Sit on ground cushion, or stool?

My buddy found a seat thats exactly like the two way strut seat at wal-mart for 10 bucks picked up two of them for me . They work great,no more numb legs and you can grab either side with one hand and lift yourself without tipping the whole thing over. Very sturdy! Woks great in this deep snow we've been getting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have a turkey hunting seat. Just high enough to keep you of the ground. I usually set it at the base of a tree or something to lean back on.

With me, it depends on the stand.
Sometimes I just leave the seat in the truck & sit on the ground.
Sometimes I use an old metal framed stadium seat.[grandpa bought new in the '60s]
Sometimes I use a 4 legged turkey stool that has telescoping legs, from 5" to 12".

I bought one of the folding stadium seats from Sportsmen's Warehouse that I will not be found without. It folds out to 90 degrees and has a piece of webbing on either side that keeps it from opening too much. Love it. My legs don't go numb, unless I get one crossed wrong, and I can sit comfortably for a long time. The other good things is that I can easily slide out to get into shooting position. One of the guys I hunt with bought a metal framed recliner type seat that looks comfy, but he's lost at least one coyote so far because it went behind him and he couldn't get turned around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have had a stadium seat (or canoe seat) that works fine for just sitting but sitting isn't the problem, it's trying to get up after I've been sitting for a while, without having to roll over on my hands and knees! Good ole Arthur Itis!

I bought a swivel type padded camo top seat lid for a 5 gal bucket from Bass Pro ($13) and put it on a Costco laundry detergent bucket (a little lower that a 5 gl bucket but same diameter). Covered the bucket with camo tape and it carries my e-caller, hand calls and decoy and allows me to stand up when its time to go and I can easily swivel around to shoot when necessary. I did have to go to a little longer set of shooting sticks.

If I go for any great distance away from the truck then I just take my hand calls and the stadium seat and make do.

Truckeedan

I use a "Crazy Creek" chair that I've had for 15 years or so. Like this: http://tinyurl.com/2cn9bn only mine's much older and in camo. Rolls up and I strap it to my fanny pack. I won't even hardly go hunting w/out. I can sit back with my shooting stick leaned against my knee and be comfortable for a long time.

After reading all of the post on stools and chairs that people use for varmint hunting, I thought I'd share "my" latest invention (Lol!) with the group.

One of the biggest problems I face is a coyote coming out on my far right or left, or even behind me. To get a shot I have to move my entire position and potentially expose myself to my prey. To overcome this major breach of stealth, I put together the swivel seat you see pictured. It is virtually soundless, weighs only 5.8 lbs, and has been a fantastic tool for increasing my numbers.

chair-1.JPG

chair-2.JPG

I used an HS Strut stool and adapted a folding seat seat and home made swivel to the frame. All I can say is, "It works for me."

I welcome any comments.

Rustydog

I have suffered from standing in place while calling, and getting busted from moving as I shifted from foot to foot trying to stay comfortable, for the last time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I went to Shot Show this year and came away with one of these and I really like it. I got the Bull model because of my doublewide butt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's incredibly lightweight and packs well but don't count on assembling it right where you make your stand because it's too noisy to assemble. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I just carry mine by one of the legs. It's fully adjustable for height and I got mine with the cushion. It swivels quietly if I move slowly and I can sit for a LOOOONG time before I start fidgeting and that says a LOT for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

$bob$

LDhunter:
I've seen those advertised & wondered how easy it was to assemble on the spot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Rustydog:
That looks like a neat invention! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Wish I'd thought of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
I may have to make my own before next year. Don't know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I use a MTM Turkey seat think it is called a Rump rester or something like that. Changed out the tiny straps with a H-Harnass for comfortable carry and it has a built in pack to carry caller and other items.

Right now I use a turkey vest with a flip out cushion but as with most others too many years of sports and such when I was younger has wrecked havok on my knees and hips. After 20 - 30 mins or so I start getting very uncomfortable. I am looking at buying one of these from Cabelas to see how it works. It looks like it would be pretty comfy!

Last edited:
When hunting flat land short grass stuff ( which I don't do often anymore ) I set on a duck hunters boat floation device. I like it because of its size and it does not absorb water ever.

My other seat is.......well cheap.
Not stolen but given to me by a milk man.
I use a brown milk crate.
I camo painted it and drilled
a hole for a carry strap. Bulky but it works /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
Serves 2 purposes
1. Gives good height in cover to watch for cats sneaking in
2. Alows me to but all my junk in it on the way in and out of a stand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Double Bull (the company that makes the blinds) has a fold up three legged stool. Used one this weekend and it works pretty good. One of the features I like about it is the legs have a round base on them that keep the leg from sinking into the ground. It also is camo and has a carry strap. I have know idea how much they cost.

Weedwalker,

I'm like everyone else it seems. The need for a comfortable seat that doesn't hurt the legs or back is a must, in my opinion. If you aren't comfortable, then it's difficult to sit still for very long. Recently I hurt my back from sitting on a cushion while calling, to the point that I had to go to a chiropractor. After that ordeal, I began searching for a comfortable seat. I found one that suits me just fine. It's adjustable for uneven terrain, and has an adjustable backrest, and is light weight. I like it and it's worth every penny I paid for it. I used it while hunting the coyote I recently shot. There are lots of good seats out there, I'm sure, but here is mine. Man, it's comfortable.

ShootingChair.jpg

HuntingSeat.jpg

I use a folding chair for calling CRP to get some elevation. Otherwise I have a short folding backless pad for most hunting. Most of the time, it's cold butt on cold ground. Doc White showed up last year to turkey hunt with me with a chair like 6mm06 shows. I'd like to find one. He could sit very still for very long periods of time and that has to be an asset for any kind of calling. It was especially effective for waiting out turkeys.

i've used the same seat for nearly 5 yrs. now. it,s nothing but a intertube for a four wheeler with a camo cover. works great and keeps you insulated from the cold ground. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I guess I am lucky, I mainly hunt on Camp Pendleton, in the training areas. There are almost always defensive fighting positions (fighting holes) already dug out, and most of them have benches dug into them. They are already pretty well camoflauged and always have the best vantage points. Perhaps the best thing of all is that most of the wildlife is already used to gunfire and not bothered by it, because the area receives very little hunting pressure!

Back