NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

the Originally Posted By: RossignolOriginally Posted By: TXCOONDOGPatterned a new Maverick 88 in 12 gauge today. I shot Rem and Federal #4 buckshot (both brands) with 27 (2 3/4")and 41 pellets (3") and (very consistant with all loads, you can hardly tell a difference) everything went well until 40yds.

Got a donut pattern 5-8" with a hole in the middle using a IC .720, M .712 and full .700 chokes. The tighter choke made the hole larger and the IC made it 2" smaller, but still a pefect hole.

None of these loads had buffer in them so I'm not sure if that will make a difference or not (going to test for grins). Almost like it is still over choked or the loads are too hot. Never patterned buckshot so maybe this is normal ?

Still shot great at 30yds or less though.

You mention both Remington and Federal loads. Are these the plated loads or just lead, for example the Federal plated is VitalShok and unplated is PowerShok. I don't know how much if any difference that would make though. I wouldn't think .720 would be over choked. I'm using a .720 in my 835 for 4 buck but the 835 begins with a 10 gauge bore diameter of .775 so the constriction is .055 vs your Maverick starting closer to .730.

Are these factory choke tubes? Are any ported? How fast are those loads you mentioned moving? If the chokes aren't ported, you may benefit somewhat from FliteControl or VersaTite loads. Federal makes 1 buck for sure in FliteControl and maybe 4 buck. My cylinder bore guns have benefitted greatly from 00 FliteControl.
Federal POWER SHOK- 2 3/4" 27 pellets @ 1325 FPS and 3" 41 pellets @ 1210 FPS.
Remington (Green/Yellow) - 2 3/4" 27 pellets @ 1325 FPS and 3" 41 pellets @ 1225 FPS

Factory modified (flush) and the other two are the Pro Factor F1(flush) chokes sold at Academy.

My over choked and too hot comments were examples of how it was acting.

Here is a pic of one of the targets shooting Rem 41 pellets at 40 yds using the IC choke:

The target has 1" squares so not horrible but this was the best of the patterns at 40yds.
Most of the pellets were closer to the perimeter of the other targets. When I used the full choke (did not matter which brand or load) majority were not even on paper.

There are a LOT more than 41 pellets on this target, I counted 45 pellets on the target. Did you shoot the target with all 4 shells listed above?

What kind of gun?

I have went through a flock of shotguns since the early 80's trying to find guns that pattern well.

Ones that don't pattern, go down the road. I do think that some guns will pattern large shot well, but not buckshot...I did not get into the details as to why.

Well I finally found the right combination which is Remington Express with the buckshot choke. The loads I tried out today were as follows;
Remington Express 3" 4 buck 41 pellets (buffered shot no wad)
Federal Power Shok 3" 4 buck 41 pellets (buffered shot with wad but not full length)
Winchester 3" 1 buck 24 pellets (buffered shot full length wad)
Choke is a new Carlson Buckshot choke tube and it is at .700
I am using a Remington 870 Express with a 26" barrel and the sights are the Tom Knapp Easy hit shotgun sight. Btw if you just use a bead you need to get that sight worlds of difference and only about $17. Anyways here are the results:
For reference I used my ladies slipper which is about 8 inches

Remington Express 3" 20 yards
IMG_20151130_203613_zpsidlhozjo.jpg

Remington Express 3" 40 yards. I pulled the first shot. about 20 pellets in a 10" by 10" square
Remington%2040%20yardss_zpsvhxjj7is.jpg

As you can see there are about 20 pellets in a 10" by 10" square
Remington%2040%20yards_zpsiyn6m0pz.jpg

Federal 3" Power Shok 20 yards

IMG_20151130_203629_zps9te1wgdi.jpg

Federal 3" power shok 40 yards
IMG_20151130_203708_zpsoeuiiuyv.jpg

Winchester 3" 1 buck 20 yards
IMG_20151130_203641_zpsahgcpnn4.jpg

Winchester 3" 1 buck 40 yards
IMG_20151130_203739_zpsbvccfgt3.jpg

Carlson Buckshot choke tube
IMG_20151130_203903_zps0cnlkmlq.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleyman There are a LOT more than 41 pellets on this target, I counted 45 pellets on the target. Did you shoot the target with all 4 shells listed above?

What kind of gun?

I cut open three of my Remington Express 3" 4 buck and they all had 44 pellets and not the listed 41. That was a few weeks ago. Thos could have 45 in there you never know.

FOX POISON:

Rem 870 Tactical
Kicks .670"
Remington Nitro 3" #2 lead
40 yards at a paper grocery bag life size fox target. This combo hammers foxes.

If it's a young dog and in the summer with a thin coat, then I say maybe 35 yds for effective kill.
Now if in the winter and a male dog with thick coat, then I wouldn't take the shot over 30 yds. or maybe even less at coyotes.

I would never use #2 shot myself, unless, I am in very close cover of 20 yrds or less.

Last edited:
If you ever find any Federal Heavyweight #2 shot waterfowl loads for $3.00 a shell or less buy them! They don't make these loads anymore but they are great coyote loads.

Federal Heavyweight shot is 35% denser than lead. The Federal Heavyweight #2 shot is very hard and very heavy for it's size so it doesn't slow down as fast as lead shot and it penetrates much deeper than lead shot and it breaks bones like crazy.

Originally Posted By: RossignolI like it. How far out is #2 shot effective? 40 yards is easy on foxes and bobcats. I have kills at 53 and 55 yards lasered.

After being away from this forum for a few years, I was stoked to see this thread still plugging away. Lots has changed since the start, I'm bummed that all of the good "alternative" heavy loads are discontinued. I don't have pictures but when I get some more shells, I'll post some up. I'm shooting the Federal Heavyweight Coyote load out of an SX3 with a Briley LM choke. I've only got one kill with it so far, but it really impressed me. I shot a big male at a lasered 55 yards. First shot through the lungs hit him hard, but he was still up. The second shot (with him facing away) broke a back leg in two places and dropped him hard. Patterning at 55 yards blew my mind. I haven't seen anything else come close. I'll order more of it (can't find any more in our junk stores in Utah) and post a concrete result.

The Federal Heavyweight Coyote BB loads will kill coyotes farther away than what we should shoot them at. I was lucky and found a place that was closing them out for right at $3.00 per shell.

The Federal Heavyweight BB loads I opened up had 62 pellets per 3" 12 ga shell so I would much rather shoot them at coyotes than the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote T shot loads that have 50 pellets per 3" 12 ga shell.

All of the Federal Heavyweight loads pattern very tight so a Light Mod or Mod choke may be all you need for a tight pattern.

I never got around to messing with my shotgun. I've read this entire thread. Unfortunately, I can't shoot lead and I'm also not paying $5 a shell for bismuth/tungsten. Bottom line, I'm shooting steel, it's not ideal I get it. I also have a cylinder bore gun, so my thought is to try some Federal black cloud 3" shells with the flight control wad and see how it patterns before I get the barrel threaded and buy some choke tubes. I can get 1 1/4oz BB at 1450fps, 1 1/8oz at 1650fps or 1 1/4oz BBB at 1450fps. Assuming the pattern is good, what kind of range am I looking at? I know that 3" 1 1/8oz steel T at 1550fps is available as well, but not with the flight control wad, so I'm sure I'd have to get a choke to shoot it. I'd be happy with 40yds?

Sounds like I should just go ahead and get my barrel threaded and start trying a few chokes to optimize the steel T shells instead of messing with the steel BB loads in the flight control wads.

I have a Kicks High Flyer Extra Full(It's only .710" which is the most Chuck at Kicks recommended) on the way and my barrel is getting sent off to be threaded today. The journey begins. I've read that steel generally patterns tighter than lead, but I'm really wondering if I should have at least gone with .700" which would be about factory full choke for my Mossberg.

I found a chart showing steel T shot with a muzzle velocity of 1300 fps has 10ft lbs per pellet at 50yds. That seems good enough assuming I can find a choke that will hold it together for the magic 5 pellet minimum. 10 hits on a paper plate at more than 10ft lbs each sounds like a crusher to me? It's just a matter of what range that's going to be achievable.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.Steel T shot has more energy out to 60yds than lead BB so you should easily be good to 40-45 or so.

There is no way that steel T shot out performs lead BB shot. Each of those pellets weigh the same and the steel T pellet is bigger. A larger pellet that weighs the same as a smaller pellet will not perform as good as the smaller pellet.

PelletCount1oz.jpg

Back