coyote size?

Just curious, fellas... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

What might help newbies understand size, especially if they've only seen coyotes from a distance...

Instead of weights...
Does anyone ever measure height (from back to ground)?
Or length (from snout to butt, NOT incl. the tail)?

Who knows, there might be someone interested in that data. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Besides, it would give a better indication of just how small the target area is, since fur makes the coyotes look bigger than they actually are. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

{and no, I'm by far not a newbie}, but others are. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

From afar I use fence post's height[ 4' high]. Estimating coyote size. While glassing with my bino's or big-rumped spotting scope.

Also, I use [harvested] corn stalk height, as well as row width. To estimate the size of the coyote. As well as figuring windage adjustment.

For long range holdover shots, if their standing. I estimate, the coyote's chest depth[10-12"]. If their bedded, I use the height of the ear[3"], thats sticking up[for small holdover, shots].

Not an "exact" science, but it all helps.

2' high @ the shoulder, is mighty close estimate on the coyotes in my area. I tend to round off numbers for quick guessing, depending on the distance of the shot.

Close shots, [a bedded or standing coyote]. I spend a little more time getting more precise. That's when I focus on the height/length of their ear.

Chest to rump; If it's a large standing male, I figure 30" while estimating a windage shot.

I've never seen a fifty pound coyote or even close in Kansas. I shoot a lot of them that would have to eat their wheaties to reach 20 pounds.

I shot and weighed a 93lb coyote, it had 16 legs, 8 ears...Oh wait a minute, I think that may have been 4 coyotes on the scale.

Seriously, while driving (not hunting) I've seen a couple of coyotes, one outside of Joliet, IL, and one just south of Camp Perry, OH, that were big enough to make me take a second look to verify that that they were coyotes. They looked twice the size of what we get here in AZ, really huge, so I'd believe they can maybe get to 50 lbs there, at least sometimes.

423043.jpg

Here's another big one, from a couple winter's ago. I estimated him, mid 40's. Thats the 1/2 mile fenceline, behind him. 1/4 mile fence in front.

Seen perhaps his litter mate, late last Winter. It was even bigger. All Golden like this one. The rest of the coyotes, are typical mousy Gray, in my hunt area.

Last edited:
In utah they are huge compared to other states,
avereage is about 74 pounds 4 ounces to 96 pounds 16 ounces.
Just kidding, im with bobtails a 35 pounder is definately a
trophy.

Here in ohio they can get pretty big.One of my buddies killed one that was 62 pounds.He had a full body mount done and it is huge.I killed a 43 pound coyote last winter.I believe KeeKee killed a 53 pounder last year.It is a fact that the eastern coyotes grow larger than western.Iguess that is for the same reason that deer grow bigger.All animals adapt to their climate.

Quote:
Here in ohio they can get pretty big.One of my buddies killed one that was 62 pounds.He had a full body mount done and it is huge.I killed a 43 pound coyote last winter.I believe KeeKee killed a 53 pounder last year.It is a fact that the eastern coyotes grow larger than western.Iguess that is for the same reason that deer grow bigger.All animals adapt to their climate.

Can you explain this "fact" of eastern deer and coyotes being larger than in other parts of the country? I'm curious...

I think the main reason eastern coyotes are bigger is the unlimited food available. In many parts of the east you can not get a mile away from a road killed deer if you tried.

Jack

Do you think if there was endless food lets say in the
west, coyotes could have all they wanted to eat they would be as big as the ones in the east. or do you think some of that could be there genes. just curious because they had
a thing on tv about deer which they fed the same diet
for 6 years and only the one grew to be good size.
just interesting to know if the same thing could happen with coyotes
thanks aaron

I don't have a clue how much different genes has to do with it. However any gene type is sure going to be bigger with unlimited food. Can a western coyote with unlimited food get as big as an eastern coyote? I don't know, but it sure will be lots bigger than the average western coyote.

Jack

Well GC im not a scientist but i think that everyone knows that the deer,and coyotes in Mexico are smaller than the ones from Michigan.I wonder about Canadian coyotes.Canadian deer are huge,how big do the coyotes get.I know the coyotes here in Ohio get plenty enough to eat,but i think it has something to do with climate too.For example a Texas corn fed deer still wont grow as big as a canadian deer eating in its natural surroundings.My cousin just moved back here from texas.He lived there for 20+ years and could not believe the size difference in our coyotes and deer.It is my opinion that all animals will slowily adapt to their climate,weather it is the food they eat or the weather conditions.This is just my 2cents.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well GC im not a scientist but I know the coyotes here in Ohio get plenty enough to eat

Thats just wrong!! By the way how do they taste!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Eastern coyote, well at least Northeastern coyote is believed to be a cross between red wolves and Western coyotes.

www.nescb.org

www.caledonianrecord.com

www2.bc.edu

I have hunted in Colorado once about 15 years ago, and was taken back how tiny they were out there. Obviously I can call more coyotes in Colorado in a week than I can call here all year, but not because of intellegence, just sheer numbers. They are however different..........maybe like a deer in Alabama and a deer in Alberta Canada. Big difference.

I shoot regular size 'yotes and big dogs here in Massachusetts, and I am inclined to believe some sort of hybridization is occuring as we speak.

Lots and lots of stuff on Eastern yotes' on the web. Some fact, some fiction, and everywhere in between......you decide /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

im000669.jpg

I think you're confusing east/west with north/south. Research Bergman's Rule, only a rule and not a law. It is an interesting subject. I know Byron South has killed several 50 lb'ers in Texas. Jack mentions eastern coyotes have so much to eat as opposed to western coyotes, thus the larger eastern coyote. I've hunted Wyoming three times for big game and was amazed how many cottontail rabbits there were out there. The rancher I hunted on told of collecting a limit with a .22 handgun with all headshots in short order by just walking along about any creek bank. I certainly can't do that here, we have rabbits, but nothing like I witnessed there. I wonder why western coyotes don't eat their fill with such populations of wabbits? Unless they all signed up for Weight Watchers, surely they would do so, thus growing as large as the "eastern" coyote, right? Now that I'm wondering, why would coyotes cross breed with wolves in the east, and not the west? Things that make ya go, hummmm...

Quote:
Things that make ya go, hummmm...

Your'e still thinking about eating coyotes arn't you! Just kidding man I could'nt resist!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I was in a sporting goods shop on Sunday, and the guy behind the gun counter told me flat out that coyotes in NH AVERAGED 85 pounds. He also told me that they were ALL half wolf. He then told me that if I shot one that big NOT to take it to the fish and game because they would arrest me for shooting a wolf. (the law in NH says that before you can sell a hide of a fur bearer, you have to have it sealed by a Game Warden. Guess he did not know that) He told me there were several people here in NH who shoot 100 plus coyotes a year, and everyone usese a 17 HMR. No, this is not a joke. This is for real. He really told me this. And this is one of the biggest and most popular gun and sporting goods shops around.

I tried to politely tell him he was full of crap, and we went back and forth with me beating around the bush so to speak, but in the end, I had to come right out and tell him he was an idiot. I tred to be nice, but he went over the line /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That aside, I can tell you what makes a NH coyote look so darn big though.

Fur.

In the summer people never see them. When winter comes and the leaves are off the trees they are easier to spot. Those nice fur coats make them look a lot bigger than they really are.

The real average here is under 40, the occasional is 50 and you might see a rare one 60.

The state record is 72.

Al
THO Game Calls

Last edited:
Back