Good friends, new gun , and a little blood.

crapshoot

Kerry Carver came south for a little hunting. Steve Dillon was supose to be with us but couldn't make it last minute.
Kerry met up with me friday afternoon for what was suppose to be a 5 day hunt.I loaded my gear and we were off to AZ. We stopped on the way to make a couple of last light stands, one of which produced a double called by Kerry on one of his open reed calls. The wind was blowing a good 20+ but I could hear him lip squeeking but I couldn't find the coyote. Finally I caught movement as a coyote crested a hill on the way out. I have a howl and the coyote stopped behind a bush. I sent a 65gr V-max from the new to me un-blodded Dtech 6x45 and heard the meat report. Kerry was still whisteling and barking and then fired a shot. The whole time im trying to figure out what the heck he was doing as was he wondering the same about me. He never saw the coyote I shot at about 125 yrds and I never saw the one that was standing 35 or so yards in front of him.
Gotta love getting a new gun blodded.
DSC01062.jpg

Gettig to dark to see we headed for AZ where we would meet up with a couple of old time PMers, BlueDeacon and Philogenesis. We crashed at Deacons house and all 4 of us headed out to an area that has produced well for us in the past. Not so this time around. About the 3rd stand of the morning we called in a coyote using the FX5. Started off with a little cranky cardnal and then switched to the DSG cottontail. At about the 7 minute mark this coyote came trotting up the wash passing directly in front of Bluedeacon , who showed great restraint by not shooting so Kerry could get enough footage. I barked her to a stop at about 30 yrds and took a frontal shot. I hit just off center taking her left leg almost completely off at the shoulder. She dropped on the spot with out much of a twitch. That's #2 from the new to me 6x45. Im really beginning to like this gun.
DSC01065.jpg

We finished out the day with noting but dry stands.
The next morning (sunday) , Kerry and I headed to a new location farther north that he and I have both hunted but not together. As we get to our first stand we were greated with black skies, wind in the 30+ mph range and spitting rain. We made about 5 stands and decided to call it quits.
Kerry had business to take care of at home and we decided it wasn't worth wasteing our time with the weather the way it was. I had a good time none the less. I always enjoy spending time hunting and visiting with good friends.
Lets do it again some time fellas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

For some reason calling seems to be really really slow all through out Nevada, Cali, northern AZ and even reports of the same in NM. I know Northen NV has been hit by arial gunners. I wish thngs would turn on around here.

Great report. Glad to know somebody did good this weekend.
We could call em but not seal the deal. Too many people out looking for "shooter bucks". First time I heard that one.

Crapshoot, What powder you using to push that Vmax? I can't seem to get a coyote when I am toteing the 6X45 so I am glad to know that it can be done.

Thanks Lance I sure had a good time.. We need to do it again when the weather is a little better.. It was crappy weather all the way home.. I always have a blast when we go out hunting. Your a hoot to hunt with and a pretty darn good shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Kerry

Sounds like good times to me! Kinda sucks about the weather, but then again, if it was ME and I had a brand new SPRINGBAR, I woulda had to try it out in some decent wind and rain, LOL!

- DAA

Venatic: Im shooting up the last of the 30+ rounds that were sent with the gun. Load info states H335 I believe. Im wanting to try some Sierra 70 gr HP's and AA-2015 if I can find either. The store shelves are bare around here.

DAA: We didn't have the Springbar with us due to lack of space. Kerry packs like a girl and had enough stuff to 3 weeks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

The weather is beautiful today. Go figure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

That is a vias muzzle brake. Works great and no noise increase that I can tell. The countour is a NM 1" under the hand guard and 3/4" in front ofthe GB. It has been agressivly fluted by Mike and reduced a bunch of weight.

Dave I dont think Lance wants to get the tent Dirty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back