coyote size?

Many things to factor in for sure, when it comes to size. One being the Pituitary Gland. I suspect a few of the larger "coyotes?" in my hunt area, are hybrids.

What do you guys think of this one? I got its picture yesturday afternoon on my trail camera.

64958576.jpg

I was going to say he is pretty excited about selling you
a 17 hmr.

Im not an expert but it looks like a red wolf or mix to me.

Last edited:
That would be an unusual color here in NH. Most of them are grey and black with a touch of brown, almost like an Adams Dry Fly coloration. Some blondes, few and far between. Never so much brown and black like that one.

Al
THO Game Calls

This is what Al is talking about in the East! I shot him on a hunt behind the house and has common coloration for the East.

Don't bash the taxidermy, kids still learning!!

sep0207.jpg

I think it varies mostly due to genetics and environment (cold climate, heavier coyote because they hold body heat better; warm [or hot] climate, smaller body size shedds excess body heat better). As for the genetics, the animals that are better suited to the environment live longer and produce more offspring.

Sorry, but that picture is of a neutered male wolf or wolf/dog that weighed I think 115#. Shot in PA a couple of years ago. Check it out at snopes.com
It has been going around the internet for a couple of years now.

I've owned & operated a full-time taxidermy studio in upstate NY for the past 15 years,and thus have had the oportunity to weigh a fair number of 'yotes on my deer scales over the years.After weighing maybe 20-25 a season,I'd say the avg. weight I see on my scales to fall in between 40-50 pounds.I think the actual avg of the general population is a little less,as I was likely seeing a sampling of some of the larger specimens.I do remember a deer hunter about 7 or 8 years ago brought in a really immense dog that tipped the scales at 62 or 63 pounds for a lifesize mount.It's understandable how someone who doesnt know better,believes they saw a wolf,when they see a dog that size with his winter coat.

Hey Kirby,
In my area of central NY we get a lot of people that talk of coydogs,but geesh, I can't tell them apart,they're all 'yotes to me.I've done my share of odd color phases too over the years,from pale blonde,to red, to charcoal black.I've got a lifesize black phase that I'm going to list on e-bay one day soon,that took a 2nd place in state competition about 6 or 7 years ago, I'll post some pics of it as soon as I get around to taking them.Probably the oddest of all though goes back quite a few years... I'd come in from a hunt, and found my exwife in the shop with an excited customer that had just picked up a road killed albino coyote,and wanted it mounted lifesize.The 'yote turned out to be one of those spitz type dogs,lol.Had I not laughed so hard when I saw what it was,I might have taken his money and not informed him until afterwards what he really had! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Albino Spit-zote, never seen one LOL!

Well, I'm not referring to different color. But having different physical features & size[not typical coyote looking].

In retrospect, I don't believe the dog was even a true albino.I didn't bother to check the eyes as the dog treat still in its mouth was a dead giveaway,lol.Aside from the different color phases though, along with a big range in sizes,I personally havn't seen one yet that I thought was anything other than a coyote.

Back