Sit on ground cushion, or stool?

weedwalker

Just wondering if a lot of you sit on a stool or on the ground. I know if you're on the ground, there is less of you to be seen, but my legs go to SLEEP. So I use a stool most of the time, except for extremly open areas.

Hey ya know the lower you can sit usually the better, but if you were in the shade you really be ok no matter what. But like you say there are advantages and diadvantages to both ways. But the more of your body they can see the more they will be able to see and the worse it is for you so sitting lower could be pretty advantagious for you.

I usually just sit on the ground and deal with the legs getting numb and going to sleep. However, I do have a small camo foam cushion that I use when it's wet or snowy.

Have you ever seen those 4 legged stools that a lot of guys use for turkey hunting? They are only about 4 or 5 inches high and they are about 2 feet square. I don't own one yet, but one of my hunting buds who is in his sixties swears by them. You can get one at almost any sport goods store.(I thought legs going numb was normal! )

weedwalker,

I was having alot of trouble sitting on the ground, my legs would go to sleep, joints would ache, etc.., then I found a metal framed seat at Gander Mountain that only raises you off the ground about 3", but it has made a tremendous difference in how long I can comfortably sit. The name of it is "Deluxe Two-Way Strut Seat", below is a link. Check it out! It has sure helped me!

http://www.hunterspec.com/Updateable/update_display.cfm?pageID=419&categoryID=33

Last edited:
YoteCoaxer, I was kinda wondering how those would do. It kills me to sit on the ground more than 15 minutes, but I hate setting up higher on a folding stool. Maybe I'll give one of those a try.

Arthritis makes it impractical for me to sit on the ground, or should I say most improbable that I could get up after 30-45 minutes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Found the kids chair sold by Academy Sports fills the bill; very light and low enough I can blend in and make like a bush or tree. Seat is approximately a foot off the ground. Side benefit is that w/rifle on shooting sticks I can rest both elbows on my knees for a very steady position. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

web pageJunior Sports Chair

Following data does not show on link:
GAME WINNER JUNIOR CHAIR
$9.99
Item#: 8671869
Style#: FJ-1218BU
SKU: 0332-02207-1218

Regards,
hm

Since I've got "more to love" after Retiring from the service, I don't much care for sitting on the ground. When possible, I'll just stand in the shadow of a tree, which also allows me to use the tree as part of my rest when shooting.

My (very patient) wife made me a really nice camo cushion. It's about 2" thick, but still doesn't help enough most of the time.

I've been planning to buy that "Deluxe Two-Way Strut Seat", like mentioned above. It's only about $12. I've seen it used on a couple of the Coyote Video's, and it looks like just what the Doctor ordered.

That chair looks OK, but I think I'd prefer the stool.

Hunt Safe!

70Tactical

Old age sucks, but it's still better than nothing.The 3"web netting seat works great, as mentioned above the foam cushion(hot seat),works good in snow or wet, and there is a camo 5gal.bucket with cushion top,(it swivels) and ice chest inside also thats comfy too.
All these you can get from wallyworld, the 3"web at turkey time, the others at deer/elk time, if you don't see them, ask they should be in the warehouse. ...blue

Last edited:
I let the area I am hunting dictate where I am in the prone and sitting position. I also utilize a turkey vest with a seat cushion. Allot of guy's out my way use chairs when night hunting. I do not as it is just more stuff to carry but many areas I hunt a chair would come in handy to see above the surrounding brush.

Flat ground I use a stool, gets you up off the ground several feet. I sit in the shadow of a tree or bush. I will help you see a critter sneeking in when the brush is knee high or above.

I use a cushion for the side of a hill.

I have looked at the short seat at Gander Mountin, but wondered if the legs would just sink into the ground. Using the seat off of my turkey vest right now and it works preaty good. Rifleman2

I have always perfered to sit on the ground with something behind me to lean back against. When my butt starts to go numb thats when I know my time on the stand is up and it's time to move on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

t/c223encore.

I find those HS stools to be more uncomfortable than a cushion. I can sit for the longest amount of time when I use my inner tube seat. I forget who makes it. It is for turkey hunting. Small innertube wrapped in a cordura type nylon with a clip. When I turkey hunt I sometimes sit in the same place for a long time (hour or two)and this is by far the most comfortable.

Back