Changing Calibers on a Dillon Press

I don't need any tool head stands, and I have both the old wood base types as well as the newer cast ones.

But I like that implementation better & it' cost effective.

Originally Posted By: Mark204Originally Posted By: Stu Farishthis stand looks like a good idea:

Tool head stand

That looks better than the one offered by Dillon.

I've got three of them on the bench and the only problem is when you pick one up to move, the shell holder plate will drop through the slot it is in. They could have narrowed it up just a tad.

Here Kitty Kitty

I hated the adjustment bolt on the powder bar..so I got some of these..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-POWDER-ADJUST-KNOB-SHAFT-for-DILLON-BLUE-INDEX-/152438534567?hash=item237e0b71a7:g:W-oAAMXQLQJRFYjb

I wish these where around when I was looking...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-Precision-Powder-Thrower-Adjustment-Knob-Screw-Assembly-with-Graduation-/302046554591?hash=item465360a9df:g:5iYAAOSwJ7RYSWfV

Last edited:
Bearings lights and big knobs

I'm glad I'm not the only one hanging all these after market do-dads on my press.

Dillon should be offering some of these improvements.

Some day I'll have to check out a powder measure linkage thingy instead of relying on those two springs.

I have a powder actuator rod for each caliber, they are cheap and saves time for setup, I have them labeled with tape for the caliber.

Also here is another got to have Dillon item if you have access to good military brass with crimped primers..

And if you want speed things up LOL!!

Last edited:
for adjusting the powder measure I keep a 7/16" socket behind the press. That's also the bold heat size for the bolts that came in the mounting kit, so I just set it on the back right bolt head.

20170305_215823_zpsmk38pruj.jpg

I have arthritis in my hands, so I find the knob easier to grab and turn, I also found the stock knob on the press actuation handle easier on my hand than the roller handle upgrade (tried it on my buddy's press)..

Last edited:
Fellows ,

I called my local shop he has every thing I ordered except for one quick change which he expects Wednesday or Thursday.
You guys are numero uno .
But it seems no one uses Varget and that's my powder for .223 , plus I've got 11 or 12 pounds of it.

Thanks again for all the information .if anyone thinks of anything else please chime in.
Semper Fi
Soup

I

Last edited:
I used some varget loading 22-250, it seemed to meter reasonably well for a coarse grained stick powder.

Soup, I have been using Varget as my go to coyote round in .223 for three years and love it, in fact Varget is a great propellant all around for a number of calibers..
During the "great powder shortage" my local gun shop always had Varget on the shelf, and being a big fan of the Hodgen family of propellants,I starting using it.

I don't have a way to actually use the plate. My bench in in front of 2 windows, no wall to mount it to.

I need to design & make a wall to mount to the back of my bench. I'm thinking one day I might use peg board & do that.

Both the light & the primer bar came in today. Still have to install them.

Reading the instructions on the primer bar, it may require some minor fitting, depending on the press. Doesn't look to be a problem, just a possible contact point to check & if needed, clear up a tad.

I suggest playing with the side light position to make sure the shell plate base won't make contact.

The primer plate did not require any alteration to fit my press. On some it's possible for the 30 degree cut to touch the ram.

Heres a little accesory my dad made for me when he still worked at a machine shop. Works great for adjusting powder measure. Just turn it by hand, no wrench required.

Nice upgrade.. I would assume the springs that look like boot bands from the military are to ensure the block slides back to reset?

Back