Cold weather clothes?

Don't buy anything from First Lite!.
I did, got thier Furnace base layers, wore the pants 4/5 times and the elastic band stretched so much they are unwearable. And this was just for bowhunting late season. Maybe 2 miles involved!.

Warranty claim was filed.
Response was, " normal wear n tear". No replacement but they were kind enough to offer me 30٪ off a future purchase ;)

Everything had to be done by email. I'm not good at that.
I asked for a phone call but got none. chicken shit company that won't stand beside their product.
So awesome to wear a pair of long underwear and spend about 30$ each time being worn(y)

I do like the tops though. Wore them maybe 10 times and so far, so good.

I have never had to use First Lite customer service but my son has. My son ripped the zipper in a pair of pants and contacted the company. First Lite replaced the pair of pants with a new pair at no cost to my son. We both have a bunch of First Lite clothing and that is the only time we have had an issue with any of it and that was handled satisfactorily.

Dress lose and in layers, as mentioned above use wool, wool pants. For outer wear on the legs think ski, pants, bibs are best. Cabela's has camo bibs that work great. the warmest would be to go to coveralls, if you don't have to walk to far, they get hot quick.
Other things neck gaiters, baclava, neck scarves.

For hands: do use chemical hand warmers in gloves and pockets. My son got me a rechargeable hand warmer from Ocoopa that is fantastic. I put that inside an camo muffler that wife got me and I really don't need gloves or I can use lighter gloves. All depends on what going on. I do have big heavy duty mittens used in Montana that if it got really bad I could put chemical hand warmers in but never needed to, open and close your hands to keep circulation going

Feet: wool sock, insulated boots and if it gets bad go to packs, then to VB boots and wiggle your toes to keep circulation going.

Here in W. Washington where it is not to cold I get by with long underwear, wool pants, that electric heater in my jacket pocket for my trigger hand, insulated glove on the other hand. wool socks and light insulated boots. Plus and nice cushy pad to sit on. That muffler does have a zippered pocket on the back for heaters, but I like the heater in with my hands. I usually have the remote right next to me and it is nice not having to take a heavy glove off an on to use it. That electric heat will go about 8 hours on a charge on low.

Think about how long you are going to spend on a stand, after 10 minutes, I am no longer thinking about coyotes, but am thinking about cats. Recently started thinking about cougar sitten even longer. A heated steering wheel and some hot to drink helps too.

When it comes to hunting in the cold, I usually layer up in various merino wools or alpaca wool. If it’s really cold(-20°F or colder) I will like to add heated gloves, vest, kidney belt, and socks. I like to be warm😊
A couple pictures I took of my son while out hunting in the in negative twenties from a couple years back.

Layering up with merino and alpaca wool is a smart choice, offering both insulation and moisture-wicking properties to keep you comfortable throughout your outdoor adventures. And adding heated accessories like gloves, vests, and socks for those extremely cold temperatures shows your commitment to staying warm and cozy.
Your dedication to ensuring warmth during your hunts is admirable and undoubtedly contributes to a more enjoyable experience outdoors. If you're ever looking to enhance your cold weather gear collection further, you might find it worthwhile to explore temu clothes. They offer a range of quality apparel designed to withstand harsh weather conditions while providing optimal comfort and performance.

Thanks for all the replies. Since I moved from CA to ID, I had a learning curve this winter. My hunting temperatures were in the 10s and 20s. The 30s felt like a summer day.

My key takeaway - use smartwool and layers on my core. The key to warm hands and feet is a warm core because my core will be willing to send blood to my hands if it is warm.

Also, the Sitka Incinerator Muff is awesome.

Celestron Elements ThermoTank | Celestron

CELESTRON ELEMENTS THERMOTANK 4400mah
Item #: 48011
. Durable, aluminum housed, long-lasting hand warmer with protective silicone caps
  • 4400 mAh lithium battery gives up to 6 hours of continuous heat
  • Charges via USB 2.0 for reuse
  • Ergonomically designed to fit easily in your pocket, glove compartment or pack
  • Includes USB charging cable and soft carry pouch

Wool / Merino wool / Base layer

backcountry.com

Woolrich wool pants ( bought off eBay $50

Vest & Socks / Gerbing

Gerbing wool electric socks

mycooling store.com

Wiring &connectors have lifetime warranty at Gerbing
Wool & alpaca socks

Mittens

Scentblocker Whitewater insulated sleeping bag glo mitt glommit glove
Also thin glove liners

Gamehide insulated hunting pants

Gamehide : naked North, camo coat/white camo/brown camo/reversible

Fleece facemask / Under Armor Cold weather facemask

Black Mickey Mouse Military cold weather boots ( bought off eBay/ new old stock from Alaska )

Last edited:
A warm welcome to CeliaMcclain and a question. I have viewed several advertisements from Temu and always feel leary of their very low prices. Are they for real, everything from China and are they a reputable operation willing to stand behind a product? Sort of a too good to be true kind of thing.

I wouldn't even bother with most of the "new clothes" just go out there and buy some old parkas, bibs, and one-pieces (can be the warmest imo) or whatever. Lots of layers of cotton/wool/down feather is what works. Better yet (by far, very far) would be real fur. The coldest people ive seen are the ones wearing the thin stylish new style camo thats made to sell on tv... being warm often makes you look stupid style wise.

Back