How many use scent eliminator??

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI heard through some LEO friends that there is something that will mask the dope's scent.

Home Security confiscated the product and threatened the owners...it's real hush hush.

I don't believe it, rumors... For sure it isn't scent eliminator spray, that's been around for years and is still available - if you want it.

Terminator,
Glad it is working for you. Understand that to a coyote you smell exactly like a human with a mixture of baking soda and water sprayed on him. With that in mind, watch the wind...
smile.gif

Once again... coyotes aren't deer. Coyotes are sharper than that and some baking soda spritz isn't going to mask your odor from a sharp nosed coyote. But the good news is - deer taste better so by all means carry on - lol!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: GCOnce again... coyotes aren't deer. Coyotes are sharper than that and some baking soda spritz isn't going to mask your odor from a sharp nosed coyote. But the good news is - deer taste better so by all means carry on - lol!
wink.gif

GC, other than watching the wind, are you doing anything for scent control?

rpc,
Not anymore really, I wash my hunting clothing in scent free detergent just because it is available, I use a bland body/hair wash before hunt, same for deodorant, simple stuff just because it is easy enough to do. None of that means a thing if a coyote gets downwind, so it is probably a waste of time. But I do the simple stuff and at least I smell better to me!
wink.gif

Years back I bought into all that stuff and used it all exactly as the book tells you. Hunting clothes were stored in a scent free duffle after being washed in the scent free detergent, I showered in scent free soap and shampoo, I even spritzed the interior of my truck with scent eliminator, a final spray down with scent eliminator before leaving the truck, cover scent at the stand and around the decoy. I found out that none of that makes any difference if a coyote is downwind - he will know you are there. I started thinking about those police canines at work and after some research on canine noses it became more clear how important the wind is in coyote calling.

Originally Posted By: GCrpc,
I found out that none of that makes any difference if a coyote is downwind - he will know you are there.

Thanks GC,
I was always too lazy and unwilling to do all that crap you just described. Thanks for the legwork though. I just hang my cloths outside under cover and wear rubber boots w/ pants tucked in. Not that that makes any difference, just have to hang my clothes somewhere and the boots are handy in the swamps.
grin.gif

They need to come out with a spray when they enter your territory something that just messes their nose up...I can see it now a coyote comming my way having sneezing fits and giving his position away...LOL. I bet that would sell.

Deer have a better sense of smell. But coyote are smarter. You cant say that scent control is not important.. I have shot deer from my stand at 5 feet with bad wind. I shot a 52 lb coyote at 50 yds down wind.

Mark2

i am very anal over my rediculous stampede of scent elimination! we all believe the hype at one time or another and it turns into an ocd case realy!
i start this way!
wash my clothes in scent away detergent,
i hang to dry outside,
i then spray a non scented misquito and tick spray into my dry camo,
i then store in a garbage bag "scent free of course",
when it comes time to get out and hunt, i spray myself down realy good with scent away "especialy the boots! i feel this is the most important!"
i then spray natural doe urine on my under soles of my boots!

also i dont even put my boots on until im outside!

and as a last step i walk through almost every cow pile on my way to my deer stand!

Originally Posted By: Mark2You cant say that scent control is not important.

Mark, that is fine, I won't knock anyone if they want to spend money and time on all that stuff. I've killed mature animals too, even called in a pair of coyotes to within a few feet of me, and never spent a dime on it. My daddy and pappy didn't need that stuff, neither do I. I'm not here to argue, I'm just sayin. I really don't care either way.

good luck to you.
Bob

Originally Posted By: Mark2Deer have a better sense of smell. But coyote are smarter. You cant say that scent control is not important.. I have shot deer from my stand at 5 feet with bad wind. I shot a 52 lb coyote at 50 yds down wind.

Mark2

Can you provide a reference for that statement? I'm looking to learn something here. Deer are reported to have as many as 297 million olfactory receptors and some bloodhounds and trailing dogs have 300 million olfactory receptors. Coyotes being a wild canid known for their survival ability that relies heavily on the sense of smell to find food, for protection, and for various social reasons such as mating and marking territory it would seem logical that they would have at least that highly developed sense of smell. Though I cannot readily remember exactly where I read the research that coyotes had a greater sense of smell than a deer; it would seem logical given the information of domesticated hounds having a greater olfactory sense than a deer. I could be wrong about it, though I find it hard to believe that a coyote’s nose isn’t at least as sharp as a domestic hound and thus greater than a deer also.

Originally Posted By: Mark2Deer have a better sense of smell. But coyote are smarter. You cant say that scent control is not important.. I have shot deer from my stand at 5 feet with bad wind. I shot a 52 lb coyote at 50 yds down wind.

Mark2

I have had deer within 2 feet of me and my daughter, I could have lifted my foot and kicked her in the head. Had coyotes within 10 feet. My wife killed a coyote at 30 yards down wind and neither one of us use any scent control. Some people swear by it others see no need for it. I will spend my money on fuel instead.

Here's where I stand with this subject after many years of hunting both deer & coyotes.

Coyotes will win the smell test. Hands down.

Deer have a keen sense of smell, but until you really get to know coyotes and study hundreds of them coming in, you really have no idea how well they really can detect smells.

You can continue to buy scent eleminator products, cover scents, etc.....BUT, if they worked very well on canines, the US Customs would be out of business with their dogs.
wink.gif

To re-use an old comparison:

When you walk into McDonalds, you smell Hamburgers & fries.

When a coyote walks into McDonalds, they smell meat, bread, onions, sesame seeds, pickles, Dr. Pepper, and the new rubber smell on the sneakers the kid in the kitchen has on.
grin.gif

While some products may appeal to YOUR nose, it won't even begin to give you the slightest edge in the field while hunting coyotes. That's a fact.

I'm a little late in the discussion here, but here's my 2 cents...

I'm mostly a deer hunter. We don't have many coyotes here in PA, but I do hunt them from time to time. I do hunt foxes quite a bit though. I agree with most of the posters who say you can't fool a canine's nose. I've been told by dog trainers/leo's/emergency k-9 responders that if you set a bowl of beef stew in front of the dog, he could pick out the carrots from the lot.

As a hunter, who spends a lot of time enjoying what I do, I want to increase the odds in my favor, as much as possible to make a successful hunt. I play the wind EVERY time I go on stand. If I can't hunt a stand, I'll go somewhere where I can hunt with that wind. But, even when you play the wind, that isn't going to guarantee that you'll get a shot off before a deer/yote gets downwind...especially with archery equipment. Therefore, I do use scent control products (shower gel, unscented deodorant, activated carbon suits, rubber boots and scent control sprays) to help keep my human scent to a minimum.

I used to get busted a lot, by deer who cross my entry route. Since switching to scent control sprays, garments and rubber boots, the instances of this occurring have greatly diminished. The way I see it, if a scent control product buys me just a little bit more time to make a successful shot, it was worth it. That little bit of extra time can mean meat in the freezer, or a pelt on the wall.

If anyone is interested, I'm using a scent control spray called "Forget the Wind" made by a friend in Ok. City, OK. I've tried several other "name" brands, but his product works much better, for me anyway. I know Ackleyman on this board has a lot more experience with this product than I do, especially with coyotes. Maybe he'll chime in.

bownut

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: pelletmakerNavy beans????

Navy beans = methane gas... toilet humor.

That one went completely over my head. LOL

Quote: Deer have a better sense of smell. But coyote are smarter. You cant say that scent control is not important.. I have shot deer from my stand at 5 feet with bad wind. I shot a 52 lb coyote at 50 yds down wind.

Mark2

Just because an animal is "downwind" as someone may interpret it, doesn't mean the wind has blown across his nose. I saw a video put out by PSE archery using smokebombs to track wind current.

The wind doesn't always blow in a straight line as we believe, especially in a forest with elevation. The smoke they filmed took some amazing twists and turns in 100 yards.

Therefore, you may have an animal downwind that indeed has not smelled you yet. I attribute this to the few "downwind" coyotes I have killed. But I doubt they smelled my scent and chose to ignore it.

But my experience is generally unfavorable when a coyote wraps downwind.

Only scent blocker I believe in is a very high treestand, and that is still not a 100% guarantee.

I watched a show the other day on the TV and the hunters were hunting yotes and using that spray stuff. It was funny, he was spraying the scent block and you can see the wind blowing the mist away from him and you could see his own breath blowing right on him........he shot yotes but were they comming in cuz they didnt smell him or was it cuz they smelled what he had for breakfast and wanted to share.....either way, if your going to spray the stuff on, make sure it actually gets on your clothes.....just thought that was funny.

Back