FrankenAR

d554935e.jpg

Rem 788 22-250

IMG_20141004_155433_zpse88c5ccb.jpg

10.5" Core15 on NFA Nevada Battle Born lower

IMG_20150307_193753_493_zpszegvytzz.jpg

Originally Posted By: Yellowhammer Quote:
DarkPDandRifle--small_zps02acc407.jpg

Silverfox- what is that on the top of your barrel?

I've been wondering this for years too?

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSOriginally Posted By: Yellowhammer Quote:

I think it's for the thermal waves you see in scopes..

Jason

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSOriginally Posted By: Yellowhammer Quote:

I bet it stops the heat mirage from the barrel and suppressor.

Originally Posted By: Yellowhammer Quote:

Yep a lot of BR guys use them, to keep the mirage down when the barrel heats up.

I'm officially in the club now, hallelujah!!!!
Now I can smell a blackout in the future.
It's never enough is it.
image_zpsjtna009k.jpg

223 setup:
IR Defense MK II 19mm
Liberty "Constitution" can
WOA 16" barrel
Geissele handguard
Fox grip

Last edited:
IMG_0723_zpsb5frjham.jpg
[/URL]

6mm Fat Rat AR with TBAC 30p-1. 20" 1 in 10 Kreiger barrel with Geiselle SSA-E trigger and YHM hand guard. Waiting for the Nightforce SHV scope and this will become my new night hunting rig

Kevin

Yellowhammer--I apologize for not answering your query sooner, but I have been on a 6-week vacation down in Yuma and just got back about a week ago. I have been busy catching up on mail we had held, getting my income taxes done, and some honey-dos. I know, "give you reasons and not excuses," but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Bouncing_Grin.gif

Anyway, several posters already answered the question, but YES, that is a mirage shield. This one is made from aluminum and I use Velcro hook material on the barrel and the Velcro loop material on the underside of the shield. The suppressor gets extremely hot and does cause big-time mirage problems. The sun can also cause the barrel and/or suppressor to get quite warm, so the shield keeps the sun off the barrel and helps keep the mirage waves out of you line of sight through the scope.

I actually have the shield on upside down according to the "experts". The "experts" advise you to put the convex side toward the barrel and the concave side up. They recommend that because that way the shield directs the heat sideways and away from the sight line of the scope, while using it the other way the heat waves are supposedly blocked from getting away from the barrel and can "sneak" around the edges of the shield and get into the sight line of the scope.

Sorry for the crappy background. I'm gonna try to find some time to take them out for a proper family photo in the next couple weeks.

Some of my quiet setups. From 338 to 22 and 9mm:

Back