Coyote_Thumper-2023

Congrats. Who needs bait when Tabby is on duty?
lol.gif
Does the cat set off your alarm?

Regards,
hm

hm: Thanks. Yes the cat does set off the alarm. So does the dog, and sometimes birds, sometimes possums, and the ~6 deer that visit my lawn every night. Sometimes I get weary of "false alarms" and just start ignoring them. I check game cameras every week or two to monitor what has been coming through. I have 2 alarms on each of the main trails the coyotes usually enter from. They are spaced 100-200 feet apart. I can usually tell from the time delay between the two alarms going off if it's deer or coyote. Deer often come in pairs, doe/fawn, and move slow. so each alarm will ring 1-6 times with a long delay between the two locations. coyotes tend to trot through quicker. single rings with 15-30 second delay between locations. This coyote was a classic example, single rings on the outer two alarms with a shorter delay between them. I jumped out of bed, grabbed the gun, and went to the window and waited. Shortly after, the coyote stepped into view. On this location, the closer of my outer two alarms is about 250' up the driveway from where the coyote stepped into view in the video.

baitpile: Thanks. This year has been exceptionally productive for me. This was coyote number 20 for me. (First time breaking 20 in a year). 19 have been from my property. I had a big wave of them early in the winter/spring(2 or 3 in a single week a couple times), then it has slowed down this summer. I think the last coyote was a month or month and a half ago. And before that it had been a month or two since the previous one.

Well, sometimes I stretch myself too thin and don't get as much sleep as I should.

Last night I had time for one quick coyote calling stand at a place about an hour from my house. I watched a rabbit and a few deer in the field. No coyotes showed up.

#21. Baited by the last coyote's blood.

I got another yesterday morning at 5am. Same spot on the driveway. It came trotting in from the other direction. From that direction I only have 1 alarm that is about 150' down the driveway from where I can see the corner. Then another alarm right on the corner where I can see. It came through really fast, and I jumped out of bed when I heard the corner alarm go off, expecting that it was probably long gone. To my surprise, it was a coyote, and it did stick around. It stopped to smell the blood spot on the driveway from the last coyote I shot a few days ago. After a frantic fumble with the gun and scope, I got a shot off and nailed the coyote.

I'll try to get the video uploaded tonight.

I checked my game camera last night that is pointed at the spot where I got the past 2 coyotes. A coyote came through on the 1st and the 3rd. I dumped some dry cat food on the spot for bait last night. Either the coyote didn't show up or I slept through the alarms. I suspect I'll be getting another coyote soon though.

Back