didn't know he was supposed to not move his head about the time my trigger finger was at the point of no return. Got dang ugly before I got that coyote fully dead.

Been several other times over the years where a botched head/neck shot made me feel pretty bad for the animal and pissed at myself.

And YES, I've been working on perfecting my shooting skills! For 40+ years! (Just a little longer than you have been predator hunting Salmo.
smile.gif
)

I reckon the coyotes in my part of the world may just be a little more active/hyper than the coyotes where some others folks are. Dang hairy rubber neckers is what they are! I fully expect to call one in with a cell phone glued to it's ear this winter.

Maybe it's the elevation, a higher protien food, something in the water, temperatures, who knows for sure. If somebody would like to donate about $500,000 I'll do a study on it to find out though.

A couple of things I've noticed about the coyotes in these parts,

They SEEM to move their heads around more than any other part of their body. Sometimes the necks those heads are attached to even move with the head.

They SEEM to often know when the trigger gets pulled and will move their head exactly at that time. Maybe looking for the bullet?
smile.gif

I reckon if a guy is real good, he knows when and which way that head is going to move and can compensate for it as he squeezes the trigger. I ain't that good, yet.

Some above is tounge in cheek, some ain't. I ain't smart enough to figure out the difference. I'll leave that to the experts.

Shoot em where ya want (or can).

If the neck shot is a target the size of your wrist, In the winter when lots of hair you can't tell where to put the shot for sure. seems easier to go for center mass then guess where that spine is.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesThe worse, the one I will never forget, was one that I shot the bottom jaw clean off of. Yeah, was going for the head/brain shot. Right between the peepers dontcha ya know. Guess the coyote didn't know he was supposed to not move his head about the time my trigger finger was at the point of no return. Got dang ugly before I got that coyote fully dead.

Been there, done that.

I'm 48, have been hunting coyotes since I was 15 or so. In all that time, I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to go after a coyote. In 3 of those cases, they were shots just on the edge of my range where I hit a little low or too far back. In one case it was poorly advised ammo (FMJ's in the early 80's), and in one case it was the above "shot the jaw" off. In the vast majority of cases, I've aimed right above the front leg and the coyote has been DRT or run 50 yards at the max.

Maybe I'm a little different (no wise cracks jeeperdude
smile.gif
),

But the shot I like most is the one right in the shoulder or directly behind it. That shot where ya just KNOW you made a good killing hit, yet the coyote don't even act hit. You see it run. You know you done good. You know it's dead. You know the coyote don't know it. You know it will shortly.

That coyote hits mach1 in 3.7 seconds. It goes 50 to 150 yards and then it's legs suddenly go out from under it. It rolls end over end about 19 times. The dust flies if it's dry and if there's snow on the ground it gets some really cool designs in it.
smile.gif

That's the shot I really like. It happens a half dozen, give or take a few, times every year. I get a big old smile on my mug every time it happens.

Don't and won't happen with head/neck shot coyotes. Maybe that's part of the reason I don't like shootin em there. Don't happen when I shoot em with the scatter gun either. And that pissses me off!
smile.gif

The older I get, the harder I am to please. lol

Salmo I'm no expert but the three coyotes I have shoot with my bow two died where I hit them and the third ran about 30 yards and fell and didn't twitch much after that. I don't know why an arrow does such a good job, but I do use sharp broadheads and they were all hit in the lungs. The neck shot on a deer is a poor choice with a bow, will sometimes drop them on the spot but other times a wounded animal runs off. The heart double lung is a sure thing and in a very short time.
I think one thing we all can agree on is that these animals deserve our respect and we need to make as clean and quick a kill as we can. Alot of the bunny huggers don't understand this they think we find some sort of pleasure in watching them die. I guess you have to have the hunting instincts to understand.

Originally Posted By: Salmo22Thanks for the comments Jeepdude. Even though I may have notions that are contrary to others, I always learn something from these types of lively debates. For example, after input from another I'm of the opinion that the high shoulder shot is nearly the same as my neck shot. A fellow shared some graphic illustrations of a mule deer's interal structure with me last night. After some study, it was clear to me that a high shoulder shot would create a swift kill similar to my neck shot. Even though I'm an old fart, I'm never too old to learn.

After all my typing on this issue last night, I turned on the TV and watched the movie "Terminator Solution". It was being shown in HD on HBO. Since the wife is out of town, I turned up the surround sound and had a great time. Unfortunately, in one of the first scenes of the movie my long held opinions on neck/head shots was severly challenged. John Connor was being assualted by a terminator that was missing its lower half. Connor must have shot this sucker 100 times in the head before it died. I'm starting to think that when it comes to a terminator, I should consider a center mass shot instead of the neck/head
w00t.gif

Yeah I don't want to mess with terminators at all. I don't have adequate ammo in type or amount for that kind of mess. I wonder how the new m885a1 round would work for terminators though. They are a tungsten-tin alloy core.

Originally Posted By: coloradobobBig fan of placing one just below and behind the ear with a .22. Not a shot I would take in low light but I can promise you if you connect there won't be any tracking involved not much twitching either. LOL

Just one more challenge to an already challenging sport! Besides unless you are hunting for fur there's usually plenty more where that one came from if you miss. Great bragging rights when executed successfully. It's kind of like competing with yourself. If I were shooting for food it would be a different story. Jeeze I love this stuff!

I think you and I learned to shoot and hunt from the same people.
I learned right behind the ear and maybe up just a bit. Either way, it's a brain shot.
I don't shoot low light, over 100 yards and I prefer them closer then that. I don't want
them moving fast and prefer them stopped and looking.
I've found making low noises like a tongue click will stop them for a second or 2. If I can't get
a good clean sure shot, I just don't shoot.

I now prefer a .223 but I still keep a .22 around and ready to go.

Never really thought about throat shots but back when I was shooting a bow, you went for the large
mass areas like lungs.

OK, I'm ready for my beating now.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesMaybe I'm a little different (no wise cracks jeeperdude
smile.gif
),

But the shot I like most is the one right in the shoulder or directly behind it. That shot where ya just KNOW you made a good killing hit, yet the coyote don't even act hit. You see it run. You know you done good. You know it's dead. You know the coyote don't know it. You know it will shortly.

That coyote hits mach1 in 3.7 seconds. It goes 50 to 150 yards and then it's legs suddenly go out from under it. It rolls end over end about 19 times. The dust flies if it's dry and if there's snow on the ground it gets some really cool designs in it.
smile.gif

That's the shot I really like. It happens a half dozen, give or take a few, times every year. I get a big old smile on my mug every time it happens.

Don't and won't happen with head/neck shot coyotes. Maybe that's part of the reason I don't like shootin em there. Don't happen when I shoot em with the scatter gun either. And that pissses me off!
smile.gif

The older I get, the harder I am to please. lol

I don't know what wise crack you might expect. I'm cool now that I know you are.

I think that is the ideal way to kill. Don't know what hit them. Dead and don't even know how or where. I don't think you can hope for anything better, especially if you see the point where the bullet hits. Bang flop is a dandy as well, but less common cause the points you can get that are very small, but dead before they know it is a much better shot for the numbers.

Originally Posted By: RJM AcresOriginally Posted By: coloradobobBig fan of placing one just below and behind the ear with a .22. Not a shot I would take in low light but I can promise you if you connect there won't be any tracking involved not much twitching either. LOL

Just one more challenge to an already challenging sport! Besides unless you are hunting for fur there's usually plenty more where that one came from if you miss. Great bragging rights when executed successfully. It's kind of like competing with yourself. If I were shooting for food it would be a different story. Jeeze I love this stuff!

I think you and I learned to shoot and hunt from the same people.
I learned right behind the ear and maybe up just a bit. Either way, it's a brain shot.
I don't shoot low light, over 100 yards and I prefer them closer then that. I don't want
them moving fast and prefer them stopped and looking.
I've found making low noises like a tongue click will stop them for a second or 2. If I can't get
a good clean sure shot, I just don't shoot.

I now prefer a .223 but I still keep a .22 around and ready to go.

Never really thought about throat shots but back when I was shooting a bow, you went for the large
mass areas like lungs.

OK, I'm ready for my beating now.

i dont think you'll take a beating. just wonder what kind of success you guys have hunting this way:
-nothing over 100 yds
-no low light shooting (during the most active times of the day.)
-head shots only
-stationary targets only (coyotes aren't the most patient animals)

sounds more like coyote educating and culling of the dumbest of the species.

i find it hard to keep hunting on days that i only call one in much less waiting for a shot that would qualify by these standards.

i'm honestly curious how people continue to go out to hunt when the self imposed rules are so strict.

Back