Good Hunting Vehicle

Here is mine 08 cruiser

untitledtinkbug_zpsa061a525.png

If you don't have to drive far on the road to get there it's hard to beat a Suzuki Samurai for tight areas. Cheap to pick up if you don't mind patching a little rust, very few escaped the salt completely in the northeast. Pretty easy to fix if on the interior, mostly you will find it on the floor. Cut the bad out, add sealer around the whole and rivet in some sheet metal. It is just a hunting / wheeling rig after all, and makes no difference to the appearance.

How it started, picked up for $1,000

Sammy2-8.jpg

Grinding_Foam_5.jpg

Body_Work_3.jpg

Body_Work_2.jpg

Body_Mounts_7.jpg

tub_painted.jpg

DSC01438.jpg

DSC01440.jpg

DSC01442.jpg

zuki.jpg

thought id update everyone just got her painted with cammo. It only too 3.5 days to do. Glad its over with but I think it looks really good.

Before
4Runner056_zps03f97ae3.jpg

After
IMG_20130217_172855_178_zps18b88702.jpg

IMG_20130218_141109_198_zps8fdb4be7.jpg

IMG_20130218_141017_892_zps9feac082.jpg

The solid axle toyotas are great for really extreme off
Road use but the IFS toyotas do ride a little smoother. I've owned an 84 an 85 and a 95 and I liked my 85 the best it was both fuel injected and solid axle and for a few hundred bucks you can get a set of trail gear leafs for the front and some blocks for the rear to give you a little more clearance for bigger tires. The only issue I had with mine was the plastic guides for the timing chain other than that no problems. I rode her hard and put her away wet (and muddy) and she just wouldn't quit.

I'm looking for a new hunting vehicle right now myself. I can't decide between a new or used one. I also can't decide between a Tacoma or Silverado.

Originally Posted By: SquashManIf you don't have to drive far on the road to get there it's hard to beat a Suzuki Samurai for tight areas. Cheap to pick up if you don't mind patching a little rust, very few escaped the salt completely in the northeast. Pretty easy to fix if on the interior, mostly you will find it on the floor. Cut the bad out, add sealer around the whole and rivet in some sheet metal. It is just a hunting / wheeling rig after all, and makes no difference to the appearance.

How it started, picked up for $1,000

Sammy2-8.jpg

Grinding_Foam_5.jpg

Body_Work_3.jpg

Body_Work_2.jpg

Body_Mounts_7.jpg

tub_painted.jpg

DSC01438.jpg

DSC01440.jpg

DSC01442.jpg

zuki.jpg

Looks good - All you need now is to drop a diesel VW motor in it. Can you say 38-43 MPG !!!!!!!!
thumbup.gif
wub.gif

I am looking at a Geo Tracker right now and trying to find a VW 1.6 TDI from 1996 or earlier. Crazy easy conversions and great gas mileage = lots more hunting

YMMV but this is the best I can figure out for hunting coyotes

Dag will fit in the back seat easy

Here's a few of the rigs I've used. About a million k's on them all together.

88 4Runner 22re

coyote2011005.jpg

4runner09003.jpg

88 4Runner SR5
mud002.jpg

2004 Duramax CC & Indy lite 340 GT longtrack.

2for3day010.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjIzLTAwMTEyLmpwZw.jpg

joeandmikes001_zpsa48ee7ab.jpg

Don't overlook the Geo- chevy tracker, they will go through some junk and climb hills better then anything I've seen.For the past several years I've been driving a 92 model Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer edition. Luxury and mean 4x4 in one.Just wish gas was cheaper cause the 351 is ALWAYS thirsty!

I have a '91 Geo Tracker 4x4, the model with the full-length metal roof, instead of the Bikini-top model. For me, it is about as good as it gets. It has enough room for me and my gear, plus a passenger, occasionally. Plus, my Tracker gets 28 MPG, allowing me to put on more miles than I could with a different vehicle. It has a 5 speed manual tranny, locking hubs, and a "Stud-Horse-Stout" 4 banger!

A friend has a Tracker that he has modified into a "Coon-Huntin' " rig. It started out as the half-roof model. He removed the soft-top and the rear seat. A wall of plywood was built, from the floor-pan to the end of the half-roof. This resulted in a 2-passenger rig with the rear-seat footwell for gear storage. In the "bed" area, he removed the tailgate, and installed a homemade dog box, custom fit to the dimensions of the bed area. This allows him to haul 2 dogs in seperate compartments. On the top of the box, he built a 6 inch tall fence, and covered the top of the box with indoor/outdoor carpeting. When they get to the backroads, the dog or dogs ride on top of the box, as the rig creeps down the road at 6-8 MPH. The dogs strike scent from on top, and when they bawl, the driver stops, the dogs bail off and the race is on. They can cover a lot of ground this way, and the gas mileage allows him to hunt a lot more than he could otherwise.

I am hoping to find another Tracker that I could modify somewhat like this.

Geo Tracker and Suzuki sidekick are the same. Both built by Suzuki until the later years. I really liked my sidekick.. an honest 30 mpg on a trip. But the ride leaves something to be desired. "I'm Old" Its a great little machine and I would reccomend it to someone that didnt need to carry much stuff. And for Samurai owners the motors will bolt right in with about a 30 HP boost. I am now back to a Suburban. It can carry everything.

Back