New to lever guns question

crapshoot

How do y'all clean them? I'm assuming from the muzzle end since you can't come in from the breach with a rod.
Do you strip out the loading mechanism to keep crap from getting in it?
Im working on a rossi m92.

I was really hoping that wasn't the case. Thanks for the info. I think I'll just pull a bore snake through it till I do a deep cleaning.

I carefully clean my m94's, which are pretty similar design, from the muzzle, and then swab the chamber with a bent piece of cleaning rod. Those slow rounds don't copper foul badly and low pressure rounds don't bake on the carbon really either so it doesn't usually take much. I've never used a bore snake but if it's clean I don't see the harm in it. An alternative would be the Otis cable system to brush and swab from the breech to the muzzle, which I've used with good results.

I open the action and stuff it with paper towel to keep stuff from getting in the action, mine are Savage 99's, no working from the back unless a takedown model.

Or turn it belly up like we do w/gas guns to keep solvent out of gas system. The Otis will allow use of brush but probably not necessary and the bent cleaning rod works great to clean chamber; can also put a brush on them. Another tip for pull through is to take some string trimmer line, heat end and bress agianst flat surface to form a knot on one end, then clip to proper length at a sharp angle to make it easier to thread onto patch. Fits nicely in a shoe polish can to carry with you in the field.
1710178573662.jpeg

Last edited:
For the chamber:

To protect the crown while cleaning from the muzzle:

The set from 17-30 caliber will work for your .357 rifle as long as the .30 guide will slide onto your cleaning rod. If your cleaning rod is too large in diameter for the .30 caliber guide then the other style which is more bore specific should work.

I like the pro-shot copper cleaner (VI?) - takes out the carbon too. Stuff is kinda thick, not foamy but works well. Cleanup with Hoppes and oil swab. I use a coated tipton rod for my Henry Long Ranger 308W. Spray the chamber with brake cleaner.

Last edited:
I like pro-shot cleaning equipment, local farm store has it. Going to ask/check about the flexible chamber rod. I have a Win 94.

It works well, you'll like it. Tipton makes one also. It is shorter and stiffer and has a T handle. I don't favor one over the other, they both do the job.

Yes on the Marlin. What do you do on a Winchester?
I don't really know about a Winchester. I've never owned one.

After watching a video on how to clean a Winchester......... I think I would use a bore snake. Lot more to take apart on the Winny than a Marlin.

we've always just run them from the front on the dirty thirty's and make sure we're using a soft rod (alum, brass) so if you do make contact you dont mess up the crown.

its effective as long as you're not trying to bull in a china shop clean the thing :)

Back