Hi--

The term "ocular" is generally taken to mean any lens or combination
of lenses that you look into to view a display with. There are
simple oculars and complex multi-lens oculars, depending on the
features and performance needed.

The acronym "OLED" stands for Organic Light Emitting Diode which
is a fairly recent technological development. Display screens made
from a finely spaced matrix of OLEDS have started showing up in
cell phones, digital cameras and things like thermal scopes.
One of the advantages of an OLED display screen is that it requires
no backlighting such as LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) display screens
do which must have a backlight source. OLED displays, just as LCD
displays can be only 1/2" diagonal size or many inches across.
Because OLED display screens need no backlight, they require less
power than an LCD screen.

We will be testing all these units out in the field on some hogs and coyotes next weekend if weather permits, ah [beeep] even if the weather is crappy we'll test them out.

RS-32 1.25-5 320X240 19mm $ 3,999
RS-32 2.25-9 320X240 35mm $ 4,499
RS-32 4-16 320X340 60mm $ 7,499
RS-64 1.1-9 640X480 35mm $ 6,499
RS-64 2-16 640X480 60mm $ 8,999

Video and pics and reviews to follow....

drool.gif

That will help a lot actual in the field video.

Does the relief run right up to the eye piece like a monocular and other thermal scopes, or do you have to hold it away from your eye if you use as a monocular?

Originally Posted By: SkyPupWe will be testing all these units out in the field on some hogs and coyotes next weekend if weather permits, ah [beeep] even if the weather is crappy we'll test them out.

I did see in an earlier post that these are MSRP prices???

Does anybody pay MSRP, ever??

Originally Posted By: txyotewhackerDoes the relief run right up to the eye piece like a monocular and other thermal scopes, or do you have to hold it away from your eye if you use as a monocular?

They have up to 70mm eye relief.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupWe will be testing all these units out in the field on some hogs and coyotes next weekend if weather permits, ah [beeep] even if the weather is crappy we'll test them out.

I perfer to hunt in rainy weather so if you would test both ways, it would be appreciated.

Okay, we have been out in the woods using the new FLIR RS Thermal Weapon scopes for the last four day, so forgive me for not answering emails and PMs as we were up at 4AM hunting all day and home again at 2AM to butcher out the night kills. Running full bore on 2-3 hours of sleep per day or perhaps a nap during the afternoon in a stand tends to run you down some....[:)]

It was a difficult time with the weather as it was record heat here with 100% mono-thermal environmental temperatures due to the rain and fog and 100% humidity, making it difficult to use both NV & Thermal, but we scored good and all had a [beeep] good time. One night we had clear skies and was the best for using all the high-tech gear and it was put to best good use that night.

I think the funniest story was when we put Victor DiCosola of TNVC on a hog trail by himself with my SIG 556, FLIR T-70/ACOG and DBAL-D2 laser illuminator, two other groups were a 1/4 mile away from him and heard sounder groups of hogs approaching in the night through the thick inpenetrable swamps all around us. Vic had probably a 30 foot clear shooting range from dense underbrush in the hardwood hammock all around him sitting in a chair. He did not know the other groups had heard the hogs coming up out of the swamps into the hardwood hammock as he was alone in the woods. But the hogs bypassed our two other groups somehow and headed up the trial that we had Vic setup on.

He heard quite a bit of thrashing and grunting all around him and low and behold he was surrounded by a large sounder coming right in the trail on him, see eyes he scrambled to get into a shooting position, hoping that the hogs right near all around him would not charge him, one shot right between the eyes with a handloaded Barnes 70 grain TSX dropped a hog in it tracks and the sounder busted out through the woods scrambling all around him. Probably would have been much safer to have been in a tree stand next time!!! LOL

Angelo Brewer of FLIR Corporation brought six of the FLIR RS Thermal weapon scopes with him, we sighted them in at laser measured 50 yards on a handwarmer and were shootin 1/4-1/2 groups in two minutes after first putting the scopes on, the scopes are super easy to sight in, for accuracy I would recommend shooting at 200 yards for final dial in. Three hogs were taken down with both the FLIR RS64-60mm lens, the FLIR RS35-60mm and FLIR RS64-35mm. All worked very well under the extreme environmental conditions and were simple to setup and adjust. If you can use a FLIR PS-32 or LS-64, you can use one of these thermal instruments as they are very intuitive to use and functional to adjust in the night.

Here are some pics from our hunts:

FLIR RS64-60mm on my SIG 556:

SIG%20556%20FLIR%20RS64%20Hog%20Bones.jpg

Guns and FLIR Thermals in trunk:

Guns%20and%20Scopes%20Trunk.jpg

Rifles sighted in:

Guns%20and%20Scopes.jpg

My shooting range on power line at night through thermal:

FLIR%20M18%20View.jpg

Angelos' Noveske on his stand:

Angreo%20Noveske%20RS64.jpg

Angelos' first sow hog:

Anhelo%20Hog%20FLIR%20RS35.jpg

Nicks RS35-60mm hog @ 125 yards:

Nick%20Hog%20RS35.jpg

RS35-35mm hog at 125 yards:

FLIR%20RS35%20Hog.jpg

Vic on his stand after sunrise:

Vic%20Feeder.jpg

Group hog pic:

Group%20Hog%20Pic.jpg

Vic with ANVIS and his nice tusker:

Vic%20Hog%20Tailgate.jpg

Finishing up dressing out the hogs:

Dressing%20Hog%20In%20Barn.jpg

More to come on the use and performance of the FLIR RS scopes later, stay tuned....

Sweet deal and Even though Vic wasn't in a stand, the chair on the ground is much more comfy.......then again, there is no view compared to being 20 ft up.

Thanks for the update.

Originally Posted By: SkyPuphttp://flir.com/thermoSightR-Series/rangeTest.html

Hi Skypup, thanks for all the effort you're putting in to review these glass for us.

After looking at the range photos you took in the above link, I do believe you have made one mistake though:

The photos show 2 categories of 640x480 w/ 60mm lens, one always at 1x zoom and the other always at 2x zoom.

That cannot be right according to the specs at tnvc and flir, as the 640x480 w/ 60mm lens only has 2x-16x zoom.

It starts off on the low end at 2x, yet in your pictures it shows 1x zoom, how is that possible?

Bobtasco, in those photos of the RS64-60mm 640X512 core with 60mm lens, the 1X is unity for the unit which is stock 2X digital, when it says 2X in the photo, it is 4X digital or unity X 2, sorry for the confusion.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupBobtasco, in those photos of the RS64-60mm 640X512 core with 60mm lens, the 1X is unity for the unit which is stock 2X digital, when it says 2X in the photo, it is 4X digital or unity X 2, sorry for the confusion.

Okay, so you're saying the photo labeled 640 w/ 60mm lens 1X is actually showing a 2x zoom; and the photo labeled 640 w/ 60mm lens 2x is actually showing a 4x zoom?

And I thought the RS64 has a core of 640x480, since when did it become 640x512?

This is extremely interesting, as I have one on order.
I'd love to see pics/video of the sepia and iron palettes, as well as a simplified explanation of the differences in array (320 vs 640) and Hz (30 vs 60) as they pertain to image quality.
Also, can you explain the magnification? Does 1x is unity mean its a 1x detection sensitivity, digitally magnified? Do the different lenses change the base detection sensitivity/magnification which is subsequently digitally zoomed?
Surely someone used the video out feature and can show us additional hunt footage of the units in use?
Thx

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Loggers InnAnd I was wondering how it would be height wise with the dbal's. See u gotta side mount them.

Clears DBALs with no problem, I just happen to have that one zeroed for my Leopold Pig Plex scope on the side....

Back