Coyote_Thumper-2023

Thanks WF. I DID pull the trigger then....and nothing happened. I forgot to close the bolt on the rifle. Haha.

I checked my game cameras yesterday. Monday night a coyote came through. I was about 1 second too late getting to the window as it left. More interesting though, I got a photo of a cougar in my driveway sunday night. That has my wife and I nervous. Cougar season opens Sept. 1.

Yesterday evening I put out some chicken sausage scraps as bait behind my house. Around 12:30 the alarms went off. I checked and it was a coyote. One shot from the .223 dropped it in it's tracks. Easy 60 yd broadside shot. I'll try to get the video uploaded tonight.

LOL, I should have caught that. When it came back from nuking, I expected to see a coyote in the middle of a spin cycle.

Go into the settings and go to "calibration mode" and change it to semi-automatic. You'll need to manually nuke by hitting the power button when you want to nuke instead of having the scope do it when you're in the middle of a trigger pull. That Pulsar likely doesn't need to refresh as often as it does on automatic.

Thanks for sharing, CT. Your dog (like mine) don't chase too many rabbits does he?
wink.gif
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

You're welcome. Haha, yeah the dog (she) is a bit chubby. She is actually pretty rough on the rabbits. We don't get very many around our place, maybe one ever year or two. If the dog see's one, she usually runs it down and catches it, and the proceeds to devour it on the lawn.

Thumper, your pup has been eating well. A coyote would have a tough time going up against her. Fine shooting.

Last edited:
I checked a couple game cameras on my property last night. Monday morning around 4am, I got a pair of coyotes on a camera, followed 30 minutes later by a bobcat. I put some dry cat food out at a couple of my bait sites. Only thing to visit last night was a neighbor's cat.

Thermal hunting on some cattle farms. This one wasn't baiting, but may give proof why I should stick to baiting....

I swapped my scope between rifles using QD mounts that are supposed to return to zero. Between the zero being off, and me not aiming the greatest, i botched my shots.

I haven't decided if I want to make this video public yet, here's the private link for it.

It was still fun to get out and go hunting. We saw about 15 coyotes during the night, but only got shot opportunities on the ones shown in the video. Meteor shower was happening overhead, we saw quite a few bright meteors streak across the sky. That was pretty cool.

Live and learn. I will be confident in my rifle's zero next time I go out.

Tough night thumper. I check zero often on my thermal, and that stays on the same gun. I'm a little gun shy on holding zero after all the trouble I had with my Hogster. My AGM has been solid. Changing rifles with QD hoping to return to zero would keep me up at night, I mean, really put me over the edge. But that's just me, others may have good luck doing that. Guess my OCD is too strong
smile.gif

Yeah I like to confirm zero often. However the way it worked out I didn't have time to this time.

I had the scope on my CZ527. I have 2 batteries for the scope. A standard and an extra large. The extra large battery blocks the bolt on the 527 so I can only use the standard battery on it. My standard battery was down to a half charge and when my buddy invited me to go hunting, I only had about half an hour to get ready. I had previously zero'd the thermal on a different rifle, that works with both batteries. So I swapped the scope and changed the zero profile.

On other rifles with QD mounts, I’ve tested them where I take a shot, remove the scope and put it back on, take a shot, etc. They have held to less than 1 MOA for me. This thermal has a Bobro fancy QD mount that is supposed to be guaranteed to return to zero. The guy I bought the scope from said he had done tests with it where he removed and reinstalled the scope between shots and confirmed it held zero. So I did have valid reasons to trust that it was zero’d, however, like you, it makes me nervous not confirming zero right before I go hunting. That is why you hear me saying a the beginning “I’m not taking a shot that long” (680 yds). Also, that’s why I didn’t take the easy broadside shot when I first spotted the coyotes, but told my buddy to take first shot and I’d take cleanup. I didn’t want to risk missing the first shot on them.

But in the end, like you, this reaffirms to me why I should check zero on my rifle EVERY time I make any change to the scope.

Back