Rimfire Gray Squirrels

Hidalgo, thanks.

I enjoy the heck out of video and all too often anymore I find myself behind the camera more than behind a gun. I actually enjoy seeing others have success and recording it, then producing a video of the experience.

As to the videos themselves, there has been a definite learning curve involved in it. Hopefully I'm getting a little better as I go but still I'm an amateur. Basically I'm just a guy with a camera and editing program.

Been squirrel huntin for 50 years and still love it. With dog or still huntin. Had a old uncle that swore squirrel and gravy would cure cancer. Enjoyed readin your post. Go get some more for supper.

G-Blow,
Please... knock it off. You're just mucking up someone else's good thread with your off topic contentious nonsense.

I wish I could find my crow sniping DVD I received a few years ago, and I am waiting patiently for the Rimfire Groundhogs video as well.

Dust, for one reason or another I cannot seem to finish the Rimfire Groundhogs video. I think I currently have around 38 minutes of edited footage and need at least 25 minutes more of some serious shooting.

PM me an address and I'll get you another copy of the Crow Sniping DVD in the mail.

Thanks for the cool story and pics. We don't have much for gray squirrels here, except in town and they frown on shooting the neighborhood squirrels...even when they chew on my elk shed lawn ornaments, lol. I just picked up a new CZ 455 .22lr with the intent of doing more small game hunting, we do have a ton of rabbits.

Hey Timber, good luck with the rabbits.

You know, rimfire shooting / hunting is fun regardless of the target. I'm sure that little CZ is up to the task and will be a barrel of fun. Keep us posted, with photos of course.

Missouri's season ends Feb. 15th. If I can and weather permitting I think I am going to take the old S&W K-22 for a walk before the season ends. I'll keep y'all posted if I can get after a few squawks.

That's great GC. The S&W K-22 is a sweet little revolver. I have a good friend who has one. Shooting the revolver will require a steady hand and a good eye, something I can't do very well with aging eyes these days. I used to shoot a S&W model 41, 5.5" barrel. It was sweet, but that was back in my younger years when my eyes were better.

Looking forward to your story and photos.

Really enjoyed reading this thread, it had been several years since I had squirrel hunted also but I managed to slip out one day this year and limited out. No one hunts them around here so they are pretty mature and they all need some crock pot magic to tender them up but still good eating. I too used one of my 541-s with a Schneider barrel and 22 LR match chamber. It eats CCI standards like they are Green Tags and I couldn't be happier. I am in the process of rebarreling my other 541-s to 17mach II to reach out a little farther and a whole lot flatter than the CCI standards.

Few and far between, they haven't made it lately but I thought hornady had promised 5 million rounds a year. Of course they aren't going to shut down a 22lr line to make them right now but hopefully in the future they will again. I have 10,000 rds that I bought for a previous rifle so I will be ok for a while
smile.gif

well.....squirrels around here found out I got a new Ruger American 17 HMR and they went underground....I could not go in the woods during deer season without them being all over me and now they have disappeared. Want to kill something with it....old well in time. Nice shootin 6m

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Cherokee, I have also used the Mr. Squirrel to get them to squacking at me as a locator, but I don't use it very often. I mainly just still hunt, or just find a promising spot and sit down for a while.

This evening I returned yet again to the same hillside. Squirrels were everywhere. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of them this year. I ended up with 4 but couldn't find one. All were head shot.

Almost immediately after entering the woods I saw a squirrel go down the side of a hickory. He disappeared and I didn't see him again. I continued on down the path for maybe 50 yards and saw one on the distant hillside to the left in the photo. I sat down and waited for a few minutes, my back to a tree and using a bipod for a rest. A head shot dropped him. Instantly another one in a nearby tree began squacking at me. A second shot dropped him also with a head shot. Distances were between 30-40 yards.

I continued on down the path and saw another one in a hickory. Another head shot and he dropped
like a sack of potatoes down the steep hillside to the right in this photo. Try as I might I could not
find him in all the leaves. I walked down the hillside quite a ways from the base of the tree, round
and round up and down the hillside, but couldn't find him. Not sure if he was wounded and crawled
off or what.

Suddenly I saw another squirrel at a distance and put a stalk on him. After closing the distance,
I once again sat with my back to a tree and rifle on the bipod for another head shot. A back rest
and bipod really helps steady the rifle for accurate shooting.

The woods are beautiful right now with the colored foliage.

This is a scaly bark hickory.

Here's three of the four squirrels I shot this evening, all head shots. I heard several more squacking
so there's a lot more down there. It was getting pretty dark in the woods when I took these photos.
The 541-S is really getting a good workout this year and I hope to do more.

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to say what a great collection of photos of your hunts! Thanks!...I don't post enough on forums, just glad that there are enough kindred spirits that do! Take care...

Ratzapper, thank you.

Last season's hunt was special. I hadn't done any serious squirrel hunting for several years and it was just a real pleasure to re-live some good times.

I would love to do it again this fall but it's hard to say if we will have many squirrels this year. Seems good populations have a tendency to be sporadic from one year to the next. I have found that after a good season, the following year or two aren't near as good.

Back