Knives and blades forum??

I have bought and sold quite a few of the Moore Maker knives. At one time I ordered a stockman pattern directly from the Moore Maker website and after it arrived upon inspection decided I didn't like it. I called them up and asked about returning the knife. Whoever I spoke with told me to hang on to it and they would send me three more to hand pick from and after I decided which ones to send back I could package them all together and that would save me some time and trouble. They were good to their word too. Three Moore Maker Stockmen arrived a few days later and I picked out what I felt was the best and sent the rest back. That is pretty unusual business practices in today's world, though that was some years back.

Yes that is unusually nice. Good to hear also. I do not know that much about Moore Maker, but my assumption is that they do not actually mfg. knives, they just sell "contract" knives....

That's pretty amzing service GC. I never said they weren't a reputable company, and your experience proves that they definatly are. I was simply dissapointed in the ONE that I bought. Enough so that it soured me on em.
I've since learned that the MM's with the "B" at the end of the serial #'s (like mine
frown.gif
) are the worst of the lot and the one's from Queen are the best, but like Ken, I'm far from an authority on em.

On the other hand, 2MG's assesment of GEC's over achiever back springs is true where my little 25 is concerned. Seems that their shorter knives are prone to the problem. Mine's a real nail breaker and actually dangerous when closing if ya aren't paying attention. Still, I'd rather have a knife that's hard to open than one that closes up without warning, so I've gotten used to her. Maybe it'll "wear in" in another 25 or so years.

I also like the old carbon Schrades and agree that the Chinaland crap ain't worth any more than the bubble wrap packaging they come in. Heck, that dang bubble wrap's more likely to cut ya than the knife is.
grin.gif

I just checked my MM knife and it has the "B" suffix. It is nothing special, about the equivalent of a Case Sodbuster only with a lockback and a clip point.

I have a ram's horn Tidioute(GEC)that is terribly hard to open and I think it would stand a good chance of taking your finger tip completely off upon closing. GEC is known for their strong backsprings, but some are ridiculous.

I can't say enough what a POS the new Schrade knives are. I just about threw mine in the trash can when I went to sharpen it, and I consider myself pretty darn good at putting an edge on things. I can't even imagine a novice trying to sharpen one, but it would be a pretty ugly scene methinks......

Originally Posted By: 2muchgun GEC is known for their strong backsprings, but some are ridiculous.

Agreed.
I read recently that they've started making their shorter knives with a narrower back spring on the pen blades due to the smaller blades being virtually impossible to open and dangerous to close once ya actually do get em open. LOL
GEC's not perfect I guess, but they still make a fine knife IMO. I'm especially like the fact that they're one of the last to offer Carbon Steel blades.

Bettcha the MM's made by Queen are allot better than the one I have. From what little I've learned over the years, the upper end knives Queen makes under contract (like my beloved Indian River Jack) are about as good as it gets. I also have a Queen made Schatt&Morgan small Muskrat pattern that's one of the best F&F knives I've ever seen. The steel's harder than hadies, but what a nice little knife!
Here's a crappy pic of it along with a little Puma lock back. Puma's another good'un that's often overlooked. Some of the best steel ever, even if it isn't carbon.
Picture010.jpg

Nice knives. You have some good stuff.

My thoughts are kind of that: SS knives are for people who like to look at them, and CS knives are for people who actually use them. Although I admit, that does sound a little "extreme", as I have plenty of SS blades that I use.

The Schatt & Morgan division of Queen is kinda like their "factory custom shop". They make nice stuff. I have a bunch of Queen made Winchester knives, a Colonel Coon, as well as several older Queen blades. They all will take a wicked edge.

Queen actually still operates out of the old Schatt and Morgan factory. The guys who started Queen were actually former S&M employees who got fired for making/selling their own brand of knives while still working for S&M. Rumor has it that they were using S&M materials and possibly even making them right in the S&M plant. After S&M closed it's doors, Queen bought the factory, reopened it, and even hired the president from S&M who then went to work for the very guys he "let go".

I have an original S&M knife. Would like to find another.

One of the coolest things about knife collecting is the history involved......

I'm also a fan of Schatt & Morgan knives. Puma used to be good, but IIRC weren't they sold a few years back and the latest versions have some cheap blade steel and the quality has taken a big downward step in recent years?

I think Puma still makes some quality knives, but has also infiltrated some cheap chinkwanese knives into their lineup like many makers have been forced to do........

Thanks
I'm fortunate in that many (to many actually) years ago I made a deal with my daughter to give me pocket knives instead of ties for Christmas, and it kinda morphed into a tradition that lives on 40+ years later. She's allot smarter'n me too so she's become pretty well versed in quality knives over the years.
Lucky me, huh?

Not sure about the newer Puma's but it wouldn't surprise me if they haven't slipped some chinaland crap in there. I know some of the great old European axe makers have stooped to those depths..
The only Puma I have was gifted to me about 15yrs ago. It's real nice steel though, and for some reason the nickel/silver bolsters seem to have a higher than normal percentage of silver because they tarnish easily. I think you can see that in the pic. I like the look though, so I seldom polish it.

How's that Colonel Coon? I thought about getting one for no other good reason than to have it after reading the history of em. Like you said, some of the history's as good as the knives them selves.

I'll take pocket knives over ties all day long
thumbup.gif

I was just thinking, I have a Marbles whittler that I believe was made by the S&M division also, as was the Colonel Coon.

The CC is not what you would call an original CC, as in it was not one of Adrian Harris' knives. That said, it is a very nice knife. Great looking and fit and finish are really good. Matter of fact, I think it is one of the nicest looking pocket knives I own.

I will have to take some knife pics. I have a lot of them. I think 150 would be a conservative estimate.

Speaking of daughters, I have to take mine to all-star practice(softball) now. Our tournament starts tomorrow and I am a coach.......

That is a good looking knife. I have seen several JL in my day. Always nice.

I will take some pics of some blades and post them up, I am LONG overdue........

yea johns knives arent prefect but they are sure good using knives and the price is good for guys that cant afford a 400 dollar slip joint, i got another one here in ivory thats a super nice knife, i'll try to get some pics of it

i traded some fixed blades i made for 5 lloyds, i think the asking on this one was 175.00, i got 4 others here with different handles, i'll try to get pics of them, i got one with mammoth that is out of this world

2muchgun here you go, these are all lloyd's that i traded for, if you see anything that catches your eye pm me, i cant keep all of them, ha

IMG_6825.jpg

IMG_6826.jpg

Very nice knives everyone. I only have one good set and its a Mccroskey trapperman set. Havent even had a chance to use them yet. Got a shrade old timer made in usa, a couple gerbers and a few old knives my granfather had that need to be cleaned as they sat in his attack or closet for who knows how long. Anyone clean up and resharpens knive's? There of no value other than setimental to me but would be nice to have done

Back