Good Hunting Vehicle

Love the tacos and runners. Throw a locker in the rear 3" body lift and some 33's and it will go places. This truck started out with that set up weeled it for a few yrs. Then went SAS. If you ever have to change a clutch go Kevlar and dont look back.

erik008.jpg

Originally Posted By: mtngroanOriginally Posted By: the noobie

#2, the rear end rides a little low, sometimes my hitch will drag or hit ground when crossing a wash out in the road. I want to get a leveling kit and a 2-4 inch lift to help solve this.

Noobie, I put Tundra coils in the rear and Ole Man Emu coils in the front, I am a little higher in the rear, but with trailer or a hitch hauler full of deer it rides good!

Thanks, ill have to try something like that. My struts are about shot so they will be getting replaced this summer before fly fishing season, while I'm at it I will have to replace the coils as well. I've also heard that the coils from a 99 4 runner will give me a bit of a lift aswell as give me a bit more rigid coil that won't settle quite so bad.

The process is started been calling all over talking to people selling their 4runners cant wait to get it narrowed down. Decided to go with manual trans as for the repair costs will be cheaper plus I miss the good old days driving my stang in Cali. To keep this thread going what mods if any would you do for a hunting rig, Ive noticed a few have stated some things to take into consideration.

Last edited:
If you get a yota with a 3500 # winch you can go anywhere. If you get a yota LC engineering has good aftermarket parts ... but in reality fuel mileage and 4x4 getting in and out of nasty spots is all that matters ...throw some lockers in it and a winch and be done ...

If you are gonna go with a locker just put one in the rear. Dont mess with the front if you get a new one with IFS. The front CV shafts are stout, but its more of a pia to put in. But with just one in the rear you will be amazed were you will go. Iv been running a aussie locker for 10yrs and i can crawl thru some chiz in 2wd. One thing you might want to upgrade on a new one would be the hubs, im not a fan of auto locking hubs. The old school stock aisin hubs are pretty tough, throw some warns in and your good.

Heres my stock 84 hi lux 1/2ton long bed
072a7f8d.jpg

Half way done now just needs paint.
b6491bd8.jpg

Another well worth a look is Toyota's Rav 4.Earlier runs were available with either tranny.A few years ago they dropped the manual.

Ford Rangers make for a nice hunting rig. Get one with a 4.0 and a manual trans then swap out the hubs for some manual locking ones. I love both of mine.

IMG_2252-2.jpg

003-14.jpg

So I would add a new one to the mix. Look at a chevy blazer. The good old K% from 73 on. they are a great all around vehicle with only 1 exception fuel mileage, but on a hunting rig that is not usually a deal breaker.

Why a K5.

1. V8 350 engine pretty standard. The easiest and one of the most common engines in the world (also means easy to find and cheap parts).

2. 87 and 88 came fuels injected

3. they area dime a dozen right now on CL and can be had for 1500-3000 for one in really good shape.

4. They can tow a 20' camper, boat etc.

5. they are cheap, and do really well off road

While there is nothing wrong with the yotas, I really like my old Chevys to beat the piss out off.

Of course they look really cool when properly decorated(this is a 71, I would not recommend unless you have some restoration skills or deep pockets to get one already restored)...

k5cat.jpg

After the blazer I would also look at a Jeep Cherokee, they are nearly the same, great little engines (4.0 or 4.2) and can be had on the cheap due to mass quantities sold.

Sounds like your set on a toyota im sure it will be great for you i would recomend a older model jeep. I have hunted out of one for years. A lift and good tires they will go anywhere and they tread lightly. I have had a cj7 on the family farm a long time when its to muddy for my z71 my jeep will go and hardly leave a track

Mine was a '97 Nissan pickup. I say "was" because it threw a rod after several years of good use in the field.
I sold it to a guy this past summer who plans to fix it up. That little truck was hard to stick, and got me into
and out of some nasty and tough places. I miss it.

Huntingtruck4.jpg

Huntingtruck3.jpg

444Bobcat4.jpg

02-50.jpg

01-49.jpg

I rather dig my 90 Cherokee for the purpose... Going to build bumpers a roof rack and a upright rifle rack for the inside. Mercedes Diesel conversion eventually as well...

SL371666.jpg

SL371665.jpg

Second the Jeep Cherokee. Little two door trucks leave little room to store anything inside. Im 6' 5" tall ....no leg room. I want a place to put a coat, a pack, a rifle, a pair of boots, some food ....inside.

Got a 4runner finally about a week ago when I went to San Diego. Ended up with a 98 with 160k. Already Super Lined it to get it all sealed up tight, what do you guys think Ill post some before and after shots. The problem is I have the moding bug bad now cant wait to get it lifted, lockers and such all in due time I guess.
4Runner017_zpsd5798be1.jpg

4Runner023_zpsd82cdd1b.jpg

4Runner055_zps61519e6e.jpg

4Runner056_zps03f97ae3.jpg

4Runner057_zps236b4ce6.jpg

4Runner058_zpsf289e1e9.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. I just sold a 94 with 211000 miles on it. It ran good and everything still worked on it. It got a pretty bad oil leak I didn't feel like dealing with. I imagine you have a lot of trouble free miles left in that 3.4.

Back