Red vs White light...

KingTito

Hi All,

I've got a question regarding the efficacy of white vs red light for hunting yotes. I've read a lot of stuff that says red light bothers them less, but since the red filters really cut the range on most of these rechargable handheld spotlights, I've been using them without any filter over the last couple of weeks.

It seems, from my own experience, that they really don't care about the white light - I've had them come within 50 feet of me, all the while keeping the light just above their heads... so, the question is, is the whole red filter thing just a bunch of nonsense, much like yellow fog-lamps on cars, or am I scaring off the more cautious dogs by using the white light and would the numbers increase if I switched over to red?

Also, if red is the way to go, do any of you have a recommendation for a good long-lasting rechargeable spotlight that can actually throw a *red* beam out to any real distance? I'm currently using a rechargable high-intensity LED spot, called a "Cyclops" from Thor/Sirius, and it has a great range (about 150-300 yds) without the filter on (also lasts FOREVER) but doesn't seem to go more than 100 *feet* with the red filter on.

Thanks for any help.

A lot may have to do with hunting pressure too.
If you are hunting in a low pressure area where they don't get spot lighted much, any light may work well. Just speculation on my part though.

M

Last edited:
You noticed that you could see 150 to 300 yards with the white beam. I think you will find that even with the red lens on that eyes will shine almost as far away. The problem with red comes with our eyes and being able to positively identify our target. The brown and green of the outdoors along with the tan and greys of our targets suck up, for lack of a better term, all the red hue leaving us unable to see very well at longer distance. The red light is still getting out that far we just can't see with it.

I am going to try yellow this year. Maybe even green.

Animals I think will notice the brightness of a light rather than the color. I have nothing to back that up just seems so at times. And yes I think hunting pressure may have a lot to do with it. We have gone through posts similar to this in the past but it is always good to readdress it now and then.

The White light frightens some of the yotes, they think its a car or truck coming at them at Night....(Kill,Death by Machine)if there in and/or near any Highway,road....

If White is working for you, thats good......

The Red Lens is Easy on there eyes and they don't know the light/color unless you have a lot of hunters (Burning) them with the bright Red light (On them All the Time) instead of keeping them on the Halo (Outside of the Light Beam)untill they come in to your Kill Range.......then aim the beam directly on them....and SHOOT

They may be a yote, but there Not Stupid, Very Smart and they Learn from Mistakes, like We Do..........

In Heavly Hunted areas with the Red Filter, when the yotes dont want to come in on the Red Filter, Green seems to work Very well......

It just depends on where you are......

Good Hunting........Have a Great day..........

Heres my take on it. I have a mini mag light and I colored the lens green. The green dosent seem to bother them either. I can pick eyes up easy at 100 yards-150 yards.. Probably further I just dont have the terrain to do it. Now when I go to shoot I lightem up with a regular d-battery mag light. YOu dont have to see the beam for eyes to light up.. try it on road signs, it reflects much further than you would think. Then when they are inside gun range lightem up with the white light and shoot quick.

Do a search here and you will find a LOT of discussion about red or white. I have found after 42 years of shining, that after you use a white light for a while in an area, the animals will get light shy. I use nothing but a red lens, and see animals out past 500 yards. But, that's just me.

With my Lightforce 160 and Red lens, I have been able to pick up the yotes eyes at 400 yds. with ease.
Randy said 500 yd's, so there ya go.

Quote:
if you are using a red dot do you loose the dot?

I use a lighted red dot and I can assure you that it does not disappear in the light from a red spot light.

I use a 10X Leupold with a boon & crocket reticle and have never had any problems. A friend use to shoot a Nightforce NXS with a lit reticle and liked it very much. He use to shoot with red light exclusively so he had the red led in the scope changed out to a green one to help it stand out against the red background. It did of course stand out better but there really wasn't any issues with the red reticle.

Good hunting.

Q,

Hey guys, thanks for all of the information. I really appreciate it and it's great to see the diversity of opinions. I'm going to give the red light a try for a while and see what happens with it :)

Predator Xtreme did a study using white vs red lens. They concluded according to their hunts, that low intensity red for spotting eyes and high intensity red for taking the shot proved to work best. Although they say animals were called in with white lighting as well, they just had more come in with the Red.

I dont like the red lens that come with spotlights! I usually take some see-thru red celophane paper and tape it one to my lens! It works great for me! The lens that come with the spotlight are WAY too thick!

Andrew

Quote:
I dont like the red lens that come with spotlights! I usually take some see-thru red celophane paper and tape it one to my lens! It works great for me! The lens that come with the spotlight are WAY too thick!

Andrew

I thought about doing something like this. Have you had any trouble with the cellophane getting too hot or even melting? I don't know how much heat it can take.

jordan,
I just got a sheet of "light gel" from McMaster-Carr, it's rated for 257*F. Does a much better job. The sheet is 20"x24" I only used a small corner of it. Lemme know what size you need and I'll send you some. Here's what McM says about it:

Light Filters

Also known as gels on theatrical, stage, and movie lighting sets, these filters block or transmit specific wavelengths of light in optical and lighting applications. Cut to size with scissors for use in front of any light source. Rated for use with up to 1000 watt light sources.
Red, blue, and green filters allow only the same color lightwave to pass through the filter while blocking the rest out. Max. temperature is 257° F. IR filter has a reflective coating that absorbs infrared spectrum. Max. temperature is 257° F. UV filter blocks the transmission of ultraviolet light. Max. temperature is 257° F. Polarizer filter reduces glare from smooth, reflective surfaces. Max. temperature is 140° F.

peace.
unloaded

KT,
My findings reflect yours. My experiences show it isn't the color, it is the brightness. For instance if you have a 100watt white light, putting a red lense over it, depending on the type, could reduce your lights efficiency to the equivilent of 20-80watts. I like to adjust my light according to how dark it is out in relation to the moon and cloud cover. Dark nights require VERY LITTLE light to light up eyes. Full moon and clear skies require alot more light, add snow on the ground and you don't even need a light. Like someone else mentioned, test it on a reflector, vehichle, or road sign. I do this EVERY night so I know the minimal intensity setting. (BTW, my light is adjustable with a rheostat)
I don't think anyone who answered you is trying to steer you wrong, but keep in mind some newbs parrot what they hear to give an impression of being an expert. Your own experiences and what your eyes tell you ought to supercede anything you read on the internet.

Back