NEW FLIR ThermoSight RS

DDE FLIR Video.

This was a great vid user Hard_Ware found from FLIR talking about the DDE system. They kept it simple on showing what it does.

Enjoy.

Vic

Originally Posted By: SkyPup
Sixty%20Yard%20Pigs%20No%20Zoom%20640%2035mm%20lens.jpg

Sixty%20Yard%20Pigs%202X%20%20Zoom%20640%2035mm%20lens.jpg
I was reading your pic and it said 35mm lens, thought you may have purchased this specific 1

No, this is from a prototype used on a hunt prior to the Shot Show public release of these units, I do not have one yet, but when I do, it will be a 60mm lens version...

Would a fella may be better off puttin a lil more $ out and goin T-50, but you can only go 4x? And the new RS goes 8x if im understanding the specs? So which is gonna be the better of the 2 comparing apples and oranges?

The T-50 is a mil-spec proven 320 core (25 micron microbolometer) 60mm lens clip-on, it will be pretty similar to the 320 core (17 micron microbolometer) 60mm RS dedicated scope, they both are unpixelated up to 4X but both start to get pixelated above about 6X. They both will target anything out to 300 yards at 4X and detect out almost twice that, due to the smaller sized pixel array in the RS it will be a little bit better than the older larger sized array in the T-50.

Any 320 core with a 60mm lens is going to work very very good and cover 90% of any night hunting applications out to 300 yards...

Jager Pro and FLIR teamed up together on working up the RS Thermal scope prototypes, here is a nice professional explanatory video from them:

Would you say the RS series obsoletes the PS series? My thinking is that why by a LS64 when you can buy an RS64 for just a little more? You then get a viewer and a scope in one for about the same cost.

Make sense?

Originally Posted By: BullspringsWould you say the RS series obsoletes the PS series? My thinking is that why by a LS64 when you can buy an RS64 for just a little more? You then get a viewer and a scope in one for about the same cost.

Make sense?

Sure, why not? Except it is always good to have one on your weapon for shooting and the other in your hand for scanning.

This may be a real dumb question. But, what is the practical difference between a lens ocular and an OLED?

I am confused why it would matter?

P.S. I have a MLS-618 with the OLED.

It has three ocular glass lenses focused on an internal OLED of the microbolometer, instead of just a simple final LED screen for viewing like your MLS-18 does.

Not only is this much better optics than a single lens system like on a PVS-14, but it also is designed to allow for extended eye relief, as in when using with a 7.62mm rifle that has some kick to it....

Thanks. So the RS series would actually be better for viewing than an LS or PS series device?

Can you put your eye directly up to the RS series like the LS/PS to reduce backsplash of light giving you away?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: robertjay53I contacted FLIR on Facebook and these should be available June 2014.

60mm will be May/June..The rest, VERY soon.
smile.gif

Vic

Has anyone noticed that the newly announced FLIR RS
("Hunter-Grade") thermo-sight is rather large and
heavy...? Yes, I know... Compared to what?

Specifically, the specs say the RS64 with the 60mm lens
weighs 2.4 lb and is 8.5" long X 3.3" X 2.9".

For comparison, the spec sheet for the LS64 hand-held
viewer says: 0.75 lb and 6.8" long X 2.3" wide X 2.4" high.
----------------------------------------

I understand the reasons for the length of the RS64
and that some additional weight might be necessary
over the LS64, but an additional 1.65 pounds heavier
and a full inch wider...? Some of the additional
length is due to the objective lens being deeply
recessed to protect it (which is a good thing) and
the rail mount adds some additional needed height.

Still, as neato-keeno as the thermal rifle scopes such
as the FLIR T70 are, the size and weight is a bit
discouraging for me.

I guess I will have to attach a bunch of helium-filled
balloons to the rifle to keep the weight down...!

Now that I have thought about the RS-64 objective lens
being protectively recessed, I am considering adding an
extra 1/2" of collar depth on the front of my LS64
to provide a little extra protection against scratching
or being damaged.

My only other thought about the LS64 is that FLIR should
have provided a better quality lens cap with a decent
tether. A $5K+ thermal viewer should come with something
better than a 39-cent lens cap.

Mike B

Originally Posted By: Micanopy MikeStill, as neato-keeno as the thermal rifle scopes such
as the FLIR T70 are, the size and weight is a bit
discouraging for me.

Mike...

I use the FLIR T70 for hog hunting and even though it is a little heavy you just have to figure out what works for you. I use a single point sling and brace my rifle butt against my left hip and hold a monopod in the same hand. This frees up my right hand for scanning with the FLIR PS32 when stalking hogs. I run mine with an Eotech and 3x magnifier.

When I get in a position I want to shoot from I turn the FLIR PS32 off and then set my rifle on the monopod and turn on the T70. It sounds like a lot of motion but on dark nights I have no problem shooting hogs. That includes a full 15 round mag in my 6.8 SPC.

This is the monopod I use and it works great.

http://www.primos.com/products/trigger-sticks/tall-mono-pod-3/

KJ7E6zG.jpg

Between the RS64 35mm and 60mm models what are the advantages of taking the 60 over the 35mm? Will the the added digital magnification available with the 60mm be worth the added cost when resolution is lost going up in magnification?

Here is a graph of the FLIR Tau 2 640 17 micron thermal core (thanks to Hardware), the 320 core will be 1/4 the range of the 640:

tau-640-dri.jpg

This should help you to make a decision on which FLIR RS thermal scope version is right for you.

Back