Red vs White light...

I used red this past week end in texas. I saw a yote coming at proably 200 yards eyes glowed big time. When they stop or get where I want to shoot them I hit them with the white light to be sure what I am shooting. I have the primos 350 yard light (bull crap 350 yards but a nice light)

I use a red and mostly green cover on my Lightforce the advantage of the green over the red is that you can see much further out next I am going to purchase a zebra stripe cover from Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

i have killed over 1000 coyotes with a aircraft landing light.average distance 250yds,some a lot farther a few very close.some of the best memories of hunting,it is just so different,you can see the bullet if you don't blink,and have a heavy gun or a 17.rem.my son's thought it was easy after watching me and my pardner do this ,until they tried.

You're right lyotehunter, sometimes you can see the bullet as it goes to the target. White lights have been used for years and with great success, knowing how to use them helps alot. that's all we had back then.
I believe it was Murry Burnham sometime back in the 60s that found out about the red lights from a zoo. I've been using red lights almost since the idea first came out.
Over the years I've tried all kinds of colors, but none work as good as a red light.
I personally don't use a powerful light and normally don't shoot animals far out at night, they can sometimes be hard to find at 200 yards or so in the terrain I usually hunt.
In my opinion there is no red vs white, it all comes down to experience with the light you are using.
lyotehunter, who was counting your dead coyotes? That's alot of coyotes for a recreational coyote hunter. I know a couple guys that posted on this subject that have that many or more. Other hunters don't realise what it takes to do that, congrats to you.

PS, aircraft landing lights were used back in the 50s and 60s. I know, I used them before.

Last edited:
Zoo's found out that nocturnal animals can not see the color red and colors in that end of the spectrum. I used a maximum of 100,000 candle power, and in tight spots, a 35,000 candle power with red lenses. All the lights were aircraft landing lights.

We always looked for eyes, not the body of the coyote.

Quote:
Zoo's found out that nocturnal animals can not see the color red...

Then why do they blink at a bright red light? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

See this is something i have been curious of as well...no opne has gave me clear answer yet. Can the coyotes see the red light or not...?? I personally think they know when a light comes on. Even if it is red. Anyone have an actual answer to this?

Quote:
Can the coyotes see the red light or not...??

Heck, they see pretty darn well in total darkness! I think they see all light, they just can't see past it when it's in their eyes.

To think you can blast a coyote in the eyes with a spotlight and he not see it because it is red.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
...uh, makes me want to laugh.

See that was my idea...people have tried telling me that for years (that they can't see the color red...same with deer) which that might be so that they can't see red...but i am sure they can prolly see light...

The thing you have to realize is that when you put a red filter on a light, most of the light comes through as RED. But, not all of it. There is some light from other spectrums and I'm guessing they will detect that to some degree. But, the do not detect the red wavelengths.

Feel free to use any color light you want but when someone with a ton of experience tells you that red works better, I wouldn't argue that point, I'd just use red.

Randy

Lol, Randy you have a way of putting things sometimes that gets the point across.
Hey, I seen your write up in Predator Hunting magazine, good going and nice article.
I don't get it, why haven't they ever asked me to write an article, somebody must have told them about the two headed coyote story? lol

Quote:
... most of the light comes through as RED. But, not all of it.

What color is it then?

Quote:
There is some light from other spectrums and I'm guessing they will detect that to some degree. But, the do not detect the red wavelengths.

Why is it you're guessing about all the other color spectrums but are so certain about the red wavelengths?
Do you talk with coyotes?
..or have you done a scientific study to back up those thoughts?
...or does the movie business make one an expert?

Quote:
...when someone with a ton of experience tells you that red works better, I wouldn't argue that point, I'd just use red.

Nobody argued with you until you placed yourself on the upper shelf. Now I wish to debate with you. Please explain the points you made without all the PM "good ol' boy club members" coming to your defense.

I have no real place in a debate of this sort, since I am brand new, but if you are not convinced, why not try some experiments on your own and see what happens? I would rather take the advice of those that have been doing this for years with great success than to have to learn everything the hard way, but I am also hard-headed at times and have to learn through my own failures (I have a science background so that is sometimes my downfall).

However, I do not have the time and opportunity to try all of the experimenting I would like. My poor dog has to put up with my "experiments". She was on her own for a couple of years before we got her and had to fend for herself, there are many things about her that make her seem pretty close to the ground. Anyway, she has had to put up with me and my lighting experiments, and all I really know is if I light her at 100 yards with the white light, I can see her but she first blinks, and then immediately closes her eyes and won't look back towards me again. You can tell it bothers her eyes.

When I shine the red light, which is very cheap and doesn't seem to go that far (but it actually does, I have seen eyes far, far away but can't really estimate the yardage, more than 200 I am sure), her eyes glow like candles and she doesn't turn away at all, in fact if I am calling her in she will come right to me with the light shining in her eyes. That is enough for me.

Of all the great advice I have gotten here, the one I am sold on is to have good, red filtered lights. I can't spring for what I want yet because it is not in my budget, but I am definitely sold on getting better lights (probably a cap-fitted light for my situation) when I can. Nothing has frustrated my efforts more than having my lights die on me at the wrong time.

I have a question for anyone that made it through my long post. If I get a "coon-type" head mounted light, will that shield me the same way a spotlight would? Will they be able to see my profile, gun etc? I need help making a decision on what I am going to buy. I am doing "close in" hunting.

Thanks!

Last edited:
jordanfax

Those ballcap mounted headlights are great for scanning and picking up incoming eyes. It will shield YOU to some degree. BUT, when you stick that gun up to your shoulder, anything forward of that red lense will be illuminated and reflecting light. That movement will be easily seen. Movement will normally make him leave asap.

I use the headlights for scanning, it is not overpowering/overwhelming. As soon as I pick up eyes I have my wife or whoever I am hunting with light em up with the Lightforce and I then shutdown my headlight. We take turns on the gun and Lightforce. It is just the way we do it. It works for us, regularly.

If a coyote sees the same as a dog (and I would seriously bet that they do), try this experiment:

See if your dog will react to a red laser pointer.

That's monochromatic red light, and they go crazy chasing it. So does a cat.

Exactly what it looks like to them, I have no idea, but they can detect it.

I'd personally use red due to the fact it doesn't cause your pupils to dilate, which ruins your night vision for a long spell (but that's just my opinion, I don't do enough night hunting to be any kind of "expert").

Quote:
Lol, Randy you have a way of putting things sometimes that gets the point across.
Hey, I seen your write up in Predator Hunting magazine, good going and nice article.
I don't get it, why haven't they ever asked me to write an article, somebody must have told them about the two headed coyote story? lol

Hi Danny,

I'd love to see your two headed coyote story written up in a national magazine! I think it would sell some copy.

You may have to write it up again and submit it!

Thanks for the kind words on the article.

Randy

Quote:
...or does the movie business make one an expert?

Nobody argued with you until you placed yourself on the upper shelf. Now I wish to debate with you. Please explain the points you made without all the PM "good ol' boy club members" coming to your defense.

My goodness. That's a heck of an attitude.

I have no intention of debating you on anything. If you want to use red, use red. If you want to use white, use white. If you want to use magenta or taupe, then go for it. I don't care what anyone else uses as long as I'm not hunting with them.

As far as the movie business making me an expert. Of course it did. And, it made me filthy rich and sourrounded by well-endowed blondes too.

Later
Randy

Quote:
jordanfax

Those ballcap mounted headlights are great for scanning and picking up incoming eyes. It will shield YOU to some degree. BUT, when you stick that gun up to your shoulder, anything forward of that red lense will be illuminated and reflecting light. That movement will be easily seen. Movement will normally make him leave asap.

I use the headlights for scanning, it is not overpowering/overwhelming. As soon as I pick up eyes I have my wife or whoever I am hunting with light em up with the Lightforce and I then shutdown my headlight. We take turns on the gun and Lightforce. It is just the way we do it. It works for us, regularly.

Makes perfect sense. I have also wondered about my scope light. It is a cheaper one and does not throw brillant light, but it is enough for me to see an animal through the scope. Since it is not really bright and is mounted on my scope, can my prey still see the end of my rifle? Too make it worse, it looks like the light is reflecting off of the end of it. Just wondering if it makes a difference.

Thanks again for your help! I have good news under my "Need Help with local foxes" topic!

Leslie

Back