NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiWhat gun/setup are you shooting that out of Rich?
-------------------------
I shoot a Beretta Extrema2 with a Burris speed bead attached. Choke tube Is a Kicks BuckKicker .690.

Check out the below link for Win Xtended Range shotgun shells. There are many different loads in #2s, B & T shot. These shells are right at $20.00 less per box than Hevi-Shot loads. The shot density is 12g/cc just like Hevi-Shot.

http://www.lg-outdoors.com/products.asp?cat=12560

Here is some Win Xtended Range B shot it looks much better than Hevi-Shot does.

016-1.jpg

I bought a case of the 20 ga 3" #2 shot loads for my grandson to use in 5 or 6 years. I don't think these loads are still being made so get them while you can.

Originally Posted By: GCRich, I have not used the Flight Control Four Buck load. I have shot some of the turkey loads with the Flite Control. Finicky...

Where is the flight control in 4 buck? I been wanting that product to try for a while now but was unaware federal sold such a thing.

Never seen the Four Buck with the Flite Control wad. Federal loads 00 Buck and now No. 1 Buck with the Flite Control wad. I assumed from the conversation and without checking that Federal was also now loading the smaller No. Four Buck with the Flite Control wad. Thought it was a new loading that I am unaware of, though I just checked and don't see it listed by Federal in No. Four Buck.

I ain't buying it... I shot the heII out of that load in testing and it didn't perform anything like that.

Originally Posted By: GCNever seen the Four Buck with the Flite Control wad.

Hornady uses their "VersaTite" wad in their #4 buck Varmint load.
It's their version of the Flight Control wad.
I didn't have much luck with it through my old barrel.
I still have some left over. I may revisit the paper with it and my current barrel.
As for Federal Flight Control, my current barrel doesn't pattern the HeavyWeight Coyote BB as well as my old barrel, but it sure does well with that #1 buck load.

Originally Posted By: GCI ain't buying it... I shot the heII out of that load in testing and it didn't perform anything like that.

Get those high dollar chokes out of the tube and use a modified or improved cylinder.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66Originally Posted By: GCI ain't buying it... I shot the heII out of that load in testing and it didn't perform anything like that.

Get those high dollar chokes out of the tube and use a modified or improved cylinder.
smile.gif

------------------------------
I am still rather confused. I will watch the video again but I don't think the tester mentioned which choke he was using. Even if the load actually performs that well, I am not convinced that it would be a good coyote load. Why? A pattern the size of a grapefruit would require very precise aiming, and a coyote that stands still long enough to make the shot. May as well carry a rifle I think.

Originally Posted By: Rich CronkOriginally Posted By: CrazyHorse66Originally Posted By: GCI ain't buying it... I shot the heII out of that load in testing and it didn't perform anything like that.

smile.gif

------------------------------
I am still rather confused. I will watch the video again but I don't think the tester mentioned which choke he was using. Even if the load actually performs that well, I am not convinced that it would be a good coyote load. Why? A pattern the size of a grapefruit would require very precise aiming, and a coyote that stands still long enough to make the shot. May as well carry a rifle I think.

I agree Rich! A 6" pattern in not what I want for shooting coyotes.

I couldn't see what was happening on the patterns in the video at all.

Originally Posted By: Rich Cronk A pattern the size of a grapefruit would require very precise aiming, and a coyote that stands still long enough to make the shot. May as well carry a rifle I think.

Flight Control works best with little choke constriction.
The pattern spreads as distance increases.
At long range, the ability to penetrate becomes a limiting factor in killing efficiency.
More mass gives each pellet more potential for deeper penetration.

By using a larger pellet you increase the range that sufficient penetration can be achieved.
By using the Flight Control wad, you increase the distance that sufficient pattern density can be achieved.
The overall result is an increase in the effective range of the platform.

For people wanting to extend their shotgun range beyond traditional limitations, FC seems to be a step in the right direction.

I hope that clears up any confusion.

If you can get 15 rounds off with a rifle in a quarter of a second, on a moving coyote, and achieve a group of this size, for less than $.80, then use a rifle.

buckshot6.jpg

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbob A 6" pattern in not what I want for shooting coyotes.

I couldn't see what was happening on the patterns in the video at all.

The patterns were spreading as the distance increased, just like traditional shot/wad combinations.

The spread take place further down the flight path.

Between poor eyesight and alzheimer's, I have little hope of "un-confusing" any of you old timers.
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66Originally Posted By: GCI ain't buying it... I shot the heII out of that load in testing and it didn't perform anything like that.

smile.gif

LOL... Actually I did. I began my shooting with the factory flush fit chokes and shot the stuff through cylinder, improved cylinder, light modified, modified, improved modified and the full. Modified and Improved Modified were the two best performing constrictions by far for me and were pretty much identical in performance. The nine pellet pattern was about 8" - 10" at 25 yards.

I see that Black Gold Chokes is offering an extra extra tight turkey choke for the flight control wads. for my browning bps they offer a 660 and 670 choke. that is a restriction of 83% and 73%. Im not so sure Black Gold knows what they are doing.

Originally Posted By: 22catI see that Black Gold Chokes is offering an extra extra tight turkey choke for the flight control wads. for my browning bps they offer a 660 and 670 choke. that is a restriction of 83% and 73%. Im not so sure Black Gold knows what they are doing.
----------------------------
I agree, but then they are not the only choke company that don't.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: 22catI see that Black Gold Chokes is offering an extra extra tight turkey choke for the flight control wads. for my browning bps they offer a 660 and 670 choke. that is a restriction of 83% and 73%. Im not so sure Black Gold knows what they are doing.

What is the bore size of that BPS?

Back