Hornady 62 eld-vt

I just seated them to match Factory OAL of 2.610 and out of a half dozen 3 shot groups none have broke out of 1/2 MOA with multiple powders.
They are fast! I stopped at 3740 as spin rate is getting up around 340,000 RPM.
Not sure how fast these can be spun but seems I remember mid to upper 300,000’s is where things get iffy.

I just seated them to match Factory OAL of 2.610 and out of a half dozen 3 shot groups none have broke out of 1/2 MOA with multiple powders.
They are fast! I stopped at 3740 as spin rate is getting up around 340,000 RPM.
Not sure how fast these can be spun but seems I remember mid to upper 300,000’s is where things get iffy.
David, I may have missed it ,if you said earlier .
What kind of damage are these 62s doing ? With the large cavity between the tip and core combined with the faster RPM, I would think they would be pretty messy ?

I have a very limited sample size using these in my 22 Creedmoor on 3 coyotes and 3 pigs. So far, not messy at all. Coyotes and pigs all have a small entry and no exit, animals dropped quickly.

I have some on the way from midway. Plan to use them in a 1:8 twist 22-250. Any ideas for published load data? I was going to use 2.600" for C.O.A.L. and powder charge data for 69 grain bullets, any suggestions?
Thanks

I have some on the way from midway. Plan to use them in a 1:8 twist 22-250. Any ideas for published load data? I was going to use 2.600" for C.O.A.L. and powder charge data for 69 grain bullets, any suggestions?
Thanks
My freebore was short so oal may not help, but I was running alpha srp brass cci 450 varget and I was at 40.8 but in a 9 twist. Was getting good results for a bit then they just didn't want to shoot anymore. So I am going to burn up this barrel with 69 tmks and then I will throw on a 8 twist and try again.

Seen a couple other places that had the bullets yesterday. I think I will have 600 sitting for a bit till I get the 8 twist barrel on. Have 3k tmks rite now though.

Never shot a Berger bullet but they remind me of the the same concept with a ballistic tip, From what I’ve read and seen they designed to enter and ”grenade” with a lot longer OAL bullet length with a better BC. Also the VTs look like they are design specifically (only) for the new modern cartridges that the bullet sticks super far out of the case and meant to be loaded long like the CM, ARC, Grendel, and similar with faster twists. I see Seirra did the same thing with their .243 100 grain total game changer. Says is meant for 1/8 twists or faster. I’d be curious to see if someone tries to load the same versions in a 223, 22-250, 220 swift, and 243 with slower twists and see how they group. I’ve loaded 55 and 60 grain bullets in my 243’s with a 1/8 twist with Pretty decent accuracy. I had to give it a try even after all the readings saying that lighter bullets won’t work in faster twists they work just fine for me in two rifles. Guessing the heavier bullets with long nose taper probably aren’t as forgiving though? I watched the 50 minute horn video on them yesterday getting an explanation of the bullet and their design. They said it was designed for target shooting long range and massive Blow ups on varmints. The guys who were coyote hunting at night thst we’re having shot placement issues because they couldn’t range at night we’re getting run offs. Sounded like they switched to this bullet and close counted with the explosive bullet with less than idea shot placements “Per their marketing department staff”. I have zero problems with ballistic tips blowing the snot out of coyotes in every caliber with “close counts” shots. They just don’t have the BC of the VT bullets. I also don’t normally shoot over 400 yards 99.9% of the time so I can always keep my crosshairs on the animal with my 243 loaded with 55 grain noslers loaded hot in 26” barrel around 4250 fps. They just aren’t as efficient as the new VT at longer ranges..I get it. If the VTs and 100 grain TGC wouldn’t stabilize in my calibers that aren't meant to shoot these type of long tapered bullet designs I wouldn’t loose any sleep. If I had one of the newer calibers meant to be loaded long and I was shooting paper and targets at 800 yards and beyond (where this type of bullet seems to shine) I’m sure it’s going to be awesome. Where I live and hunt ranges that far you’re shooting on someone else’s private property. If I lived out in Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, or Nevada, I’d be tickled to be shoot super long ranges in open county and would be probably getting a new caliber I couldn’t live without again just to shoot these bullets. Just don’t have that kind of “range” opportunity in the northwest. Shotguns are more useful than rifles here when calling. My average shot is under 150 yards closer to 100 or less 99% of the time where I live so short and stubby bullets are more than feasible …unfortunately…where I live.

Last edited:
Never shot a Berger bullet but they remind me of the the same concept with a ballistic tip, From what I’ve read and seen they designed to enter and ”grenade” with a lot longer OAL bullet length with a better BC.
Berger bullets were never designed to do that, they were first and foremost a target bullet.

When people started shooting them into animals, they discovered how they worked.

After target shooters started having the original target bullets blowing up, me included, Berger went to a thicker jacket, and labeled those as Target bullets, and labeled the originals as Hunting bullets.

They seem to work in bolt guns. Not my video…

I’d be curious to see how they do on coyotes for a “ fur friendly bullet” at slower 223 velocities. Wondering if they would go in small and not exit?

Last edited:
They seem to work in bolt guns. Not my video…

I’d be curious to see how they do on coyotes for a “ fur friendly bullet” at slower 223 velocities. Wondering if they would go in small and not exit?

I would think being heavier bullet might have a better chance of exiting than a lighter bullet. I would think a lighter bullet be more fur friendly

The 60 grain vmax doesn't exit loaded in my 223ltr around 2975 fps alot of times. Especially chest shots. I get exits at slower velocities at 2850fps with my POF with a faster twist. Normally fifty cent piece sized exits. Just wondering if these would go in and not come out at slower 223 velocities.

Back