Morons behind the Gun Counter

I have had people answer the phone who when I asked if they had lets say a Remington 700 in 223 asked me what gauge that was...kinda feel sorry for them as they are just earning a living anyway they can, they dont know squat about guns or anything..they are just paid to answer the phone.

About a year ago I was at the local Mountain store looking around. Wanted to handle one of the guns and there was a guy and his 10-12yr old son there looking at rifles. There was a salesman helping him. They were looking for a rifle to mostly yote hunt with but maybe do some deerhunting with. The customer asked about a 243 for his son to start out with and the salesman proceeded to tell him that it would be a waist of money that it would beat the kid up and would destroy the pelt. If he wanted a gun for his kid that wouldn't beat him up he needed to go with a gun in the 30cal range. The customer asked what he meant. The salesman said the larger the number the less it kicked and the smaller the hole. I looked over and said really? Then the salesman proceeded to explain himself. Another salesman comes up and helps me. When I left the father and son were doing the paperwork on a brand new remington in 30-06. I feel for the kid.

Yes the world is full of idiots. You are more likely to find an idiot behind the counter at a chain store.

My Walmart has idiots behind the counter at the gun area. They also have a guy who knows a little. It doesn't make any difference, because these guys aren't in control of anything. Yes, they stock items that are illegal to use. Yes, they put their shotgun shells on clearance and run out of them right before spring goose season, and no they don't order any more till fall. All these decisions are being made by people hundreds of miles away in a cubicles, who are probably anti-gun bean counters.

I try not to buy stuff from Walmart. They don't know anything and don't care. I'd rather support the local guys who do, or rather, I wish such people existed in my neck of the woods.

I figure an idiot behind the counter reflects a lot more on the store and management than it does on the guy that accepted the job. I see a lot more idiots on the customer side, personally.
We're lucky here, the 2 or 3 guys that know what they're doing seem to stick around. I bet it's a pretty frustrating job, at times, from some of the questions I've heard customers ask.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: who me?Yes the world is full of idiots. You are more likely to find an idiot behind the counter at a chain store.

My Walmart has idiots behind the counter at the gun area. They also have a guy who knows a little. It doesn't make any difference, because these guys aren't in control of anything. Yes, they stock items that are illegal to use.

What do they sell thats illegal?

yep heard many a story about the same things as in this thread over and over...just today i was in at wally world...now my wife works at our walmart here but in the customer service area...you should hear the stories she has about people returning stuff its a riot...anyways...i went back to the gun counter to get some shooting sandbags which is really all i wanted...well i always look at the ammo since they never have anything...well they had some...they had 3 Win White Box of 45gr JHP for the 22-250 i am getting..well wanted to get some facotry ammo to sight it in and so on while im workin on loads for it...so i walk around to find someone..nope...go over to the electronics counter and ask if they can page someone to the sporting goods...sure she says...so i walk back and here somes this young gal...she asks me what i need and i tell her i need the 2 boxes of Winchester Whitebox ammo for a 22-250 and point to it...she went through 3 rows of everything but what i wanted pointing at this one and that one ranging from 30-30 to 7mm mag...with me telling here each time..."no the one to your left in the white square box right there"
some times i feel sorry for them

[/quote] What do they sell thats illegal? [/quote]

I was at my local sportsmans warehouse one day when I say a guy carry a scope mounted Predator light system up to the counter and purchase it. After He left I said, to the counter guy; "Do you think he knows it is illegal to use artifical light at night to hunt (anything) in the state of Kansas". The counter guy had no idea, he said why would they sell them if it's illegal? I said thats a good question, why did you sell it to him? I think that stores clerks should, if not knowing anything about guns, ammo, or general use of said items, should at very least be forced to take a quick orientation on the state regulations.

No I heard them talking about the Video they had just watched and how they were gonna be killing dogs left and right that night. The point is they should not be for sale in a state where they are Illegal...

Last edited:
Had a couple of these in Dallas a few years ago while I was gun shopping - one at a Dicks' Sporting Goods and the other at Academy.

I told this joker at Academy that I was looking for a .22-250 and he told me that the only double-barrelled guns he had were ones with .22's and shotgun barrels. He says, "we've got .22's and we've got .250's, but no .22-250's." I didn't have the heart to tell him the error of his ways.

I also had a salesman tell me while showing me a cheap Rossi single shot/scope package as I was looking through the scope - "yeah, that's where you aim. It's got the little lines and everything."

Thanks, Beavis.

Originally Posted By: MPFDNo I heard them talking about the Video they had just watched and how they were gonna be killing dogs left and right that night. The point is they should not be for sale in a state where they are Illegal...

Ummmm, To me this is like saying Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, Bass Pro, Dicks, APC, NiteLite or any of the other numerous places this Kansas resident could order a predator hunting light from should not let him order/buy one from their on-line store because he lives in a state where it's not legal to hunt predators at night?

The point is it is not a stores responsibility to police it's customers and inform them of the hunting regulations that the customer SHOULD be well aware of in the first place. Should a store not stock or sale any shotgun shells loaded with lead shot because only steel shot is allowed for waterfowl and the customer/buyer MIGHT use the lead shells in a no lead area?

What about the night hunting video they watched? Should it have been illegal to sale or view in the state of Kansas?

Sorry, but your way of thinking on this makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
If you have ever read postings online they usually give a disclaimer telling the buyer to make sure that their local regulations allow use of items in question. If they are going to put reminders on their websites they sould also carry the same policy in stores. If I have to give two forms of ID and sign a waver to buy sudafed, I think that the least someone could do is give an unknowing customer a quick heads up before they get busted using a night light and possibly lose their gun, and their hunting license for life. Do I think they should be responsible and look up regs before hand? Yes. But, If walked into a store and saw an item for sale I would suspose that I should be able to use that item in the area where I bought it.

So by your logic gun stores in California should be able to sell AR15 and people should be able to buy AR15's but if they shoot them they should be sent to jail, for possesing Illegal firearms?

Last edited:
Hunting and shooting are rights we have, but they also are privileges that can be taken away from us if we violate the various laws regulating them.

Because of that, it falls to each individual who participates to be responsible and aware of the rules of the game they are playing.

That's not why stores exist.....stores sell what is legal to sell in a given area. Use of the item falls to the individual.

Logic that says the store should advise you of any legal implications from using an item legally sold by them reeks of big government. Its time in this country for personal responsibility to come into play for what you do, say, and even buy, perhaps......

JMO - BCB

Originally Posted By: MPFDSo by your logic gun stores in California should be able to sell AR15 and people should be able to buy AR15's but if they shoot them they should be sent to jail, for possesing Illegal firearms?

By my logic, yes, gun stores in CA should be able to sell AR15 rifles.

By my logic, if it is illegal for a person in the state of CA to possess an AR15 rifle, with the penalty for doing so being jail time, then yes, dumbazz, ignorant, stupid, law breaking person should do the time if they possess an AR15.

By my logic, the person buying the light in Kansas should have every [beeep] right in the world to buy that light if he has the money and wishes to buy it.

By my logic, if the Kansas guy is dumb enough, stupid enough, ignorant enough to go out at night and use that light without checking regulations, then he needs fined, jailed or whatever the state of Kansas does with law breaking folks such as him.

By my logic, ignorance ain't bliss. It's really just ignorance.

My logic has flaws at times. But not this time.

I also wonder why you didn't say something to the buyer of the light?

Thats whats great about this country of ours, we are each entitled to our own opinions, and are allowed to voice them in public. Thanks for your input. Hunting predators at night is not illegal in Kansas just the use of artifical light, while doing so. It is also legal to shoot coyotes from a vehical on the road (if you have permission from the land owners on both sides). I feel like stores in areas where certain items are illegal should not sell those items. Thats my opinion. Marijuana is legal to possess in parts of Colorado, But I don't think stores in those areas should sell it. Thats what great about America, we are all entitled to our own opinions...

Last edited:
the only ones w/ any smarts r gonna be the old ones that got tired of sitting around retired.no one else(that knows what there talking about) is going 2 work 4 $9 an hour. I make a preaty good livin' but i would definitly take a pay cut and work at sportsmans if they would pay me $18-$20 an hour.A/C and talkin' huntin'(the only thing i know besides tinnin') all day! sign me up!

Originally Posted By: MPFDThats whats great about this country of ours, we are each entitled to our own opinions, and are allowed to voice them in public. Thanks for your input. Hunting predators at night is not illegal in Kansas just the use of artifical light, while doing so. It is also legal to shoot coyotes from a vehical on the road (if you have permission from the land owners on both sides). I feel like stores in areas where certain items are illegal should not sell those items. Thats my opinion. Marijuana is legal to possess in parts of Colorado, But I don't think stores in those areas should sell it. Thats what great about America, we are all entitled to our own opinions...

First off, I'm glad to see you edited your post and removed the liberal state comment you orginally closed with. Where someone lives has nothing to do with rights, privileges and responsibilities.

Also, I'm glad that, "It is also legal to shoot coyotes from a vehical on the road (if you have permission from the land owners on both sides)."

Without that law in place, you might have to a abolish the sale of cars in Kansas using your logic.

-BCB

Also, I'm glad that, "It is also legal to shoot coyotes from a vehical on the road (if you have permission from the land owners on both sides)."

Without that law in place, you might have to a abolish the sale of cars in Kansas using your logic.

-BCB

Exactly how does that play into anything that was said? I'm not going to argue with you cause I've read enough posts on this site to now that is what you live for. I have my opinions and you are not gonna change them. Yes, I believe Colorado is a liberal state, ask anyone who lives there in a rural area how much they like all the hippies, and yuppies from California moving to Colorado and creating emission laws or "moving" praire dog towns out into eastern Colorado instead of dealing with them on the front range, It's a $50 misdemeanor if you get caught with less then an ounce of pot in Denver. I would call that a pretty liberal place. Enjoy the rest of your afternoon fella's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MPFD

-BCB

Exactly how does that play into anything that was said? I'm not going to argue with you cause I've read enough posts on this site to now that is what you life for. I have my opinions and you are not gonna change them. Yes, I believe Colorado is a liberal state, ask anyone who lives there in a rural area how much they like all the hippies, and yuppies from California moving to Colorado and creating emission laws or "moving" praire dog towns out into eastern Colorado instead of dealing with them on the front range, It's a $50 misdemeanor if you get caught with less then an ounce of pot in Denver. I would call that a pretty liberal place. Enjoy the rest of your afternoon fella's.

I wasn't looking for a fight and I certainly wouldn't want to even try to change your opinions. I could care less..

I was just trying to explain your logic back to you in your terms concerning Kansas law allowing you to shoot out of vehicles.. You can't shoot out of vehicles in Texas, but we can still buy vehicles here.

Again, personal responsibility is what's really involved... Not the car, nor the light....

And I'm not at all surprised that you failed to see how what I said about cars "might play into anything that was said?"

-BCB

We can't shoot out of vehicles here either.

Can't shoot hippies and yuppies. Prairie dogs are good to go. Not out of vehicles though.

What is this marijuana you speak of? I can possess this stuff? I better check that out. I don't wanna be accussed of being ignorant.

Back