Hearing protection act

I imagine they would get cheaper just to try to compete with all the home shop built cans that would likely start appearing. Not sure what the regs might be, but looks to me like anyone with moderate skills and equipment could build a suppressor that would accomplish its purpose.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogMaybe a dumb question but if a law was passed, would the cost of a suppressor go down as well?

yes and no. if the HPA passes i suspect the market will do several things.

The upper end of the market probably wont shift much. People have gotten used to the high quality thats available right now because as it stands suppressors are pretty much a "buy it for life" item and the manufacturer's understand that. The price may soften a bit, but i dont expect it to be dramatic - lets call it 10% average, 20% on the high side. just like guns - american shooters will be willing to pay extra for lightweight, high quality suppressors.

what we'll see the big expansion on the lower end of the market price point. Not necessarily poor performance, but made with cheaper, heavier materials. Products similar to what you can currently form1 with no more tools than a basic drill press and simple skills.... like a "solvent trap" build. THe price of those kits will be very reasonable, and the people selling the kits will likely be able to just sell them as finished product, except we'll be able to get them with machined baffles instead of freeze plugs. i suspect these would fall into a price point from competition of about $100-$300.

rimfire suppressors that are essentially disposable will show up as well - non user serviceable at a very low price point that can be used until they turn into a lead bar, then replaced at a nominal cost. i'm thinking something along the lines of a $50 - $75 can thats good for maybe 10k rounds and then toss it.

thats just what my crystal ball is coming up with anyway
smile.gif

I hope the atf doesn't decide to sit on their hands and let the HPA do their job. With the holidays coming up I doubt jack will get done till after the first of the year anyway. I'm just fed up. Called at 6 months and was told call in 8 months and none of time frames count the 5 weeks it took for the check to cash after they got the application! Like I said with the holidays coming up you can bet your a$$ next month when I call it will be 10 months. I need a drink!

I wonder if those with form 1's or form 4's would get refunds. It'll really suck to get a few approvals shortly before the act is dissolved and get nothing back. That would be a good start to a new can or even a scope.

It would be great to get this passed, for you guys in free states. Us stuck in NY and Cali would still be shunned I'm sure. Nothing would be better than to keep the wife happy when I'm shooting yotes at 2AM, I get an ear full when I walk in the door. I'd buy two right off the bat. Oh wait, I'm in NY :-/

Quote: November 14, 2016

Dear Mr. Adams,

Thank you for contacting me to share your support for H.R. 3799, the Hearing Protection Act of 2015.

As a doctor and a firearm owner I certainly understand the need for hearing protection while safely and responsibly using a firearm. As you may know, suppressors are regulated under the National Firearms Act and are subject to a more stringent background check, a registration process, and a federal tax. I understand your concerns with current regulations and the application process to purchase a suppressor.

As you know H.R. 3799, the Hearing Protection Act of 2015, was introduced by Representative Matt Salmon (AZ-5) on October 22, 2015. This bill repeals current regulations on suppressors and instead subjects them to the same process as purchasing a firearm. H.R. 3799 was referred to the House Ways and Means Committee and the House Judiciary Committee. Although I do not serve on these committees, please be assured I will remember your support should H.R. 3799 be considered by the full House of Representatives.

Again, I appreciate your thoughts and it is an honor to serve you in Congress. Your suggestions are always welcome, and if ever I may be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

DR. JOE HECK
Member of Congress

Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 3799, the Hearing Protection Act of 2015. It is an honor to represent the people of Southwest Washington, and I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

As you know, H.R. 3799 would amend the National Firearms Act by reducing restrictions on the purchase of firearm silencers. These silencers, also known as suppressors, are often used to reduce noise and recoil a gun from firing a shot. If passed, this bill eliminates the $200 transfer tax on firearm silencers and refunds any tax on a silencer purchased after October 22, 2015.

As an ardent supporter of the Second Amendment, I will not only continue to work to protect the constitutional right of citizens to own and use firearms but also seek to ensure safety measures are available while exercising this right. Noise Induced Hearing loss is a severe risk to our men and women in the military, law enforcement officers, and recreational hunters. Thirty-nine states currently deem suppressors legal, and I believe that we need to ensure that responsible gun users, especially our servicemen and women, have access to resources that protect their physical wellbeing.

H.R. 3799 has been referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means and the House Committee on the Judiciary. While I do not sit on these committees, I will be sure to keep your views in mind should this legislation come to the House floor for a vote.

Thank you for contacting me on this important issue. I invite you to visit my website at www.JHB.house.gov for additional information or to sign up to be kept up to date on these issues. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Jaime Herrera Beutler
Member of Congress

We need to take a page out of the liberals book and chip away at reducing restrictions on suppressors. I'm seeing many people thinking SBR's need to be dropped, refunds for tax stamps given ect a d that will be pushing our luck.

I'll get a $600 refund if it were to pass but I'd be willing to give up the refunds on all suppressor stamps sent in since it was initiated if they would drop all the other BS and let you buy one right at the darn counter and take it home that day like I can a handgun.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeNever be a refund, I could care less about the $200 it's the wait that sucks.

The refund part is just one of those things that make me think, hmmmm I could buy another suppressor with that $600 lol, and if it helps get this passed or is one less thing for the Gov. to be concerned about, I'll gladly forgo it and I'm sure most others would too, IF, it meant all the other BS were to be removed and we could purchase these things the same as I can a handgun.

It irritates the sheet out of me that all the background check stuff has already been done on me many times over, yet we have to wait 6-8 months, or more, before we can take it home.

Since it's a tax I'm not optimistic about any refund or it even going away. Would just be happy to see the long wait and stupid hoops that have to be jumped through come to an end.

I'm nine months in on one already. Six months on another. I just don't see myself volunteering to go through this crap again. If nothing changes I'll be done at two.

- DAA

I'm at 8 months on 1, 6 or so on another and 4 on 2 SBR's that I don't plan on expecting till the 1 year mark.

Last edited:
If I had to guess, the refund is a bargaining chip that would be stripped away in the name of compromise. All we really want is over the counter purchase. Really they shouldn't be restricted at all since they aren't a lethal weapon any more than a hammer is.

Sendit

Originally Posted By: sendit223If I had to guess, the refund is a bargaining chip that would be stripped away in the name of compromise. All we really want is over the counter purchase. Really they shouldn't be restricted at all since they aren't a lethal weapon any more than a hammer is.

Sendit

Bargaining chip is the most realistic.

Originally Posted By: sendit223If I had to guess, the refund is a bargaining chip that would be stripped away in the name of compromise.

Sendit

Agree, I've got almost 4K in taxes that I've already paid in my little can collection, as long as we can get them over the counter, without the wait.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogMaybe a dumb question but if a law was passed, would the cost of a suppressor go down as well?

When I picked up my Suppressor in june I talked about this and the feeling was that a cottage industry will happen because everyone and their Grandmother will start making them.
Some of the well known ones will go out of business and some will struggle until the boat rights it's self.

The problem will be all those garage door suppressor makers will flood the market with a shoddy product.

Back