Is a 223 Rem/40Vmax/3800 fps possible ?

Quote:
I think the 6000 FPS out of the .223 is a bit of an exaggeration but should be easily done in the Swift, if not 7000.

Aint going to happen in a Swift or even Ackleyized Swift Smokeless powder has a maximum expansion rate in the neighborhood of 5,500 fps. Realistically you might be able to get as high as 5,000 fps.

Now then, if you decided to replace your powder of choice with a little dab of C4 that expands at over 26,000 fps (almost 5 miles per second) you could win a few bets over the chronograph. You'd just have to figgure out how to overcome the problem of embedding small pieces of barrel in your face.

Bronco Glenn:

First of all, thanks for your service. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Second, I doubt that the poster you are quoting believes what he is saying. I know I didn't when I first made the statement about getting 6K from a 223. It was all done tongue in cheek by me, and I'm sure by everyone else in light of the debate that was going on. I actually used 6K recognizing that 5K+ is about the best we can expect with conventional powders today to propel anything and still keep the "gun" intact.

Just for the record, there are propellants (notice I didn't use the word "powders") currently being developed and tested that may at some point provide phenominal results beyond what is generally though capable of today as far as expansion factors and velocity are concerned. The only problem with them is they are very expensive to make by today's standards, they generate a lot of heat transfer in most cases, and they can't be bought at the local reloading supply store. And probably never will be. And they are much newer than C-4.

If you stay in the business of hunting 2 legged varmints and predators like you are now, you may well get to play with some of them. I doubt the rest of us pursuing four legged varmints and predators will ever get the chance.

Nor will we ever likely need them. If a coyote strain develops that can outrun a max'ed out 223, I'll just use a bigger cartridge to chase him a little bit faster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Stay safe and get home soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif - BCB

PS: Happy Birthday Today! - US Marine Corp - 1775

OT: I just think Gunnut & Rem Shooter buy their garage doors or window covers from the same garage door/window cover salesman in New Mexico. I might be wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

There has been a few stories told behind that door. A few rifles built behind that door. A few critters skined behind that door. There are no 3800 fps 223's behind it though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hey guys, that 3770 Hornady 40 gr factory load was a one of kind. I have never seen the factory 40 gr get close to that again. I have shot alot of Hornady 40g factory stuff. Fed 40gr HP's used to be hot at one time. They don't even make that load anymore to my knowledge. As soon as my .223 boltgun gets back from the smith, I will run through these loads in a 26 inch barrel and see what comes out. These loads were over my 35P

Steve,

It'd be interesting to see the results........
I got some 40's in my shop. Using my Encore rifle and miking the case web, just for sh+t's n giggles, I'll see where the pressure says "stop".
I'll note where the accuracy drops off as well.

I did this same thing several years back using the .22-250 to "just see". Based on it's range and velocity, I opted for the 55grs. The 50's weren't bad though.

Take'r easy,
Bob

BCB/Bronco Glen

Just confirming that the 7000fps I mentioned was an exaggeration. I am falling into the "3800 is possible by why" camp.

I may be a begginning reloader but have been a long time shooter/hunter and personally I am more concerned with consistancy than speed. I have yet to meet a yote that can outrun my Marlin .44 let alone my .223 with a tame load.

BroncoGlenn:

Glad you are home safe and Happy Veteran's Day to you and all the other veterans. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

I.O.N. - I was pretty sure you were just adding to and further exaggerating the already exaggerated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Take Care. - BCB

ION,

The .44 Mag ought to do a bang up job on coyotes at 100-150yds., I'd guess.
I've killed many deer with it at those ranges out of handguns.....probably 125yds., was my longest shot at a fat doe. She went in a heap........cast hollowpoint....nice.

Haven't had a chance to nail a coyote with one yet though...maybe the "Hunting Gods" will smile with favor on me this year though.

Bob

Back