Need new boots

10 years ago I bought the 240$ Irish Setter insulated boots(Redwing). The first pair leaked like crazy, took them back he got me another pair, same thing. For that kind of money they should not leak for a couple years.T.20

Wolverines or Danners in my opinion. I have a pair of Herman Survivers [steel toe] for work, & they're ok. Don't know about their hunting boots though. But, I love my Wolverine insulated "wellingtons"!

I went through lots and lots of boots when I worked for the railroad(28years)... track ballast(rock)is super hard on boots and ankles, too. My favorite boots ever were a pair of Georgia boots, second best were Danner.
The Georgia's were a bear to break in but lastest almost 8yrs! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Nothing else lasted that long... even the Danner's, they wore out in a couple of years. Went through lots of Danner's... good boots! Best part was I got to take them off my taxes! LOL

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I have a pair of Danner Raptor boots that I have been wearing for 7 years and they are still in good shape. I will buy another pair of Danners when I go buy new boots. Danners are the cats a$$. They are not cheap but they hold up great. I wear mine all winter long and have put alot of miles on them. DANNERS MADE IN USA! Great boots. Ron

Quote:
I'd go barefoot before I would give rockies another dime my votes for danner

The way that Rocky boots fall apart, you'd be barefoot whether you bought them or not. LOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif MI VHNTR

I had a pair of Rockies, Hi-Tech's, Wolverine, Justin's, Red Wing, Columbias, and so many pairs of rubber boots that I just can't count. That is until I discovered Danner's and Muck. Now they are all I wear (trying a pair of 5.11). I am always looking out for better gear, but have yet to find anything like these Danners. I have 4 pairs of Danners, and another on the way.

My first pair of rockies lasted for ten years before I replaced them with another pair that are now three years old and like new.

I'd have to say that the one pair of Rocky boots I bought may quite possibly be the worst money I ever spent on a hunting related item. I like the Danner pronghorns, as a matter of fact I have three new pairs stashed in the closet just in case they quit making them.

Jbordy

I really don’t know where you hunt. If the environment is consistently wet and marshy ignore my suggestion. Now if your climate is a four season. The best American made boots are Whites or Nicks. Both are located in Spokane Wa. However you will have to measure your foot. Also forget the notion that you can make leather waterproof. It just isn’t going to happen. I run three different types of boots (rubbers, leather and pack).

I have a pair of Asolo FSN 95's that are the most comfortable pair of boots ever, They were broke in on 36 mles of Grand Teton Trails, never missed a lick. Vasque and Danner are tops with Asolo, if you want a pure outdoor boot, cant get em in cammo though

I wouldn't walk across the street in a new pair of Rockies the old ones were great, the new pair I bought didn't last 2 weeks before the soles started coming apart. I have had really good luck with Lacross boots. Danners are great but the guy on the tv commercial telling me I'm stupid because I don't wear them really ticks me off! Whoever the marketing genius was that figured that one out needs to go flip burgers somewhere safe. The last pair of Browning feather weights I bought were made in china I didn't notice it until I had already worn them, they turned out ok except for that. Just my humble opinion!

Just bought a pair of Danner Pronghorn boots from Cabela's. Guess I should have looked a bit closer because on the inside tag they say "Made in China". Guess my $150 boots were not "high end" enough too be made in the USA. I have not even walked a mile in them yet and already am starting too not like them. Hope they prove me wrong but my next pair proably won't be Danners.

Mahamari

A couple of years ago Danner "branched out", probably to compete with Rocky for the more inexpensive boot market. There are still American made Danners, usually the ones with the stiched down soles. And the higher price tag. Meindl is another good option, probably a better boot, and one I will explore if Danner keeps going Asian.

Mahamari, don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I bought the same boot at Bass Pro and now I almost feel like I got a hosin'. I have only been wearing mine in the house and on the treadmill trying to work them in a little bit and now am tempted to return them. I don't know what else to buy.

They are still a quality product. Don't feel bad, unless you SPECIFICALLY bought the Danner brand because most of them are made in the USA.

You have to be a wise buyer these days. I got my daily wear danners(USA) five years ago at Danner for $205. They still look very good but they were dropping that style so I picked up a spare pair at Cabela's for $125. Lucky. A friend has gone through 3 pair of Red Wings in six months and since worn the soles some on Danners(China). He is going to return them for Danners (USA) with the better Vibram soles.

My Danners just keep getting better and I've hunted in them for several years now. I owned a pair of Lacrosse that I absolutely loved, but they only lasted one season. However, they are priced reasonably enough, that I will not hesitate to buy another pair. For comfort, I choose Lacrosse, for quality and lasting performance, I vote for Danners.

Don't think about it, just by Danner...To me there are no other boots out there. I have 4 pair. 1 of which they claim is not waterproof and I have never gotten my feet wet in them...Danners will keep your feet dry and warm.

And for Rockies...The only way they will keep you dry and warm is to throw them into the camp fire.

Back