IF You Had ONLY 2 Caliber's to use For Varmints/Predator's..What

Quote:
I agree with Tcman...there is a substantial cost savings loading quantities of .223 compared to 22-250

Agree, too. I have both and have shot both for 20+ years. For p-dogs and such, the .223 is considerably cheaper (well, assuming a $100 bill means something, which it may or may not), plus I like the softer recoil of the .223 for p-dogs.

However, if I can have only 2 calibers:

22 LR
.22-250

I'm taking the LR for the economy and the fact that a good shooting .22 is deadly. I shoot p-dogs on our ranchs all the time with my Ruger M77/22 and that thing is just a laser beam.

Even though I like the .223 a lot, if I can only have 2, I'm picking the .22-250 because I like it better on coyotes and I can also hunt pronghorns with it. I can also load it down for p-dogs if I want. However, I wouldn't complain if you forced a .223 on me.

Last edited:
12ga because sometimes a change is as good as a rest, besides it's a lot of fun plucking winged vermin from the sky and seeing them cartwheeling to the ground.

.22lr, quiet, cheap, and did I mention quiet? A silenced one by the way as we're allowed moderators on ours over here.

.223 REM for foxes (moderated too if you please) and whatever else I think needs lead added to it (within reason, and the law).

If I could choose two more in a perfect world they'd likely be .17HMR and eiter a .243 or 25-06.

Ruger 10/22 for the close range ones and for the multiple sht capacity and the proven and unbeatable .223 in price to shoot and accuracy with far less recoil out to 300+ yards.

Varmits-17hmr
predators-Same pending on the range, within 100yds the 17hmr outside of that 30.06 winchester with a handloaded 120gr

Back