Hornady 62 eld-vt

They seem to work in bolt guns. Not my video…

I’d be curious to see how they do on coyotes for a “ fur friendly bullet” at slower 223 velocities. Wondering if they would go in small and not exit?

Had a couple guy's that had been out for coyote's here at our café a few years ago. They were shooting 223's with 50gr SX bullet's. I asked if they went through and was told nope. But really jells the inside! I've had a couple 223's in the past and mine just didn't like 50gr bullet's much but, with 55gr, you better duck!

I’ve tried vmax max Nosler ballistic tips in 40’s, 50’s, 55’s and 60’s in my POF and LTR 223’s. They both seem to prefer 40’s and 60’s. They will shoot under MOA with all of the weights but the tightest are with 40’s and 60’s. I keep forgetting I have a H&R heavy barrel single shot I bought back in the early 90’s. I’ll have to get it out and see if I can lighten the trigger and play with it too. It’s a super accurate little gun, but the trigger is its worst enemy. Never tried any other projectiles in them to date accept for some moly coated 55 grain PSPs in the H&R that would stack them on top of each at an 100 yards with a 4x Tasco scope and a crappy trigger. I tried one of my pet loads from the other rifles in that H&R last year at 200 yards and it was shooting under MOA. I did swap scopes to a 6 x 24 Tasco Sportman I had laying around the Tasco sent me by accident. Wasn’t planning on sticking a high dollar scope on it because it’s just a fun truck gun. even with that hard rotten trigger. I was getting an inch and a quarter groups with it with one of my pet loads from another gun. It’s a fun little plinker. I paid around 100 bucks, or so, for it new at the time.

I just seated them to match Factory OAL of 2.610 and out of a half dozen 3 shot groups none have broke out of 1/2 MOA with multiple powders.
They are fast! I stopped at 3740 as spin rate is getting up around 340,000 RPM.
Not sure how fast these can be spun but seems I remember mid to upper 300,000’s is where things get iffy.
David,

What length barrel? 24" ?

PS: What powder and powder?

Last edited:
I’d be curious to see how they do on coyotes for a “ fur friendly bullet” at slower 223 velocities. Wondering if they would go in small and not exit?

My brother runs them in a 223 bolt and they have been very effective at dropping the Coyote in it's tracks, with minimal fur damage. I don't think it's fair assessment to judge a projectiles performance without a high number of kills to work with. I know and hear of way too many guys thinking there's a magic bullet that you can shoot with any shot placement and it's either A. not going to ruin fur and or B. it's not going to be a runner.

I don't care who you are, how many you kill, if you can't shoot consistently in the location that renders the animal incapacitated, don't blame the round.

I'm a prime example, we are still using the 62's, we have over 100 confirmed kills with the 62's, the performance has been outstanding. I have torn some holes, but nothing worse than I've seen a 50 do, or a 69, or a 40, or a 75. I have also witnessed 4 runners that were dead on their feet. ALL of which I filmed, ALL of which was not the projectiles problem, it was the "placement" of the projectile.

We just killed a triple 3 nights ago, All using 62's, mine ran. BECAUSE I didn't have a proper angle to have a proper anchor. The next night we killed another Synced Triple, all 3 DRT, and 15 minutes later killed a synced Double, mine once again ran, dead on his feet but she made it 40 yards, in the upper shoulder, out the rear rib cage, not a bad hole, but not a good shot angle.

I am having at the very bare minimum as good, but I think better performance with the ELD-VT's than the 50's we've been using for the past however long.
Definitely not bragging, but I'm not basing the performance on 20, or 50, or even 75 kills. This is all documented over 100 bodies, most of which are all on my IG stories every Night we go out and every Day set we make, so it's free, and easy info for anyone to access.

I can also do a write up here once we kill over a couple hundred this year, and give you some credential info on how the average performace was on fur, and lock up, tip over, dead performance.

My brother runs them in a 223 bolt and they have been very effective at dropping the Coyote in it's tracks, with minimal fur damage. I don't think it's fair assessment to judge a projectiles performance without a high number of kills to work with. I know and hear of way too many guys thinking there's a magic bullet that you can shoot with any shot placement and it's either A. not going to ruin fur and or B. it's not going to be a runner.

I don't care who you are, how many you kill, if you can't shoot consistently in the location that renders the animal incapacitated, don't blame the round.

I'm a prime example, we are still using the 62's, we have over 100 confirmed kills with the 62's, the performance has been outstanding. I have torn some holes, but nothing worse than I've seen a 50 do, or a 69, or a 40, or a 75. I have also witnessed 4 runners that were dead on their feet. ALL of which I filmed, ALL of which was not the projectiles problem, it was the "placement" of the projectile.

We just killed a triple 3 nights ago, All using 62's, mine ran. BECAUSE I didn't have a proper angle to have a proper anchor. The next night we killed another Synced Triple, all 3 DRT, and 15 minutes later killed a synced Double, mine once again ran, dead on his feet but she made it 40 yards, in the upper shoulder, out the rear rib cage, not a bad hole, but not a good shot angle.

I am having at the very bare minimum as good, but I think better performance with the ELD-VT's than the 50's we've been using for the past however long.
Definitely not bragging, but I'm not basing the performance on 20, or 50, or even 75 kills. This is all documented over 100 bodies, most of which are all on my IG stories every Night we go out and every Day set we make, so it's free, and easy info for anyone to access.

I can also do a write up here once we kill over a couple hundred this year, and give you some credential info on how the average performace was on fur, and lock up, tip over, dead performance.
Are you guys running them in your 250’s?

I was doing some googling and found this post from yesterday year when my username was 243ME….

…back when everybody said, the 60 grain Vmax was king in 223 velocities. I’ve had super good luck with them and massive for friendly results. There’s always gonna be a better mouse trap built bullet wise. I’ve had super good luck with them. Every coyote shot with them have dropped in its track except for one. I hit it high in the back. Never could see a hole going in and if it exited, a 50 cent size hole at the biggest.

These bullets have been working great on coyotes for me in my 22 Creedmoor. Shot a bobcat at relatively close range too and there was a barely noticeable entry and less than a dime size exit.

Noticed a bobcat in the tree line, watching and saw it get startled and run to the right. Looked to the left and saw a coyote, dropped it, and kept calling for the bobcat. Full stand and short versions of the thermal video below.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the 62gr ELD-VT yet in a 1-10” twist 22-250? I have some coming to try. Won’t get my hopes up yet. May have to just save them until I buy a prefit 8 twist. But curious to see if anyones had luck with a 10?

Yes, Cabelas had some. Been kicking around the idea of a 224 Val for the grandkids to shoot P-Dogs using this bullet.

Last edited:
Back