NV vs. FLIR advise

Originally Posted By: SkyPupThat is some massive firepower, I've never had anything walk away from my Ruger #1 7mm Rem Mag, so I am amazed they can take that kind of hard hitting wallop!

No kidding here, simply astonished at this story. I usually hear stories of wild Safari's in Africa with folks using .375's to down game...But this sets a whole new standard of what gun to bring to a hog fight.

Vic

killed lots of wild hogs killed with 22mag and many more with 223, and a good bit with 243, don't see a euro hog being anymore tuff than a south Texas hog with proper shot placement ? not saying it didn't happen just would have liked to found that hog and seen the shot placement? seen hog, coyotes, and bobcats dropped and get up with a shot to the leg/foot

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: the impactzone

killed lots of wild hogs killed with 22mag and many more with 223, and a good bit with 243, don't see a euro hog being anymore tuff than a south Texas hog with proper shot placement ? not saying it didn't happen just would have liked to found that hog and seen the shot placement? seen hog, coyotes, and bobcats dropped and get up with a shot to the leg/foot

This one went down with one shot at about 240yds, you can see where the bullet hit her.

imag3155.jpg

Head shot is always good even with smaller rounds.

But this is why we want to avoid head shots to running boars. I shot this one on his chin and broke it and I could not collect the tusks
frown.gif

img20130511035925.jpg

img20130511035957.jpg

What I am trying to say that at driven hunts where the pigs run for their life it is very difficult to shoot a head shot from such far distances on running objects. That's why we are used to shooting them from shoulder. Which can take more than just one shot.

But don't forget these are 300-400 lbs monsters with thick coats and lots of power..

I heard a true story a hunter shot a big one with .375 twice but the boar ran away. The next day they went to find him. When they came close to the boar, they heard heavy breating behind the bushes and suddenly got attacked by the very same boar and the hunter jumped off a small rock save his backside and broke his arm and ribs.

Last edited:
Whats always amazing about these stories is the ammo we're talking about here. The shock trauma alone from a .300wm and .375's is horrendous...And to hear about any animal still moving after getting hit several times near any vitals is mind boggling regardless.

Vic

have you ever heard of anyone using a 12 ga. slug or sabot on hogs? I would think inside 50 yards would be fine. no hogs around here other than ones being raised on a farm. just wondered if anyone has used a shotgun.

Originally Posted By: Shurshothave you ever heard of anyone using a 12 ga. slug or sabot on hogs? I would think inside 50 yards would be fine. no hogs around here other than ones being raised on a farm. just wondered if anyone has used a shotgun.

This is absolutely correct. 99.9% of the villagers here in Turkey use 12ga. with slugs or sabots that shoots 9 round pellets.

The reason is:
1) A rifle licence is about 2000$, shotgun licence is about 20$
2) You can buy a 12 ga. shotgun for as cheap as 300$, where as the cheapest rifle is around 6000-7000$

Also the boars live mainly inside the forests where there are lots of trees and it's easier to shoot with a shotgun in such distances. I would say they shoot their boars at maximum 65-75 yds.

In my case when I go wild boar hunting with villagers they always put me in such strategical places where I have about 200-300 yds shooting distances and the villagers mainly get in contact with the boars within 30-40 yds.

However these shotguns are useless for night boar hunting or for any other type of hunting where they have to shoot targets further than 75-100 yds.

There is a strong belief here a 12ga shotgun would make more damage than a rifle in distances upto 40 yds.

took this one last night with D760 on a 243 shooting 80gr TSX at about 120 yards hit through the shoulder it ran 40 yards, he was over 225lb easy

Last edited:
Look nice , good job. Looks like 3-4 years old ?

You guys are using D-740 and D-760 models, i just checked that the 760 has 6x zoom which is very good.

I have 3 questions
1) What color do you see ? Green or B/W
2) Do you get a short black outs caused by firing the bullet ?
3) Can you see the tusks with your NV say in 100 yds with the help of IR illuminator ?

green with red or green crosshairs
short bloom out at the shot with out a can
I bet you could see tusk at 100 I can count points on a deer at 200.

our hog hunting here in Texas is for removal so you shoot the big sows first.

but back to the OP it takes both thermal and NV my go to rig is the D760 and LS64

This was one of my bigger boars about 450 pounds that I shot in the backyard of my house through the lungs at 175 yards with my custom Thompson Center Carbine in .223 with a 75 grain handloaded Hornady BTHP:

TC%20Hog%201.jpg

TC%20Hog%205.jpg

TC%20Hog%206.jpg

Here are his tusks:

Monster%20Hog%201%20Jaw.jpg

TC%20Hog7.jpg

He broke on of his uppers off when I shot him somehow.

I've killed about ten of them this big with my 5.56mm SIGS.....

[beeep], i thought it was a cow
smile.gif
Look how small your rifle looks... Nice backyard you have...

Great tusker , his upper tusk may be broken before for some other reason.

Do you usually collect the tusks if they are big enough ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doublecheese[beeep], i thought it was a cow
smile.gif
Look how small your rifle looks... Nice backyard you have...

Great tusker , his upper tusk may be broken before for some other reason.

Do you usually collect the tusks if they are big enough ?

I save the heads of the ones with very big tusks, but I have so many now I have nowhere left to display them, my barn is covered with hogs heads and coyote heads:

Hog%20Heads.jpg

Here is another big boar that was over 450 pounds:

Monster%20Hog%20IIA.jpg

Monster%20Hog%20IIB.jpg

Nice
smile.gif

This is how we collect the tusks, kind of different to yours
smile.gif

img20130513000603.jpg

P.S. These are not mine, they belong to a friend. I ain't got that much yet
smile.gif

I already use the Flir T360 for scanning the surroundings in the night during hunting. But I think it is time that I buy a Thermal Riflescope and a better Thermal observation device. I am currently thinking of doing the following

1) To buy a GSCi TWS3075GCxl-17 640x480 Rifle Scope
2) Thinking of buying a new Thermal Observation Device, was thinking of the Flir BHS-XR PRO100mm ,

But I just received the Flir BHS-XR100mm as a Demo Unit and will try it out tonight in the mountains. My first expressions though.

100mm has a very narrow Field of View and the screen Resolution is very bad for a 640x480 device.

And the devide is too [beeep] big , here is a picture of it compared to my current Flir T360 and a Buck knife. I think I will skip buying the BHS-XR Pro 100mm and look for something better.

imag0936m.jpg

Back