NV vs. FLIR advise

TV308 said:
After much contemplation I pulled the trigger on a lightly used PS32 listed in the classifieds(thanks FamilyGuy). I figure worst case scenario I hate it and have to sell it to upgrade to LS64. A rental for the weekend would cost me $150 so if I have to take a bit of a loss on resale i'll just consider it an extended rental fee...lol. Hope I love it as much as most seem to. From your collective input I have garnered that it should fit the bill for me. Taking your advice I also ordered an IR illuminator. I will post an after action report...am planning a pig assasination trip to the ranch for memorial day weekend....full moon+D740 and FLIR should be recipe for multiple dead hogs.

Thanks again for all your input!

Tom,

You will be happy with the PS32 as long as you dont look through an LS64:)

Best of luck on your Hogventure!

DDW

Originally Posted By: TV308After much contemplation I pulled the trigger on a lightly used PS32 listed in the classifieds(thanks FamilyGuy). I figure worst case scenario I hate it and have to sell it to upgrade to LS64. A rental for the weekend would cost me $150 so if I have to take a bit of a loss on resale i'll just consider it an extended rental fee...lol. Hope I love it as much as most seem to. From your collective input I have garnered that it should fit the bill for me. Taking your advice I also ordered an IR illuminator. I will post an after action report...am planning a pig assasination trip to the ranch for memorial day weekend....full moon+D740 and FLIR should be recipe for multiple dead hogs.

Thanks again for all your input!

Tom

After you get the IR and the flir you will hate the moon and the stars, the darker the better. The critters won't have a clue what hit them, even the yotes
laugh.gif
The suppressed sbr 300blk will come into play. The hogs will not know which way to run with supers or subs. The supers confuse them with the sonic boom following the bullet, thats where the noise is coming from. All you need is video out adaptor for flir and dvr to record the assassination.

I still think a Flir T360 may be a better solution to Flir PS32/LS64. Flir T360 is an older model and you might be able to find it with a good price.

Don't forget with T360 you can do everything PS32/LS64 can do and T360 has other features that PS32/LS64 don't.

The only advantage of LS64 compared to T360 is, it is 640x320 compared to 320x240

The reason I say T360 since it is an older device you might get it with a good price and can do much more than PS/LS

My friends have LS and Scout BTS, we find Flir T360 more handy to use out of these 3

Just my 2 cents

Shypup,
Wow! You're going to have to choose which unit you take out on a given night. That or you'll be able to outfit a small hoard of hunters.

I have a new PVS-14 on it's way. Brown truck should arrive tomorrow. Slight problem, I had spinal lumbar fusion Dec. 7 and fell off my roof April 13 and broke my back.

Got to get back in shape and get back out.

Originally Posted By: doublecheeseI still think a Flir T360 may be a better solution to Flir PS32/LS64. Flir T360 is an older model and you might be able to find it with a good price.

Don't forget with T360 you can do everything PS32/LS64 can do and T360 has other features that PS32/LS64 don't.

The only advantage of LS64 compared to T360 is, it is 640x320 compared to 320x240

The reason I say T360 since it is an older device you might get it with a good price and can do much more than PS/LS

My friends have LS and Scout BTS, we find Flir T360 more handy to use out of these 3

Just my 2 cents

I prefer helmet mounting the flir unit. The t360 is way too big.
Flir helmet mounted link

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JB55Shypup,
Wow! You're going to have to choose which unit you take out on a given night. That or you'll be able to outfit a small hoard of hunters.

I have a new PVS-14 on it's way. Brown truck should arrive tomorrow. Slight problem, I had spinal lumbar fusion Dec. 7 and fell off my roof April 13 and broke my back.

Got to get back in shape and get back out.

YIKES!!! So sorry to hear that, I have a friend that had four lower lumbars fused and he is still in a body cast for the next 8 weeks, that is some serious pain my friend.....you will enjoy that PVS-4 though and perhaps would be good physical therapy to go out hunting at night and using it, we cover miles and miles every week and it is great, sometimes strenuous, exercise...

Sounds good
smile.gif
You can keep your hands to yourself and concentrate more on shooting...but it won't be any good at my type of hunting, I generally go with 1 or 2 people with me and due to T360's 3,5" LCD screen, everybody can see what is happening in the dark .

When I am out there hunting at night, we usually go with a tractor. One guy drives, the other one holds the Flir T360 to scan the surroundings and I am with my rifle and NV riflescope once my friend spots something we stop the tractor and walk towards our target.

However, jackals, foxes and roe deers at my hunting spot seem they are used to tractor noise and they don't run away much. They rather watch the tractor thus being an easy target
smile.gif

Wow this one looks good
smile.gif
Go for it ..... I wish I could get one too.....But we are not allowed to have Thermal Riflescopes
frown.gif

BTW, how was the hunt yesterday ?

Originally Posted By: doublecheeseWow this one looks good
smile.gif
Go for it ..... I wish I could get one too.....But we are not allowed to have Thermal Riflescopes
frown.gif

Nothing happened but deer, coons, possums, bobcats, and armadillos.
mellow.gif

HOWEVER, at 9AM this morning my wife called me from home to tell me, "Your friend are here again....." as there was a herd of very large hogs in the pond behind my barn about 250 yards out the backdoor of my house...
w00t.gif

Stay tuned for pics and/or thermal videos of the forthcoming porcine massacare, I am going to get the 7.62mm out for this.....
drool.gif

Originally Posted By: SkyPupOriginally Posted By: doublecheeseWow this one looks good
smile.gif
frown.gif

Nothing happened but deer, coons, possums, bobcats, and armadillos.
mellow.gif

HOWEVER, at 9AM this morning my wife called me from home to tell me, "Your friend are here again....." as there was a herd of very large hogs in the pond behind my barn about 250 yards out the backdoor of my house...
w00t.gif

Stay tuned for pics and/or thermal videos of the forthcoming porcine massacare, I am going to get the 7.62mm out for this.....
drool.gif

Wow looking forward to those massacre videos
smile.gif
7.62mm is a good choice, I use 300 win mag and I can take out a large one with one bullet.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupWaHoo! You have got to post some pics of those wild boars that you shoot.

I bet they are feeding on the sea oats on the shoreline!!

We are going out on a major hunt tonight, so may have some more pics tomorrow, it is supposed to be 80% rain, but we go anyhow...

My hunt was over last night and will be back home on wednesday, I had terrific hunts and all in the night. We only hunted KEILER as we say in Europe, it means male wild boars with big tusks. ( I don't know if there is word for this in English) The hunt guide did not let me use my thermal cam as they knew where the wild boars would be and we only used N.V. I will post some pictures when I get back home.

Here is a teaser though :b

dsc00918i.jpg

Originally Posted By: doublecheeseOriginally Posted By: SkyPupWaHoo! You have got to post some pics of those wild boars that you shoot.

I bet they are feeding on the sea oats on the shoreline!!

We are going out on a major hunt tonight, so may have some more pics tomorrow, it is supposed to be 80% rain, but we go anyhow...

My hunt was over last night and will be back home on wednesday, I had terrific hunts and all in the night. We only hunted KEILER as we say in Europe, it means male wild boars with big tusks. ( I don't know if there is word for this in English) The hunt guide did not let me use my thermal cam as they knew where the wild boars would be and we only used N.V. I will post some pictures when I get back home.

Here is a teaser though :b

dsc00918i.jpg

Yup, that looks like a Russian Boar to me, nice tusker!

And great photo too, I can see the corn in his mouth on his palette even!

What ammo did you use?
Are you getting him mounted as that is a nice trophy!!

These are Turkish boars, they look similar to Russian but these are much bigger in size and weight
smile.gif

I shot 7 in total , I could have shot more but each one is costing money $$$.

I used Fusion 300 win mag 165grain , I also had 220gr Hornaby's but there was no need if you place the shot correctly
wink.gif

I am getting all 7 sets of tusks.

Last edited:
Nice work on those Turkish boars, they look like they do an awful lot of damage.

A .300 Win Mag sounds like a good round to have a go at 'em too....

Originally Posted By: doublecheeseThese are Turkish boars, they look similar to Russian but these are much bigger in size and weight
smile.gif

I used Fusion 300 win mag 165grain , I also had 220gr Hornaby's but there was no need if you place the shot correctly
wink.gif

What weight are we talking here? I do love the 300WM at 165gr! What kind of velocity have you chrono'd with that?

Vic

Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVCOriginally Posted By: doublecheeseThese are Turkish boars, they look similar to Russian but these are much bigger in size and weight
smile.gif

wink.gif

What weight are we talking here? I do love the 300WM at 165gr! What kind of velocity have you chrono'd with that?

Vic

I never chrono'd them but when I look at the Fusion website it says 3080 fps, which is quite fast.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=662

The good thing with these Fusions , I realised that generally the bullet stays inside the Wild Boar which I think is a good thing.

That is nice, I figured you would be using a European round like the 7X57mm Mauser, the Fusion bonded core bullets perform very well as evidenced of no pass through when every shot counts!

Back