Knives and blades forum??

LOL... should have known you'd have the "word." They are super knives for sure, not inexpensive, but their quality is top shelf.
thumbup.gif

The best set I've ever owned was a set of whit bone handled Knives of Alaska. It came with I skinner and a caping blade. That was stolen out of my truck with my Ruger 22 mag revolver with interchangeable LR cylinder(that the thieves were kind enough to leave on the pavement) about 3 years ago. I mostly stick to KaBar now days. I do have a Ken Onion that I constantly cut myself with lol.

Onions must hurt in an open wound
grin.gif

I gave my good bud my KOA Alpha Wolf in S30V just because he hooked me up with a spot where I took a nice buck and because he is too cheap to buy one. He has been using the same Buck knife for years and years. That KOA cuts really well.....

Originally Posted By: rpc55
this mini Grip with D2 blade is carried everyday

Photo190.jpg

You must baby that thing... Looks brand new for a EDC. You should see my mini grip, far from new.

I think a knife section would be nice. I'll post a pic or two when I get time.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI know where there is a GEC #26 new for $50 shipped but i aint tellin'
tt2.gif

Depending on who you told may help get that knife forum up and running.
grin.gif

Man, if you have over fifty of those, I've got a feeling you might just part with one or two if a knife and blade forum started up, and if someone wanted to part with a few bucks. It would take more than one lifetime to wear out fifty American made Shrade Drop Point Sharpfingers. I never really knew people liked that knife as much as me. I skinned quite a few fox, mink and muskrat with that knife. I used to have another really good Schrade. It was a four and a half inch lockblade, but can't remember the name of it. Maybe you do. It was guaranteed for life, even against loss. If it was insured against stupidity, I would have me a new one. An older Italian friend of mine made shoes, and also sharpened shears on the side. He told me one day that he would sharpen my nice Schrade lock blade for me no charge on his buffer wheel. I'm sure you know now what I didn't know then. You can't sharpen nice knives, especially hollow ground ones on a buffer wheel. I got the knife back not as sharp as I gave it to him, and with one side of the blade ground way down. In fact the tip broke off right after that, and I threw the knife away. Maybe Schrade would have covered it if I told them the story, but I knew it was my fault, and never checked with them. I didn't have the money to buy another one. That was one sweet knife, too: like a Buck knife only better. If I knew what it was called I would probably do a search to see if one was for sale somewhere. I have a little (maybe around 2") Schrade jacknife still in a box, too. My Mom had it when she passed away, and she got it from my Dad after he passed away. Still sharp as a razor and never used.
thumbup.gif

It may have been the Bear paw. I have two of them and have used them for many years. Ilike them better than the folding Buck that is similar.
Your story made me smile. I hunted for many years with a Italian friend. He told me that another Italian friend of his could sharpen a knife so you could shave with it.I had a razor so I didn't give him my knife, but Luigi had a folding Buck and he gave it to the friend to sharpen.

When he got back , you could shave the hair on your arm with it, but the blade was half ground off. It looked like a filet knife with a 4.5 inch blade.
lol.gif

Oh man, that sounds like a repeat of my horror story. It was sharp, what was left of it. I kind of lost the romance with it right away, especially when I broke the tip off. Probably Schrade would have replaced it. I remember it worked a lot smoother and took less pressure to open than the Buck Knives. Too bad there isn't even one factory left in America. If I had lied and told Schrade I lost it I could have had a new one anyway, but I'm glad I didn't. I think that it was a Bearpaw. Thanks for reminding me.

Originally Posted By: Centurion Too bad there isn't even one factory left in America.

Oh but there is.
Take a look at Great Eastern, Canal Street, Bark River, Queen, North Woods (my fav although they do have some of their slip joints made for them by Queen).
All of these fine knife makers are living proof that there are still a few real craftsmen left in our once great country but you won't find the really good stuff in a bubble wrapped package at Wall Mart (thank god).
Heck, even Utica and good ol Case knives are still made in the US and sell at a reasonable price.

Originally Posted By: coleridge
rpc55 said:
You must baby that thing... Looks brand new for a EDC. You should see my mini grip, far from new.

That was taken when it was brand new. I've had it about a year now. It has much more wear now.

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: Centurion Too bad there isn't even one factory left in America.

Oh but there is.
Take a look at Great Eastern, Canal Street, Bark River, Queen, North Woods (my fav although they do have some of their slip joints made for them by Queen)even Utica and good ol Case knives are still made in the US and sell at a reasonable price.

Yep. Bear and Sons are 100% USA made also.

Other larger companies who still sell made in USA blades include Kabar, Kershaw, Remington, Gerber, Kutmaster (Utica)and Moore Maker.

In addition to Bark River and Northwoods, there are a couple other knife makers here in Michigan that make similar type knives that were also inspired by Michigan's 2 greatest knife makers, Scagel and Marbles. These include Hess, Rapid River, and Hycreek. (There is one more also but I'm drawing a blank)

I believe now that Camillus went under(RIP) Remingtons are made by Bear now, and Moore Maker may be also(or at least some of them are. Some may be made by Queen also methinks).

I concentrate on buying Made in USA knives only, with one exception: I have a bunch of Jap made Taylor Cutlery (Bear Creek and Elk Horn brands)knives. Other than these vintage Jap era Taylor knives, I have very few that were not made in USA......

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: Centurion Too bad there isn't even one factory left in America.

Oh but there is.
Take a look at Great Eastern, Canal Street, Bark River, Queen, North Woods (my fav although they do have some of their slip joints made for them by Queen).
All of these fine knife makers are living proof that there are still a few real craftsmen left in our once great country but you won't find the really good stuff in a bubble wrapped package at Wall Mart (thank god).
Heck, even Utica and good ol Case knives are still made in the US and sell at a reasonable price.

Yep. I like my Case (Bradford PA) and Kershaw ( Tualatin OR )

RePete--I'll have to look those others up. I was referring to the Schrade company. From the looks of the custom knives I'm seeing on here, probably my next knife won't be a factory one. It looks like there are some great knife craftsman right here on the forum!

Originally Posted By: RedfrogOriginally Posted By: 2muchgunI know where there is a GEC #26 new for $50 shipped but i aint tellin'
tt2.gif

Depending on who you told may help get that knife forum up and running.
grin.gif

Say the word, I'm sure something could be arranged......
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: CenturionRePete--I'll have to look those others up. I was referring to the Schrade company.

Don't blame ya.
Schrade was and still is one of my first loves.
For a nice semi custom at a reasonable price take a look at Canal Street.
Like I mentioned earlier, "some of the employees from Schrade bought their equipment and started CSC employing many of the fine craftsmen that lost their jobs when Schrade (Taylor) sold his sole and moved to Chinaland".
That alone prompted me to buy a couple and I have ZERO regrets.

2MG,,,, Sorry, but the only thing Bear still has going for it is that they're US made.
I have a Moore Maker made by Bear (FYI, MM subs out ALL of their knives) that's back spring is so weak it'll close up on ya under even the slightest pressure. It's actually dangerous, and as good a reason as I needed to never buy from MM or Bear again.
Not that Bear hasn't made some good stuff in the past, but that (like allot of other things) has changed.
As usual, JMO based on real world experience. YMMV

I don't have much experience to comment on their quality. I have one Moore Maker that I have never used and an older Bear Trapper in stag bone that has been used very little. They both seem to be "fine", but neither has really been put to the test.

I have seen weak backsprings from a number of reputable makers. It does happen. I will say, that I have a BUNCH of Schrade knives and the quality of them is extremely consistent. Fit, finish, backsprings, the whole deal. The Schrade 89OT is one of my all time favorite "working man's pocket knives". I have one that is well used, and another that is like new on backup. The Schrade carbon steel knives are wonderful. I am much less fond of their SS blades, although I do have several of them. The newer 152OT Sharpfinger (I was forced to buy when I lost my knife while out of town) absolutely sucks. Just plain bad steel. Nothing like my older USA one.

There are also a few makers out there who have notoriously strong backsprings. Almost too strong, to the point where users complain. I have seen this more than once from GEC and Queen, although I still consider both companies to be top notch...

Back