Rimfire Gray Squirrels

6mm06 that is one good looking 541. You caused me to think about 22 rounds. I have not seen many on a long time. I do remember shooting with my 28 gauge early, and then taking after them with the 22 later in the season. I might be forced to use the 17 HMR if I got to go any time soon.
Do any of you call squirrels ??? I still have a Mr. Squirrel that is fun to use.

MMMMMMMM Squirrel and Dumplings

Cherokee, I have also used the Mr. Squirrel to get them to squacking at me as a locator, but I don't use it very often. I mainly just still hunt, or just find a promising spot and sit down for a while.

This evening I returned yet again to the same hillside. Squirrels were everywhere. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of them this year. I ended up with 4 but couldn't find one. All were head shot.

Almost immediately after entering the woods I saw a squirrel go down the side of a hickory. He disappeared and I didn't see him again. I continued on down the path for maybe 50 yards and saw one on the distant hillside to the left in the photo. I sat down and waited for a few minutes, my back to a tree and using a bipod for a rest. A head shot dropped him. Instantly another one in a nearby tree began squacking at me. A second shot dropped him also with a head shot. Distances were between 30-40 yards.

I continued on down the path and saw another one in a hickory. Another head shot and he dropped
like a sack of potatoes down the steep hillside to the right in this photo. Try as I might I could not
find him in all the leaves. I walked down the hillside quite a ways from the base of the tree, round
and round up and down the hillside, but couldn't find him. Not sure if he was wounded and crawled
off or what.

Suddenly I saw another squirrel at a distance and put a stalk on him. After closing the distance,
I once again sat with my back to a tree and rifle on the bipod for another head shot. A back rest
and bipod really helps steady the rifle for accurate shooting.

The woods are beautiful right now with the colored foliage.

This is a scaly bark hickory.

Here's three of the four squirrels I shot this evening, all head shots. I heard several more squacking
so there's a lot more down there. It was getting pretty dark in the woods when I took these photos.
The 541-S is really getting a good workout this year and I hope to do more.

6mm06 you once again expressed the joy of hunting through your words and pics. Its funny how as we age we revert to that which gave us unadulterated joy when we first started hunting. Thanks for putting this together.

Wow this was a really good write up with photos. That Scaly Bark Hickory,,, it could be hard to see a squirrel up against that trunk. Makes me want to get out real quick. Buddy of mine called and started telling me of his hunt. I got to get out next week if possible. Good shooting and do keep it up. To me that is so relaxing to set and squirrel hunt like you were doing. I have a Turkey hunting chair that I use sometimes, they are 20-25 dollars at Walmart. Bipods or sticks can be the best friends. All of which can be carried over to other types of hunting. This will always be one of my favorites.

6mm nice pics and good story!
Im still after them using my airguns! Have upgraded now though have a few nicer ones than before once.my conputers up ill get some pics posted for you! Just watched the crow hubting dvd i got from you few years ago!!

Crowpopper, be sure to post your photos. I have always thought of getting a nice air rifle specifically for squirrels. That has to be a lot of fun no doubt.

I have been wanting to go squirrel hunting again, hopefully before they eat up everything and move out. But, it has rained here every day for the last week. We got a break today and will tomorrow but then rain is back in the forecast. Seems the fun ended too soon - with pretty foliage and nice weather anyway.

Glad you enjoyed the crow shooting video. Did I send you the rimfire groundhog video?

Ah yes you cant beat the old Remington's. I have a Rem 580 that has taken a lot of Squirrels and Coon. When I was a kid that's all we had and Rabbits but Coon was the biggest to hunt.

Fall colors can sure make for good pics... Very nice thread you got going on
thumbup1.gif

Here ya go... a rabbit shot at 121 yards with my precharged air rifle this gun is in .177 cal and shooting 18 fpe at muzzle with a 10.5 grain pellet

20131103_013047_zps2e897aa7.jpg

Crowpopper, nice rig and shooting!
I have again been bitten by the airgun bug and finally bought a PCP ...FX Independence .22 and wow I am having a blast with this rifle 75 yards is very much a shot that I can and have taken even on just the head of a squirrel ...heck I find it way more accurate then all of the rim fire .22 I have used .....6mm06 I am certain that you would love the air gun game!

Jonathan, I know I would. I have wanted a nice air rifle for a long time, just never seemed to go for it. Seems something else always gets more attention.

Those black squirrels are really neat.

I can honestly say I know exactly what you mean lol
Largely for me it was the price of the extra equipment like scuba tanks and regulators and buddy bottles all of this being way more expensive then the gun its self! ....then i found this gun, it was different in that it gave me everything I wanted from a PCP and without the expensive things and the hassle that I really did not want!
Today i shot a nice grey squirrel off hand at just over 70 yards and it was dead before it hit the ground and not 10 min latter i stocked another Black and took him cleanly with one 18 grain pellet to the brain as well at 50 yards ....this is the real great part for me ..the two were less then a 100 yards apart and neither had a clue I was there and I was able to do this at a spot that is no longer appropriate to even shoot a .22 rimfire rifle due to homes going up all around this farm

I would try to find a dedicated club in your area and get your hands on one as I think after you feel there potential in your hands your thoughts become more focused lol
best of luck my friend with your own journey!
Jonathan

Last edited:

Yea, the scuba tanks and extra expense is the main thing that has kept me from purchasing an air rifle. On top of that, I don't know anyone in my immediate area that fills tanks. The closest place I am aware of is about 60 miles away.

I know this is a squirrel hunting post, but thought I would add a short clip of some rimfire groundhogs hunts. I have been working on a video for some time now and can't seem to finish it for one reason and another. Hopefully in the near future I can wrap it up. It's a lot of fun stalking groundhogs with a rimfire.

wow some gret videos there my friend and I subscribed lol
I wish you were closer I would love to hunt with you and let you try this sucker out lol
Jonathan

That would be nice Jonathan. I'm sure you would do well at it. Hunting with a rimfire is more challenging but a barrel of fun.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I know this is a squirrel hunting post, but thought I would add a short clip of some rimfire groundhogs hunts. I have been working on a video for some time now and can't seem to finish it for one reason and another. Hopefully in the near future I can wrap it up. It's a lot of fun stalking groundhogs with a rimfire.

Dave, I just looked at your site. Can't believe I have been on here with you for this long and didn't know about it !!

You should be proud of what you have done with the videos. And more than that, spending all that time with your son! Very, very nice.
thumbup1.gif

Back