New to lever guns question

The only lever action I owned was a Marlin 336 SS 30-30. Simple as removing one screwing in the lever and the lever, bolt and ejector came out in under 90 seconds. Cleaned the barrel through the receiver to the muzzle. Reassembly was just as fast.

The only time I took it completely a part was when I hunted in rainy , snowy conditions and/or I fell/dropped in the mud.

My Grandfather owned a Winchester 32 lever action, but I don't remember him ever cleaning it.

Last edited:
we've always just run them from the front on the dirty thirty's and make sure we're using a soft rod (alum, brass) so if you do make contact you dont mess up the crown.

its effective as long as you're not trying to bull in a china shop clean the thing :)

While it might seem to make sense that a soft rod is better on the bore if it makes contact than a steel rod I have always been told that a soft rod is actually worse for a bore than a steel rod. The reason is that the soft rod holds all the dirty bad stuff in a slurry film embedded in the soft surface of the rod and if it makes contact this slurry acts as an abrasive paste rubbing on the bore. A stainless rod won't hold micro metal chips, carbon, jacket materials, powder fouling, and all in a slurry on the rod and is supposed to be less dangerous for the bore than the soft rods. Pretty sure the serious benchrest crowd that is so interested in shooting consistent micro-groups from expensive custom barrels uses solid one-piece steel rods for cleaning.

Back