hunting crows with a rifle

For me, I drive the old back roads and near farms, looking for crows that are sitting in trees on cold, wintry days. One I recall was sitting in the top of a tree near a barn. I stopped at the farmers house ( I happened to know him ) and asked permission to shoot some crows. After I received the go-ahead, I proceeded to be legal by getting off the highway for a distance, then took a steady shot from a stock fence, and dropped it into the snow.

I have found that very cold days are good for crow sniping. On warmer days they won't sit still for very long, but on cold days they tend to hold tight, especially if you have a little distance between you and crow, something like 80-100 yards or so. At those distances, the 17 HMR really shines.

Last edited:
6mm06 love to read your storys on the 17hmr and crows its something I love to do hunting crows with my HMR and your right the HMR was made for crows. My longest shot was alomost 200yds. keep the storys coming and I am new here to predator masters looks like a good place!

Thanks marco for your good words, and welcome to the forums. I'm glad you enjoy what I've had to say. I don't claim to know everything, but I enjoy what I do.

200 yards is a great shot. I haven't attempted anything that far with the 17 HMR yet. Nice going on that one.

Everyone will welcome your photos and stories as well, and just jump right into it and join in.

David

I plan on a crow hunt in a couple of weeks, with the .17 HMR.
I have never tried crows with a rifle before and I look forward to it.

Thanks.

Hey Bigbronco, looks like a lot a fun! I had a .17 but had to sell in order to buy my oldest son a .243. Hey, hard times. Anyway, I hope to grab me up another one. I have a Rem. 22-250 but think the .17 hmr would be more fun. I just like that little gun. Its a fun gun. Oh yea, one other thing. What is the ideal yardage to shoot these crows in order to keep from completely scaring them to death?

Thanks
"Catnap"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Hey the HMR is the best crow round rimfire or centerfire. For years I thought about what would be the best crow round something that was not very loud and something that didnt shoot a bullet 19 miles so I got a hornet and it worked great but I was still missing something. Then 2000 or 2001 can't remember but thats when the HMR hit the market went out and got me a little Ruger slaped a scope on her and killed my first crow with it and its been love ever since. When hunting season ends around here and Im huning these privte farms the HMR is all I use from june till sept.

Just picked up some more .17 VMAX ammo, going out the week after next for them crows, A lot of great info on this thread, thanks for all the help.

Scott good luck on those crows. What kinda HMR rifle do you have? I went out with my hornet this morning did alittle calling for coyotes had some crows come in but didnt shoot didnt want to spook and coyotes but no yotes showed up should have popped them crows.

I use a 17HMR for crows. Sounds like a good read in that upcoming issue. I like the long range work with it. Won't try one less than 100yds.. The longest has been 180-ish. Just picked up a 17M2 and will try that this summer when crows open up again.

Quote:
For me, I drive the old back roads and near farms, looking for crows that are sitting in trees on cold, wintry days. One I recall was sitting in the top of a tree near a barn. I stopped at the farmers house ( I happened to know him ) and asked permission to shoot some crows. After I received the go-ahead, I proceeded to be legal by getting off the highway for a distance, then took a steady shot from a stock fence, and dropped it into the snow.

I have found that very cold days are good for crow sniping. On warmer days they won't sit still for very long, but on cold days they tend to hold tight, especially if you have a little distance between you and crow, something like 80-100 yards or so. At those distances, the 17 HMR really shines.

It is post like this one forcing me to buy a 17 for black bandits!

Great post!

Hammer

Went out with my 592 5mm thursday afternoon and got a crow at 75 yards was shooting the new 30gr. ammo the old 5mm did a god job nice bullet expansion! Was hopeing to go out today with the HMR but nasty windy aand rainy. Maybe it will clear up this afternoon I hope. ~Marco

Back