Don't drop your MOJO when it's 7 degrees

promapper,

Would it be possible for you to post a couple close-up pictures of the circuit board (a picture of each side)? I'm curious as to what the timer circuit looks like.

I think I can do that. the printed circuit side has a protective covering on it but I will see what I can do. Will post Wed A.M.

Here's one answer to what they have avl. now.

mojo2.jpg

This would help eleminate any breakage when pushing into hard ground. You push the tall metal square tubing into the ground, then put the Critter in it. The square housing on the bottom of the critter fits right inside the tubing.

It also gets the decoy UP for areas with tall grass or short brush.

Originally Posted By: promapperI think I can do that. the printed circuit side has a protective covering on it but I will see what I can do. Will post Wed A.M.
I look forward to seeing the pictures! I forgot that one side of the circuit board had the protective foam stuck to it. I'm really just curious about what components they used in the circuit, so just a picture of that side would work. Don't worry about the other side. Thanks!

Final Assembly

Parts
1 1/2 inch PVC (Lowes has 2' pieces pre-cut)
flat end cap
coupler from pipe to threaded end
threaded end cap
barrel thread in 1/4 20 (I think that's what it's called.)
Velcro with adhesive back.
Krylon green spray camo paint

The battery holder has to have the corners sanded a bit to fit but once you do it works fine. I already have the switch installed on the side and the threads were plenty long to go through the pvc and still have enough left for the guard and nut.

The motor shaft and screw holes are on 1/2 centers. The motor is mounted to the endcap using the motor mount screws. the end cap needs counter sunk holes or sanded down thinner for the short screws.

I opted for a shorter critter and cut the spring considerably shorter.

the end result is no different in sound or vibration than the original however I would not make the conversion unless the original is beyond repair. total time about an hour for the conversion.

773981833_V4Mgo-M.jpg

774426533_Nw5gg-M-1.jpg

774426926_NYtT8-M-2.jpg

774427024_6yEQw-M-1.jpg

774433058_jnQxL-M-1.jpg

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: promapperCreation of the "Pipe Critter".

Started the conversion last night by gathering the few parts that will be required and keeping in mind to keep it simple for those that don't have a lot of tools. Ended up being about $6.00 worth.
773981833_V4Mgo-M.jpg

Parts so far
1 1/2 inch PVC (Lowes has 2' pieces pre-cut)
flat end cap
coupler from pipe to threaded end
threaded end cap
barrel thread in 1/4 20 (I think that's what it's called.)

Th battery holder has to have the corners sanded a bit to fit but once you do it works fine. I already have the switch installed on the side and the threads were plenty long to go through the pvc and still have enough left for the guard and nut.

The only thing left is to mount the motor and a little paint, hook and loop for the fur and done.

I plan to wrap the circuit board in foam and pack all voids with foam as well. I am convinced this should be able to be done in 2 hours.

This would also allow those that hunt in brush the option of making a taller critter

Let's make this a collaborative effort. Any recommendations for a better pipe critter would be appreciated but keep in mind not all of us have a full shop.

Thanks... More tomorrow

To mount the motor you could wrap a layer of rubber around the motor then slide it into the tube and use a hose clamp to finish snugging it up in the tube.

I think any other way will cause to much vibration and cause it to be a bit loud.
Atleast that is what I had to do to my homemade one to keep it from being loud.

Edit to ask how you got it to stay in the tube?And does it vibrate the tube and make it loud? Very good job on yours

Last edited:
I got one this winter and also broke the base first trip out, pushing it into frozen ground. I now use a frizbe with a fountain cup bolted onto it for a base. The critter drops right into it and it works on frozen ground, rocky ground or even on top of the snow.

drscott

Yes. You should be able to find all those parts (or equivalent parts) at an electronics store for pretty cheap. It looks like a slight variation of the astable 555 timer circuit I posted a link to in the the thread you started.

Ok thanks. I'm going to stop by Electronics Warehouse Friday morning after work and show them the picture and see what I come up with. I have a mojo but would like to see if I could build a spare one just for fun.

Well no luck at the electronics store. The guy there didn't seem to want to help me much and just said that the large rectangle part was custom made for that decoy wether or not what he said was true. Not that I need another mojo I just like to figure out how these things tick. If you guys find anything else out let me know.

Jimbo

Originally Posted By: yotecaller10Well no luck at the electronics store. The guy there didn't seem to want to help me much and just said that the large rectangle part was custom made for that decoy wether or not what he said was true. Not that I need another mojo I just like to figure out how these things tick. If you guys find anything else out let me know.

Jimbo

go to goodwill or salvation army and look for dogs that walk and then stop then walk again. Or something like the monkey that clangs the symbols then stops for a few seconds then starts again. Then take apart and use that circuit board for your project. Hook the wires from their motor onto yours and your ready to go with a battery pack and an on off switch. You can pick them up for likE under 2$.

The circuit board (large rectangle part) was custom made for the decoy, but you should be able to pick up the components (or comparable components) at most stores with a Radio Shack-like inventory. You would need to get a perf board and some jumper wire to build the circuit yourself. If you give me a few days I could probably draw up a schematic of a circuit (like the one in the picture) and give you a list of the components you would need to get at the electronics store. By the way does A.V. stand for Antelope Valley?

I was excited a couple weeks ago to purchase my first mojo critter! Second time out, the rod snapped off the bottom. Now it is a Nogo critter. I e-mailed mojo and they have not yet responded a week later. I am not real pleased with their customer service so far. I really thought a company with so many people talking them up would back it up with top notch customer service. Just ordered the woodpecker from tripleoddbuck.com with my new FX3 en route. Guess I can count on using the $45 mojo platform to build my own. Very discouraging. They will not get any more of my business. If I have to repair it myself after 2 outings, I will start building my own as well. Thanks for the input fellas.

Emails are "iffy" at best. They can get tossed into the spam folder, overlooked, etc.

Try calling them.

Local Phone: (318) 283-7777
Toll Free Phone: (866) 216-6656

Fax: (318) 283-1127

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 8460, Monroe, LA 71211-8460

Physical Address (Shipping Only): 2984 New Monroe Road, Bastrop, LA 71220

I know from experience that they are very concerned about customer service. They first have to know of the problem to address it, as with any manufacturer.

I bought mine off of Ebay and the seller was an authorized dealer for Mojo. They made a call followed up by an email and Mojo sent out a replacement
one real quick.

After futher use (and repairs) I've decided the Mojo is a very nice design. Now they need to produce them in the USA and raise the price $20 if thats what it takes. I'd be happy to pay it. Maybe its just me but I'm about ready to puke the next time I see a "Made In China" label. And we wonder why they break and our economy sucks.

Back