hunting crows with a rifle

I never did get any crows even close in this year, going to have to try some other area and some other tactics, maybe a few more decoys too. I have been working on my .17 HM2 , going to have to try that this coming September on those crows.

Wheres 6mm06 I bet hes got some crow hunting storys! Spring squirrel season opens on Saturday might get some shots on crows hope its not raining. I think I'll take the Ruger VMBZ and a box of Winchester Supremes that should blow the feathers off and ol crow! ~marco

I use to shotgun them on a pumpkin field. After the farmer harvested and left the bad ones he said have at it. There was a tree line for cover and we would get plenty.

Hey marco,

I'm still here, but haven't been on the forums much lately. I just now found this post that seems to want to keep on living. That's good.

Scott, hang in there. You'll connect soon.

As to crow shooting, we can't hunt them here in Virginia this time of year, or I would be out in full force after them - probably with calling and a shotgun, though.

I enjoy sniping crows with the 17 HMR in the winter months, especially when we have some big snows and cold weather.

Crow season opens here in August, so it's down time for me right now, thanks to J.C. and our beloved government.

Hey, thanks for asking about me. We'll get back into this topic in good time.

David

Glad your all right 6mm06 was begining to worrie! No cros for me this spring but got a coyote with my HMR and V-max ammmo about 2 week ago and other 3 week ago with my Ruger VMBZ 22 mag at 92 steps! Was shooting the 34gr. Winchester supremes great little round for the 22 mag. ~Marco

Congrats on the coyotes, Marco. 92 steps 'taint' bad for a 22 magnum.

It probably sounds crazy, but I wish we had more coyotes here to call, or at least some that were a little easier to call. Maybe I shouldn't wish for such a thing, but I would like better shooting opportunities.

I know what you mean calling coyotes is alot of fun! Close in calling and using the mag rimfires is a hoot! Like I say season opens up aagin very soon and Im going to use my 592 5mm and the new ammo never killed a yote with my 5mm looking forward to it. ~marco

Icant bleave people eat crows on crow buster thy eat them alot i guess cant seem to call in any yotes here so im thinking of doing some crow calling and maybe some coon calling.

I have a Savage 17HMR, but I just read it is illegal to take crows with a rifle (or airguns & pistols) here in Illinois. What a bummer......

It's a lot fun. I especially like it in the snow. Great time to hunt them.

SingleCrow.jpg

TwoCrows.jpg

CZ-1.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jasonsuchI have a Savage 17HMR, but I just read it is illegal to take crows with a rifle (or airguns & pistols) here in Illinois. What a bummer......

Yeah, I don't know how they came upon that decision...but that's IL for ya.

Levi,

My brother lives in Illinois, near St. Louis. He has to deal with a bunch of crazy laws that we are unacustomed to here in Virginia. It defies logical reasoning as to why some laws exist. The only thing I can come up with is that the people in charge don't know beans about hunting, shooting.

Of course, Virginia has had it's share of miseries. I remember a time many years ago when Virginia would not allow 22 caliber handguns for hunting small game, but it was perfectly legal to blow squirrels or rabbits to pieces with a 44 magnum. Go figure.

Then we had to contend with the "no electronic calls" deal for bobcat and fox. If I were to go coyote calling, and a bobcat of a lifetime showed up, by law I would have to let it walk. Finally common sense prevailed. If I am correct, Pruson and some others had something to do with getting that one changed.

This is just another good reason as to why we need to elect leaders that are concerned about hunters and the shooting sports.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6mm06Levi,
This is just another good reason as to why we need to elect leaders that are concerned about hunters and the shooting sports.

I agree. Chicago and Chicago machine politics ruin this state. If it weren't for this one city, IL would be a lot more sensible, I'm sure.

Originally Posted By: RubenatorAhh but at least we can hunt on Sundays, ol 6mm has to stay home on Sundays!

That's crazy. Why are people who know nothing about hunting making laws about it? Doesn't make sense.

That reminds me of the no alcohol sales on sundays laws. I once saw a guy knock over a display by the register at walmart sprinting with his case of beer to get checked out before he ran out of time saturday at midnight.
laugh.gif

Rubenator,

Who says I have to stay home on Sundays? Man that's a great time for scouting, and photography as well. Ha ha. Besides, my trigger finger needs a day of rest.

Last edited:
Back