Northern Calif hunting??

Any of you local to Sac or Auburn, if you know of a reliable 4 stroke 4x4 quad for sale preferably a 350-450 let me know. I am in the market for one and currently am shopping around.

Rukus

EBAY!! There was a 2003 Kodiak 450 4x4 with 90 miles on it for $3900 or something close. Unbelieveable! I bought mine from a place in Alabama and saved a great deal.

Snarkler

'shoot straight'

Originally posted by Rukus:
[qb]Any of you local to Sac or Auburn, if you know of a reliable 4 stroke 4x4 quad for sale preferably a 350-450 let me know. I am in the market for one and currently am shopping around.

Rukus[/qb]

thats what i thought. i think someone told me coyotes arent up in the high sierras of calif. because its too high of an elevation, it gets too cold, or there isnt available prey up there.

Andrew,

I don’t want to come across as an expert because I’m not, but I do know a few things on these critters.

They are one of the most adaptable animals on Earth, they can live in almost any climate, and they eat whatever makes it’s way to it’s mouth.

Don’t let the elevation of the Sierra’s fool ya; there is a lot of food for those Yotes to eat.

I was just up there Saturday scouting for deer and noticed they’re food supplies were nearly endless. They have chipmunks (1,000’s of them), mice, birds, Alder Berries, lizards, fish, deer fawns, and whatever is dead and rotting on the ground. They don’t go hungry!

As for the elevation, it was pretty hot this weekend, well into the 80’s. At night it got down to around the low 50’s. The hard winters may chase them down a bit but according to my friend who lives in Truckee they stay most years. Pretty good trash can raiders when they get real hungry.

Anyway, once we get this club up and running we’ll be learning all kinds of new stuff from each other.

Steve

22-250VT, not all of North America has coyotes. None on Catalina Island, none on the top of Mt. Whitiney, none in the middle of lake Tahoe, none in down town Los Angeles. I can think of lots of places in North America that don't have coyotes lol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

thanks guys. are those chipmunks ok to shoot or are they protected?

what type of call do you think would work best for those high country 'yotes?

i know there are TONS of brushy and not so brushy clear cuts all over the mountains here. i would imagine a good place to set up would be on the edge, just inside the timber of one of the cuts. what do you think?

andrew i think your best bet would be a fawn in desteress, sitting up just inside the timber, is also good but remmber they like to circle, so youll have them coming through the cut also through the timber, youll likely get a lot of action from bobcats. good luck Randy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Folks,

I've been WAY to busy to keep up with this stuff - but I'm dying to hear something about the new club! I know I've had two emails (at least), one from Rucus and one other (sorry, my mind is shot).

So anyway, I'm pouting because I had to work part of this weekend and didn't get out for the deer opener.

Anybody see anything this weekend in D3-D6? I know the 'yotes will be out. Always are. The only times i've been able to call them in has been during deer season. :)

Well, keep me in mind if anyone wants to get out. I'm kind of in a bad way right now, had to sell my bronco and don't have a quad, but will be glad to pay for gas and even lunch...

steve

i cant afford bear OR dear hunting this year so i figure ill take it out on the more inexpensive(free) critters.

buba, why have you only been able to call them during the deer season? are they just not active once the temp begins to drop in late fall?

you guys talk like you spot 'yotes just cruisin' out in the open while your deer hunting. this true?

i need to look for a fawn in distress call soon i guess. all i have are rabbit in distress calls. think they may work?

Andrew -
The reason i see them during deer season is that's when I'm out for the longest at one time (and up the earliest). :)

Actually I don't know why, but I see them moving though small ditches and such while I'm sitting on stand. I've still not shot one of them myself, but I've called them in for a few friends. Mostly open reeds, but also a closed read. I now have a phantom caller - will try it this year.

Now that I think about it, maybe they know I won't shoot 'em while I'm waiting for a deer....

steve

Andrew,

Last weekend my buddy and I kicked up 12 Yotes while on 3 wheeler ATC's.

I don't see many while deer hunting, I see mostly bears while I deer hunt. Go figure. I don't normally shoot the Yotes while deer hunting but I have a few times out of fustration.

We'll take you out once we get the club up and going. Between all of us we're bound to learn new tricks and areas.

Steve

1buba, nice to see you around again. The club is in the works as well as a web page. I am hoping to have the web page up later this week even if it is plain text and stick figure pictures =)

I am awaiting a reply from Mike Paul the Admin, as I don't want to step on any toes. Once we get the Ok, I'll post some info regarding the club here for you all to read.

Rukus

Rukus, BABY!!!!

You deserve an award! Cool deal on the club AND the site. I know what a job a web site is (did that stuff in a previous life... With the nights cooling down, I'm getting the bug BAD! This saturday I'll be cutting wood for the winter, but after that I need to smell burning powder. Maybe we (the startings of the club) could meet up for breakfast and a couple hours at the range?

RE: the site - my time is limited, but I'd love to help if you need it. Also, if you haven't picked out a host yet, I've got one that I'm moving all my stuff to. Feller by the name of Jessie uses 'em too. I'd be proud to put links off my website too once we get it up.

So - how 'bout some info - for those of you in the area that this club may cover, what's in your possibles bag? Gun, call, camo, etc? Love hearing about other guys gear.

have a great week guys,
steve

Steve I just may take you up on the design aspect. I am a total novice when it comes to building web pages. I have a host already, just working on the site it's self now.

Joe

1BUBA

I have a 4 varmint rifles 2 .223 (one is semi auto) and one .22-250 and one .243. All are real nice and have seen coyotes on the other end of the barrell except the .22-250 (only had it for 4 mos now). I reload all my own rounds too.

I have hand calls and SOON... a Loudmouth Electronic Caller with remote. I use my 2002 Grizzly 4x4 to get out to remote spots and cover lots of ground. It has all the bells & whistles including a winch, extra lights and 2 gun racks plus packs! It is nice to ride vs a truck. I also have a Bushrag Ghillie suit www.bushrag.com for hiding from coyotes.

HEY RUKUS what is the deal with the club?

Snarkler

'Shoot Straight'

RUKUS / ANDREW

http://groups.yahoo.com/ can be used to create a local group for the Nor Cal CA based varmint hunters to make plans and keep tabs on who the club develops versus strictly using this board or individual emails. On a group, daily posts are summarized and emailed out to all signed up in the yahoo group. It is pretty cool and you should check it out instead of stressing over a web site.

Food for thought

Snarkler

Back