Colorado Wildlife Commission to ban Varmint hunting

any email links that we can start mass emails stating our positions? If somebody made up a form letter we could get a lot of guys to email the people "in charge"

I'm being personally impacted by this deal, and I'm not thrilled about it!

Vendors are receiving pressure from these freaks, causing them to distance themselves from us, and our products.

I've gone to lengths to keep what we do well within the scope of the law. We don't shoot out a town, we shoot safely, and we buy the proper licenses and land use permits when they are necessary.

These folks are unjustly using our video as a springboard to ban varmint hunting, and I'm certain it won't end there!

I can't apologize for "whooping it up" a bit when I score a kill, I mean, it's fun right? Isn't that why those of us who do it, continue to do so?

[beeep] should I do, hold a candlelight vigil after we finish shooting a town?

This is serious folks, and those of you in the state of CO should speak loudly, and often to anyone who you can get a hold of at CO DOW. This is the camels snout under the tent, and he's about to push in the whole head...

I am. Hope i'm not the only 1 tho. Have been to several sporting goods stores in the area (including Sportsman's Wrhse.), and nobody knows anything about it.

If SW has caved in, we need to remind them who shops at their stores. I suspect it is not the "huggies", as they shop over at Nordstrom's or maybe another great outfitter, Saks Fifth Ave.

Quote:
And which one of these dipchits forks over the same amount of money to the DOW each year that you and I do to accomplish such a task?

The Forest Gaurdians is the group that has brought forth this petition and they don't want ANY more prairie dogs shot or killed, period! SO in thier point of view, no one will have to pay anything to accomplish the "task", because there will be no "task".
The group is only 3500 strong, and not all even live here in CO.
And from the reading that I've done about their "facts", just like so many other groups that are against "hunting" of any kind, they have many of thier "facts" screwed up with emotions.
For one thing, they seem to think that all those dead critters just lay around and rot for months and months, when in fact many other living critters clean them up quite quickly. Of course, they are trying to convince everyone that any other critter that eats a dead prairie dog is now poisoned with lead and will also die a painful death. Funny I haven't ever found any dead burrowing owls, coyotes, eagles, or hawks around any town I've ever shot.
And since when did a "quick and painless" death become animal cruelty. I thought the quicker they died the more humane it is! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
Seems like 3500 Forest Gaurdians should be easily over run by hunters, we just need to find that right Email address to "run over" and be heard.
The group of Forest savers has quite a "wish" list of issues ranging from trying to end cattle grazing on public lands to ending oil drilling to ending hunting of wolves and pdogs. If a little piss ant group like this can end priarie dog hunting, what's next? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

U know, honestly i don't think that's enuf now that i think about it. These guys are going to the Wild. Comm. meetings, and we are not. It's 1 thing to send e-mails but until our voice is heard in their forum, they're right there in the WC's face. U know the old saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease."

sscoyote, you are right in part. We should be attending these meetings. The big thing I see is how organized they are. They plan things all out and are ready when these meeting are held. They found next free legal help. We have some very good help on are side with the ranchers and farmers. As in just showing up with no plan just to argue the point just using good common sense will help but may not win.
Using the email can be real effective if you send a strong message from lot of people that keep sending them emails. It worked in Idaho for shooting squirrels on some 20,000 acres of land.

Claimbuster's SW point could be used against CWC-DOW. If in fact CWC did put pressure on SW to remove the varminting videos, then why don't we put pressure on SW forcing it back at CWC ! if that made any sense.

Last edited:
OK guys, I am about to step on some toes here.

This evening I have been drafting my letter to the Colorado DOW Commissioners. It is a long letter, perhaps three pages in length. I have tried to stay factual and non-emotional. My focus has been on how we further the cause of the ranchers, cattle & wool growers of Colorado, etc, etc.

Now here's where I'm going to start stepping on toes. I hope as you read this, you'll be honest with me and admit to the facts. A long time ago I quit trying to change the world, I just started thinking how I could "warp" it a bit to fit my needs.

The average public finds our PD shooting to be quite dis-tasteful. Non-hunters, non-shooters, non-ranchers, non-land owners DON"T like what we do. There is little we can do to change the minds of people that see PD's as cuddly, furry little friends.

That's a fact and we have to deal with it.

Now some real stomping. As much as we enjoy the "Dogs be Gone" type videos, when in general circulation they hurt us. Right or wrong, those graphic images in front of the general public, are painting us to be a bunch of "sicko's". It would appear that we get our gonads off by watching little critters get blasted into oblivion. Maybe we do, but we don't need to advertise it.

Sounds "hokey", but we have an image problem. We know that we perform a valuable service by assisting land owners with their PD problems. We know when we work hard we save ranchers thousands of dollars in poison costs. We understand the impact of unchecked PD population increases and try to do our part. As we know, unchecked PD populations ultimately lead to plague.

Unfortunately, that is not how we are perceived.

Sorry guys, but we have to work together to improve our image and quit being self-righteous.

Right or wrong, most people don't like what we do.

The question becomes, how do we deal with it.

Quote:
I'm being personally impacted by this deal, and I'm not thrilled about it!

Vendors are receiving pressure from these freaks, causing them to distance themselves from us, and our products.

I've gone to lengths to keep what we do well within the scope of the law. We don't shoot out a town, we shoot safely, and we buy the proper licenses and land use permits when they are necessary.

These folks are unjustly using our video as a springboard to ban varmint hunting, and I'm certain it won't end there!

I can't apologize for "whooping it up" a bit when I score a kill, I mean, it's fun right? Isn't that why those of us who do it, continue to do so?

[beeep] should I do, hold a candlelight vigil after we finish shooting a town?

This is serious folks, and those of you in the state of CO should speak loudly, and often to anyone who you can get a hold of at CO DOW. This is the camels snout under the tent, and he's about to push in the whole head...

Dogbegone,

I have no problem saying, people like you are part to blame for creating this mess with these videos. You are giving them the fuel for thier fire. I hope you are being personaly impacted. You should be for selling that tasteless crap. What did you expect the animal rights groups to do with it ! It portaits hunting in a negitive manner plain and simple. Im glad they took that #$%^ of the shelffs becuse its the right thing to do, if for only to stop other people from seeing it. If only the animal rights groups would go after people like you and leave Colorado out of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I dont agree with what is being proposed. I think some common sense should be used and applied to indivdual circumstances where "Animal Cruelity" is ocurring rather then banning it outright.

I'm sure this pissed some people off but we shouldent stand for people like dogbegone representing the rest of us responsible and ethical hunters. Not to mention they profit at the cost of our hunting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif !

I agree SS.

I also assume that a rancher/farmer organization is fighting this if not they need to be?
They would be against it and they would be organized and have enough power to fight this.

Does CO have a Livestock Association like KS does?? I know for a fact that KS has some mighty convincing voices in a lot of tax matters in the state. I would think if there is a "CLA" then the ranchers you guys hunt on need to let the CLA know about it and they will fight for what the ranchers want/need.

Quote:
OK guys, I am about to step on some toes here.

This evening I have been drafting my letter to the Colorado DOW Commissioners. It is a long letter, perhaps three pages in length. I have tried to stay factual and non-emotional. My focus has been on how we further the cause of the ranchers, cattle & wool growers of Colorado, etc, etc.

Now here's where I'm going to start stepping on toes. I hope as you read this, you'll be honest with me and admit to the facts. A long time ago I quit trying to change the world, I just started thinking how I could "warp" it a bit to fit my needs.

The average public finds our PD shooting to be quite dis-tasteful. Non-hunters, non-shooters, non-ranchers, non-land owners DON"T like what we do. There is little we can do to change the minds of people that see PD's as cuddly, furry little friends.

That's a fact and we have to deal with it.

Now some real stomping. As much as we enjoy the "Dogs be Gone" type videos, when in general circulation they hurt us. Right or wrong, those graphic images in front of the general public, are painting us to be a bunch of "sicko's". It would appear that we get our gonads off by watching little critters get blasted into oblivion. Maybe we do, but we don't need to advertise it.

Sounds "hokey", but we have an image problem. We know that we perform a valuable service by assisting land owners with their PD problems. We know when we work hard we save ranchers thousands of dollars in poison costs. We understand the impact of unchecked PD population increases and try to do our part. As we know, unchecked PD populations ultimately lead to plague.

Unfortunately, that is not how we are perceived.

Sorry guys, but we have to work together to improve our image and quit being self-righteous.

Right or wrong, most people don't like what we do.

The question becomes, how do we deal with it.

I could not agree more with this entire post, everything is right on the money. There are things we all do that isnt advertised, My thoughts from the start of this was about the same. Their case against us wouldnt hold alot of water if they couldnt find videos, websites, and youtube to help them out.

No toes step on here! I have given this subjects a lot of thought even before this current attack. What it comes down to is this. Do we want to patch the problem for now or fix the problem for good.
What I see is the facts are our best defence. The anti's will never see things the way we do. The mass public can be shown why PD populations have to be controled and will mostly go along with it, probably not like it at all but will accept the facts and understand the why. The facts on why shooting is better than poison and plague for control. We need to get real world numbers for this. Like how many landowners use poison and how much it cost them. Not for just here but other states like SD, ND, WY,and on and on. The facts about the guns and ammo we use, for safety, to get instant kills and not to wound.
I know you guys know all of this but to get a better image we have to get the facts out with real numbers for everyone to see. I hope you see what I am trying to say, I think and talk way better than I write.
I think that a form letter would be good for everyone to send to CWC, but not just the people from Colorado, but from all varmint hunters that may come here or to other states to shoot varmints. This will efect what happens in other states when it comes to varminting. To say it won't happen here and do nothing may bite you later. The same goes for us that shoot on privte land here. It's the numbers we need and United we stand. I also think that would be best that the folks in Colorado send the CWC a personl email of what you think.
I am!

I read on on another forum (varminthunters.com) that someone contacted said they take the petion on the 1st meeting, discuss on the 2nd meeting and deside on the 3rd meeting.

Last edited:
Quote:
Maybe the group here should consider drafting a letter to the WC as a group effort endorsed by Predatormasters. Couldn't hurt.

Somebody has to say it.

This is exactly one of the PM support activities envisioned by the late Will Craig. His vision was to have a unified voice for the predator hunting community that would stand up and speak out in defense of our sport. PD's may not be predators, but they are a vital component of our sport. We hear a lot of talk about "Will's Dream", but this is probably the most important aspect of that dream and it isn't being given the consideration it deserves. Will knew the day would come when the predator hunting community would be fighting for its very existence. That time has finally come.

If Will Craig were alive today, PM would be recognized as an outspoken voice and political influence, with its membership united (and supportive) against outrageous proposals, such as this. The huge membership of PM has a common bond. Instead of focusing all our efforts on how we can organize and unify to protect our sport as Will had envisioned, we seem to be focusing on how to make PM a commercially viable enterprise.

He must be rolling in his grave.

I'm making an open request to the Admins and Staff of PM. Please make it a priority to develop a defense strategy to save predator hunting! Start with a new Forum devoted to one thing, SOS (save our sport). Acquire a Mod with some political savvy, and the time and energy to draft proposals of our own, collect signatures from the thousands of PM members, and submit them to groups like the CO Wildlife Commission. No one person can save us. We need to develop our own Political Action Committee, to get things done. We can be heard above the whine of the bunny huggers if we just have a leader here on PM that we can get behind. We need to do this, and we need unconditional support from PM.

This is not meant to be a "When we get around to it" suggestion. This is URGENT. If we do nothing we will lose everything. Including any reason for Predator Masters to continue to exist!

Last edited:
I agree completely with NASA. This wouldn't be a difficult thing to do, i.e. draft a letter and get signatures. I don't know the MODs here. Are they listening to this thread?

I have compiled a list of email addresses for all of the Commissioners. Whenever, we are ready to go as one voice I'll send it to the official scribe.

Back